Suggestions for External Hard drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fussball, Sep 29, 2003.

1. fussball macrumors regular

I have an iBook 700 and the 30GB HD is not cutting it anymore, and also I already lost all the data on it once last year (during final exams, to boot), so I want a larger HD to back everything up with. It doesn't need to be portable or anything, just a drive to keep in my dorm room and back up all of my stuff on. It would probably be best as a FW drive. I am thinking something of a size such that I can use it for a while- maybe 60 or 80 GB any suggestions? There is a ton of stuff available and I am not really sure where to start.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I suggest OWC . I have one of their drives, and unlike most other drives, theres no fan and the case is really well made. This means that its as close to silent as it gets with computers. Its fast, reliable, and I got it for a pretty reasonable price.

I got the 120GB USB 2.0/Firewire version.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

If it were me, I'd roll my own by getting an ADS Pyro Drive kit (or similar) and a good-sized IDE hard drive -- may as well think big and get 100 gigs or so. It'll be easily upgradable to faster drives later, or I could change my mind and put in an external DVD burner, etc.

In fact, I'm doing just the opposite right now. I have a Pioneer DVD burner in a Firewire enclosure, but since my 12" PB (coming on Thursday!) will have one built in, I'm thinking of swapping it out with a big hard drive to use as external storage.

5. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

lacie d2
    works for me
    cheap as chips
    nuff said

6. pjkelnhofer macrumors 6502a

pjkelnhofer

I wanted a back up for the hard drive in my iMac so I bought an 120 GB Maxtor drive (about $100 at Overstock.com) and simply bought a firewire case to put it (about $30 in the clearance bin at MicroCenter).
    That gave me 120 GB of external storage for just under $1/GB. That give me twice the storage for the same money as an off the shelf firewire drive.

7. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

yeah i also have a LaCie d2 200 GB FW 800 drive and am quite happy with it.

8. gorman macrumors member

I highly recommend the EzQuest Cobra line. They're pretty cheap, and the fastest of the offered drives. The enclosure is on the bigger side, but it's still perfectly portable and will fit on your desk just fine. Also, they come pre-formatted to work nicely between both Macs and PCs.

This is the one I have: http://www.smalldog.com/product/40454

9. advres Guest

advres

either buy a prebuilt drive from OWC or buy the pieces from them and build it yourself. building is super easy and real cheap.

10. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

.mac users get discounts on smart disk external HD's. I got an 80 gig HD for 90 dollars after the 30 dollar mail in rebate. It works good. It doesn't have the sex appeal of the lacies but it looks fine.

11. fussball thread starter macrumors regular

I ended up getting a Fantom Drives 80GB external drive. At $100 is was hard to beat the price, and it is a 7200rpm dirve, in a nice looking case.

12. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I agree, LaCie or Iomega, make great external drives

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Build your own!

I would recommend that you build your own. Get an external FW case, and an IDE harddrive. And voila! You would be set.

Two things to pay attention to. First, get a 120 drive MAXIMUM, I tried to go above that and I had issues.

Second, find a good deal on the external case and the hard drive. www.slickdeals.net and www.techbargains.com will let you know when you can get a fast 120GB HD with a nice rebate.

Enjoy!

14. huntsman macrumors member

Hmm, those OWC enclosures look the same as the Macpower ones:

http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/

Not that this is a bad thing... just nice to know who makes them (I'll probably be getting a Macpower Icecube myself to complement and back up my iBook's 40 gigger) :)