Suggestions for a good P&S

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by beatzfreak, Apr 21, 2006.

1. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

I'm going to a few concerts this summer and since most venues don't allow cameras with a detachable lens, I'm looking for a good P&S for low lighting and motion shots.

I have a Sony DCS-W1 and after trying all the manual settings, am not happy with the quality under these conditions. So far, the farthest back I'm sitting is 6th row, 20 - 30 feet from the stage. Brand, size or price is not an issue, zoom may be helpful and I understand these conditions are not favorable for a P&S.

Anything better out there than what I have or should I just stick with the Sony?
    My Olympus C-3000 just died. It was the best camera I ever owned, but not sure about Oly in these conditions.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've been to dpreview and various sites, but you guys are the best when it comes to narrowing the field.

2. ksz macrumors 68000

There are many factors that go into any decision like this so I can only speak for myself. Under the circumstances you described I would almost certainly choose the new Canon S3 IS...and I would wait until May/June when it becomes available. It has a 36-432mm 12x optical zoom, image stabilization, and ISO 800 for low-light steadyshot images.