Suggestions for new Mac hardware.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by selloutvixen, Feb 6, 2004.

1. selloutvixen macrumors member

selloutvixen

Now.

Right now I have a iMac from about 2001 and a Fujitsu Pentium III laptop.

Both are no longer suiting my needs, so I want to upgrade with my precious tax return funds. I have roughly a budget of 2,000. (USD)

I was thinking of an iBook, but was wondering what the advantage of purchasing a PowerBook would be? Bluetooth isn't essential. However, a superdrive would be nice. I'd be using it mostly for iPhoto, iChat, iTunes (burning CD's and such), web browsing, and other general applications such as text edit and maybe some adobe illustrator.

Also, is the refurbished models on apple's website a pretty safe bet? I know they come with a warranty, but has anyone had a bad experience with them? What does the warranty cover exactly?

Any suggestions?

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

It sounds like a 12 inch powerbook with a superdrive would be right for you, but I recommend waiting until the suspected powerbook updates/price drops appear before making any moves.

As to refurbished macs, they are usually a pretty safe bet. My brother just ordered a refurbished powermac 1.6Ghz and I hope it will work great for him! (Seeing as how I recommended it):D

3. machem macrumors member

Here you go (Refurbished from Apple Store):

PowerBook G4 867MHz/256MB/40GB/SuperDrive/E/12"TFT - Refurbished
    Add
    $1,399.00

PowerBook G4 1GHz/256MB/40GB/SuperDrive/E/12"TFT
    Add
    $1,549.00

(When they are available, 867MHz combos are $1199.) Macconnection has the former for $1250. Any of these are good deals. Just don't buy RAM from the Apple Store; get it from crucial.com or owc.com.

There will always be a new powerbook coming out "soon". Sure, you can wait, but you might be waiting a long time.

4. mms macrumors 6502a

I agree with the recommendation of refurbished computers, but would also advise you to wait. 12'' PowerBooks haven't been updated in a while and since the iBook G4 is so close to it, PB's have been due for an update for a while. G5 PowerBooks are also supposed to be out sometime this year so if you can wait, I suggest that you do so.

5. machem macrumors member

Like I said in another thread, I wouldn't wait for new powerbooks, 12" G4 or G5, especially, unless you are prepared to wait a long time. Unless the situation is like last summer, when something (15") HAD to happen SOMETIME, it isn't worth it to wait, IMHO. Especially if you aren't a so-called power user (it doesn't sound like you are --- not trying to offend, by the way).

6. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i would say that a refurb might be your best bet for sure

7. selloutvixen thread starter macrumors member

selloutvixen

A friend of mine has the 12" G4 and I love it. The fujitsu I have now is 14" and it's a little too big, so the 12" is the perfect size. Bigger is definitely not better in this case.

I definitely don't want to have to wait for the G5. I'd rather go for the G4, but if the refurbished models are just as good, I think I'd like to go that route.

No offense taken, don't worry. :)

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i agree with the posts that say to go for the 12 refurb. you will be happy