Suggestions for Monitor/Studio Speakers

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kingkezz, Jul 28, 2006.

1. kingkezz macrumors regular

I'm slowly building my edit suite. Next on the list is some good quality monitor/studio speakers. I was just wondering what you guys use or reccommend for playback.

2. RndmAxess macrumors regular

3. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

If you have a pair of speakers thay you already own and are keen on, consider the Sonic Impact T-Amp. Here are a couple of reviews. TNT-Audio and 6 Moons Audio. I had mine remounted in another container. Here are some others who have done this. diyAudio

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I think the best help you can give us is a price range that you expect to purchase within. Audio qualtiy is extremely subjective, and you'll get a whole host of replies illustrating that.

So, what price range are you looking in?

5. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I use Alesis Monitor One Mk2 Actives, I'm pretty happy with them though they show up the hopeless acoustics in my room. They cost around £250. Suggestions greatly depend on you budget.

6. howinson macrumors member

Stat your budget
    Monitors can fetch from $300 - 25,000 and more

7. jazzmfk macrumors member

Jersey. Route 78, exit 24. Gotta problem with th
    Hey -

I think it also depends upon what you're going to be using them for. I've had a pair of Yamaha NS10Ms for 10+ years. They aren't the loudest, but they are crystal clear in the middle register at moderate volume - perfect for composition/arranging in a smallish studio.

Sound is such a personal thing, too. You should perhaps use this board to get some ideas....but you've got to hear them yourself.

And, of course, as others have said, price really matters.

MFK

8. kingkezz thread starter macrumors regular

It'll be for a private edit workstation.

Anywhere under $AU500

I've heard good things about these. What do people think of them? How much do they cost?

9. Jesus macrumors 6502

I swear by my Tivoli model 2 with subwoofer (turned on very low). If you are ok with headphones, get the best you can afford from grado. I have dome SR 80s and they are truly awesome.

10. Toreador93 macrumors regular

I don't have any personal experience, but I've heard that M-Audio monitors are pretty good for the price, which should be in your budget.

11. howinson macrumors member

12. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I second that!

I have Tannoy Reveal 8D's and they are great. Nice for listening to during extended periods of mixing - tight bass - great. The 6D's are also in this range and are more suited to your price range but I don't have experience with those.

Anoyone else had any experience with the Tannoy Reveal 6D's?

13. kingkezz thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think it's a bit of overkill on my behalf. All I really want is a good quality set of speakers which I can playback whatever is on my timelime in Final Cut.

Or are they necessary if you want to get serious about your sound?

14. allroy macrumors member

Passive or Powered also

I got a set of passive KRK ST8's that have a very good and flat sound. They 6's have a muddy sound to them. The Rokits seem to be a very good value for a powered monitor.

15. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Well you know, Studio monitors are really only there to give an accurate reflection of the sound you're working with. The more you spend usually runds parallel to how accurate they are.

Hi-Fi speakers aren't accurate as the sound is coloured to make it sound more appealing. Expensive Monitors are important if you're a composer or a songwriter - or an engineer for that matter. For FC then you could probably manage with a good $200+ pair. How about Yamaha?

16. rjstanford macrumors 6502

Well. Yes and no. I'd recommend getting a halfway decent set, but really anything works as long as there's reasonable reproduction, with one caveat. Listen to your monitors. Play everything you own on 'em. Then do it again. Learn how they sound, and mix accordingly.

The advantage to transparent, expensive speakers is that they're easier to "learn," and when you use someone else's transparent expensive speakers there's not much of a learning curve. The disadvantage is that they can be hella-expensive.

17. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Yes! I agree compeletly. It's not only important to figure out how stuff sounds on them but also in the context of the room you've put them in (acoustics etc).

18. ammon macrumors regular

One day I would like to get a nice pair of studio speakers also...

For now I will have to settle with my Sound Stiks II.

Why not just get a good pair of studio headphones instead? They are cheaper and you don't have to take into consideration the room or other sound variables.

19. kingkezz thread starter macrumors regular

I just can't use headphones for a long period of time, I find them uncomfortable and they make my ears' hot!

20. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

Mackie HR624

The Mackie HR624's will blow away anything else in their price range. I've listened to them up against many other worthy and more expensive competitors and they win or tie everything else in their price range.

If you want to learn way too much about why they win, let me know and I can explain in more detail.

21. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Mackies, Genelecs, Tannoys, they're all good. What you'll also need are isolation pads for the bottoms and sound absorbing material on the back walls to minimize sound reflections.

22. kingkezz thread starter macrumors regular

They look very nice, but US$500 for one monitor - I think I need to reassess and bring my head out of the clouds...

23. howinson macrumors member

sure anot ??
    it boils down to personal preference,

24. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

for editing i would recommend krk v4 series 2. nice speakers and they editted spiderman 2 on them. they are about $250 USD each. but i know you could find them for $200 each on sale.

read a review on them, plenty of stuff off google. and better yet go listen to them. (and some others too)