Suggestions for creating photo directory?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ultrafiel, Jun 23, 2004.

1. ultrafiel macrumors member

I have a project to create a photo directory of the members in an organization. There are around 200 people that will be on it, and I'm looking for the best way to put it together. I have a digital photo of each current member, but want an easy way to keep things working with additions or changes. All I need is a print-out of the photos with their corresponding names and telephone numbers. It should have around 30 people on a page. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this? I was thinking some kind of database, maybe in Filemaker, but was hoping there are some templates for that or another program that I didn't have to set everything up for. Thanks for the help.

2. reaper macrumors 6502

3. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

definetly do a database as it will give the most flexibility down the road. As for templates, unfortunately, I don't know fo any off the top of my head. Perhaps Google could locate some.

5. reaper macrumors 6502

BTW, I was just kidding. I would definitely go with a database approach. Which one all depends on what UI you are most comfortable with.

- reaper

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Dunno if PC users will have to read the database, but you could always print to PDF.

Attached Files:

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Why *not* just use address book? It will work just fine for printing a basic directory. You wouldn't have more than basic control over output, but it produces a totally serviceable directory. For a few more options, you could consider something like NOW Contact. A database is overkill for this project.

8. ultrafiel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice

thanks for the advice so far. I need to print hard copies of this, so I'll be making it also available as a pdf. I can't really use address book, because although nice, I need to fit more people on a page. I though of Photoshops contacts sheets, but I don't know if I can add the extra info I need. I think I'll be going to Filemaker still, but if there is anything else you can think of let me know. Thanks.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You could also use the "mailing label wizard" feature in MS word. Essentially you'd be doing a mail merge; you could use Excel to store the names/pictures. I haven't checked to make sure the photos would work using this setup, though.

10. reaper macrumors 6502

I think the address book would be a great way to do it in an informal setting (which is why I joked about it in the first place), but for a formal, job-related task I think that the address book would be quite limiting in the output and customizability arenas. There are better ways to produce a higher quality product and, if you are using a database for the project, you can tie in all of the information so that you have a complete and seemless information source for all of the personnel needs of the company.

- reaper