Suggestions for a 5-6 level deep menu system?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by johnbro23, Dec 30, 2006.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

Apr 12, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would post the link of the current page, but it requires a password. Their current layout is confusing - you can't tell where you are or even figure out how you got there.

Unless any of you have any ideas of how to incorporate a 5-6 level deep infrastructure in an intuitive menu, I think the number of levels has to be reduced to 3.

So my question would be what sort of menu would you suggest for a 3-level-deep menu system? Static style? Tabbed style? Some javascript slide-out menu? Also, any suggestions for additional layers, if condensing it to 3 isn't feasible?
  2. heehee macrumors 68020

Jul 31, 2006
    Same country as Santa Claus
    The first rule they teach in Webdesign 101 is the 3 click rule. If a page can't be reached in 3 clicks, find a way.
  3. desenso macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2005
    Seriously... that sounds awfully complicated... how can you possibly navigate a 5-deep menu?
  4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Break the site navigation up into major areas based on how the customers will be using it. Its rare that a site is totally horizontal, that is, that each sub page has to be directly accessible from each other sub page.

Look at Apple: Apple (products) - Store - iPod/iTunes - dot Mac - Quicktime - Support - OS

Everything fits under these silos of interest.

Moving menus are always a problem, whether they slide or expand or whatever. They won't work on some browsers, size/readability/description are always at odds, and even when they do, it requires hand-eye coordination to 'fly' the mouse to the desired submenu without dropping it or accidentally activating something else.