Suggestion for first time Mac Buyer (MacMini or PowerMac G5 2.3)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by atcskyfox, Feb 1, 2006.

1. atcskyfox macrumors newbie

Looking to dive into OSX and could pickup a MacMini or PowerMac G5 2.3 from Best Buy this weekend. Which would you suggest? I know of the great speed difference however which would be a better overall introduction to OSX. Thanks.

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

That is such a leap between the two machines that I'd say neither may be the best solution.

The Mac Mini is a fine machine, so you might want to try it first. Just be sure to add some RAM, no matter which machine you choose.

I think a better introduction might be an iMac though.

3. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

No offense to Mini owners, but your question is a little like "Hey! I'm buying a new car - should a get a Honda Accord or a Ferrari?" What are your uses with your new Apple going to be like? But as far as the OS experience, they would be almost identical, except for a few differences in programs between the consumer and pro models.

4. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Intel iMac

Get an iMac as you can afford one if you are thinking about getting a PowerMac. You want to get a mac with an intel chip otherwise you will regret it when software is made for intel only.

5. crazydrumma macrumors regular

Get mac, don't go best buy route!

I would say get an imac as well, but do yourself a favor and don't get it from Best Buy! My family has bought things from best buy only to have the employees treat you like an idiot, have terrible customer service, and more! My parents bought a $2,000 Compaq desktop, and got tons of viruses. We took it into Best Buy to get it fixed. It took weeks for them to do it, and when we got it back, there was a huge dead spot line down the display, and the CD RW tray will not open! I definitely say "Awesome! Mac all the way!" But please don't order from Best Buy, you will regret it terribly.

6. nutmac macrumors 68030

Sounds like you already have a nice LCD. If your choice really is between Mac mini and PowerMac, and you really don't want another LCD on your desk (iMac), wait a bit for the Intel version of Mac mini. That said, iMac has a DVI output to accomodate your existing LCD. If you have space, it is nice to have an extra LCD.

7. Swami macrumors newbie

Buy the mini

I just bought a refurbished mini at the Apple store. Received the 1.5, 64 MB card. It is a great way to start with Apple and keep your price under $850. (Apple Care and Office). I know eventually I will be buying another one so I figured I might as well learn how to drive on the Honda first. There are some great deals out there, you just have to spend some time to hunt them up.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

I bought a mini almost exactly one year ago as my introduction to Mac and OS X, and have not regretted it one bit. I also have an iMac now, but prefer the mini most of the time because I use it with a 20" ws display (dell 2005fpw), while the iMac is only 17" ws. If you already have a nice display, the mini is a great buy; in my case, however, it got me interested in the 20" and I had to have it. I'm sure the PowerMacs are nice, but the mini is a great and inexpensive way to test the waters. After you do you will never go back!

9. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I started out with a Mac mini, Revision A, fully loaded. The only thing that wasn't maxed out was the RAM - I had 512. In my opinion, it was a great intro to OS X and I still think it is an excellent machine for my needs. I have since upgraded to 1 gig of RAM and I couldn't be happier. I sue photoshop, ALL of the iApps, and I have no problem. Great machine to start with. Soon after I bought the mini, I got an iBook G4, see sig, but I really only use that in school. Both are great starter machines, but I recommend waiting because Apple's PowerPC line will be totally refreshed soon.

10. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Adobe DOES have some pretty deep pockets...