suggestions for *lean&mean* system set-up

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by graydecember, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

if you cant afford a 1gb dimm for your ibook leave it at 256 and then upgrade to full.

for p2p use bit torent ( www.suprnova.tk )

no need for anything like zone alarm.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Re: suggestions for *lean&mean* system set-up

If performance matters, absolutely yes. RAM doesn't cost that much, and it makes a big difference. 384 is skimpy at best--get at least 512.

Since it'll ship with 10.3, reformatting probably isn't necessary, but if it makes you feel better (or you want to partition the hard drive) you might as well. Actually, doing an install from the OS discs and only installing the parts you want is probably a much better idea than trying to remove them--for example, all the extra language files or printer drivers can be deselected at install. Probably not a big performance difference, but saves some drive space, at least.

Don't use much, but BitTorrent; either Fugu for freeware FTP or your choice of Transmit or my favorite Interarchy for more features if you don't mind paying; Safari works fine, I like Camino too (make sure to get a nightly build, though), or OmniWeb 5 if you really want the features (Mozilla Firebird isn't bad, either), and I'd just use Apple's Mail.app for mail. You wouldn't want to use IE even if it was an option--IE5 is nearly worthless.

The MacOS absolutely does not contact Apple other than when you first set up the computer to register, and even then only if you expressly give it permission to. OSX also has a fully-functional built-in firewall that probably works better than ZoneAlarm ever did (turn it on under Sharing). If you're exceedingly paranoid, you can use Brickhouse to set it up with even more paranoia, or just get a cheap router to abstract your computer from the Internet. Virus protection, if you ask me, is pointless right now--the anti-virus apps for the Mac all have significant reliability penalties, and there are currently ZERO non-Word-macro viruses that run on OSX. When one eventually does pop up, then buy some protection, but no sense in destabilizing your system for no good reason right now.

Get TinkerTool--it has lots of ease-of-use tweaks and a few that enhance performance. Otherwise, the less you install, the better.

No idea on #2, but good luck with your new computer.

3. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

Get Cronnix and schedule the Cron (maintenance tasks) to run automatically at a time your computer will be running every day. This maintenance is built into OS X but it is historically for servers and is set to run at 3 to 5am which is not much use to most home users - but the cron is very imporstant in keeping your Mac running sweet.

4. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Re: suggestions for *lean&mean* system set-up

I hook My George Forman grill up directly to the ethernet jack and use the USB 2.0 to connect the blender for the rum smoothies.

5. graydecember thread starter macrumors member

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

did you get extra RAM? i got and extra 1GB for my PB (on top of the 512MB it came with) and i've noticed a massive difference in speed. RAM is really important for that.

also, i was going to say don't install the additional languages that Panther installs as standard, it's about an extra 400MB or something i think. but you said you did a minimum install, so that should be cool.:cool:

if you want to control what info your computer sends out via the web, you should get an neat little app called LittleSnitch. you can stop any outgoing connections, really useful. sorry i don't have a link, but you should be able to find it. ;)

and P2P... BitTorrent is good, also i've found Acquisition to be fairly decent.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Ever wonder how Apple finds out how many active users of OS X there are out there? There's also a Rendezvous service called "OS X Duplicate Suppression", but I haven't figured out exactly what that's for yet.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Running Server? But Apple can easily find out the number of active users by the number of copies bought or so. It is only an estimate, not scientific fact.