Suggestions for computers with tons of RAM...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mmmcheese, Jul 12, 2006.

1. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

Ok, I'm looking for a machine in a category I'm not all that familiar with, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

I'm doing some research where I need some fairly serious quantities of memory. Although my work is computationally intensive, at this point, memory size is even more critical. I'm looking to buy a system with 4GB of RAM, but this is a minimum...I want to be able to upgrade this at a later point when 4GB runs out, and when I have some more funding. I'm hoping for dual processor with an extra socket for a second processor later, but I'm open to other options (even if I can never go above 2 processors total...either 1 dual core, or 2 single core).

Platform isn't really that important...x86, PPC, Sparc, etc....doesn't matter. At this point I don't even care about OS, since all of the software is written in Java.

My budget is limited, but (hopefully) not unreasonable....

Suggest away! :) Thanks.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. mmmcheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

Been there already...Sun seems to be a complete rip off. I compare a machine, and a similarly equiped machine from IBM...the IBM was about $2300 and the Sun machine was $5600.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

What's wrong with the Power Mac G5? They support up to 16 GB RAM. I also work with the HP XW9300 dual Opteron workstations at work, nice machines. Or if you don't need 3D why not look at a server? The HP Proliant DL385 dual Opteron can use a huge amount of RAM. If that isn't enough computational power you can check out the DL585 which has support for up to 4 processors.

It might actually be easier if you tell us your budget.

5. mmmcheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

I have considered the Power Mac. So far, it's my most affordable option...I'm just trying to consider all options. There's no 3D being used. I don't think I said it had to be a Workstation, a server is fine too.

Honestly, I don't know my budget...but I've been told "the cheaper, the better."

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If 3D isn't needed a HP Proliant may be your cheapest option. Here's a quick run down:

DL380G4 - up to Dual Xeon dual core 2.8 GHz, up to 8 GB RAM
    DL385 - up to Dual Opteron 2.8 GHz, up to 16 GB RAM
    DL585 - up to Quad Opteron 2.8 GHz, too much RAM :D

I work with all of these machines (and other models) daily and I can't fault them. Great machines. Very cheap for what you actually get.

7. mmmcheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

Any experience with the DL145? That was one I was looking at when I was looking on the HP site the other day. Not quite as expandable, but it looks interesting anyway.

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I've seen 1 once I have not spent much time with them. I just jumped on the Proliant site and it looks like a fine machine. If expandability isn't required that could be perfect for you. I love the Proliant hardware, and software. I also work with other brands but if I was buying for myself I'd go with the Proliant.

9. mmmcheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

As much as I like the better expandability of the DL3xx, I'm thinking that my supervisor will decide that the lower price of the DL1xx will win out. Plus, I have to propose multiple options.

When I was pricing stuff out a few days ago, a dual 2.0GHz G5 Power Mac was still slightly cheaper than the DL145 when I put in 4GB of RAM. I was a bit surprised.

Thanks for the help.

10. risc macrumors 68030

risc

You are comparing the price of ECC RAM to normal RAM. Just like with Apple you will be better off if you look for certified RAM from another supplier. :)

11. mmmcheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

I was, in both cases. And yes, I know one has ECC RAM, and one doesn't...but one REQUIRES it. Since this isn't a high availability system, I think non-ECC RAM will be just fine (although I could be wrong).