Suggestions for Shuttle

Discussion in 'Games' started by efoto, Jun 29, 2005.

1. efoto macrumors 68030

I realize this isn't about Mac systems, or consoles, but the games section is the only place it fits, sorry IA.

After reading a few threads discussing AMD's and Intel's latest offerings, I was just curious what all you gamers thought about which setup would make a good current gaming rig. I really want to get out of Windows as much as possible as I am loving my Mac (my first), however I am being a realist and stating that gaming is just better and easier on Windows :(

I have my current system at home which I will turn into a server once I get back, my PowerBook which acts as daily use/productivity, and then I want to build a shuttle-system for easy transport and gaming, also hopefully a killer folidng machine because I don't like folding 24/7 on the PB. So suggestions on cpu, mobo, shuttle cases, and vid card would be greatly appreciated. I have enough harddrives to spare one large one for this, and RAM is easy to get....but the other pieces I would love some help on, thanks.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As far as I know, all Shuttle cases come with the motherboard included, so that simplifies things a bit.

It might be easier (although probably a bit more expensive) to buy a complete Shuttle system. That way, you know that all the components will work together and won't overheat in the confined space.

3. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

Looking at the site currently, but the problem is that I really don't want a full system because I have a lot of extra hardware that I can use to save on cost, which is pretty important because I don't have a lot of money to spend on this endeavor. Their cheapest "gaming" rig starts at $1100. I don't need things like OS (our school recently let us download copies of MS Server and XP, awesome deal), keyboard/mouse, RAM, HD.

I was really more concerned with mobo chipset, cpu, and vid simply because I haven't been in the gaming arena in a while and I don't know what the latest and great gaming chips are and vid cards.

4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Biostar iDeq shuttles are pretty nice and cheap they come with a motherboard so all you need to add for gaming would be:

-Sempron or High end 64-bit AMD processor depending on what you need
    -Raptor SATA HD best for gaming
    -1gb RAM
    -Good graphics card, I know the iDeq SHuttle shave space for big cards with fans etc..

They also look good and are nice and easy to build basically just pop the processor HD Optical drive and graphics card in and youve got yourself a nice system...

ShadOW :D

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Maybe I should've paid attention to your original post :rolleyes:

It's good to get stuff free from school though, piles of free stuff :D I have Windows, Project, SQL Server, and Visual Studio :)

6. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

Any good places to get them from? I usually do most of my hardware research and many purchases through newegg.com but I don't see much shuttle stuff on their site :(

As far as the processor goes, I figured AMD would be a winner for a gaming rig (they usually are) however I wasn't sure about the technology because like I said I haven't been into it lately. I read a few reviews praising the X2 but that is a little out of my pricerange, and for a game-only shuttle I don't think dual-core would really do all that much really (regardless if it would, I can't afford it!). Are Semprons the new Athlon or am I missing something?

7. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Sempron is the budget version of the Athlon.

I bought a Shuttle SN25P recently. It looks nice, somewhat big for a SFF, but still much smaller than a miditower.
    Takes standard DDR1 RAM (PC3200), and have SATA, IDE and floppy connectors. I have 1 SATA Harddrive and a IDE DVD burner myself.
    It's a PCI Express only system, so no standard PCI or AGP slots. You'll need a PCIe graphic card. This also means you can't put, e.g. an Audigy 2 for sound, since its PCI... but it does come with integrated Envy24 sound which is great for music and movies, and Ok for games (it also have analogue, digital coax and sp/dif output). Creative is coming out with a new soundcard later this year, which will hopefully be available in PCIe format.
    It use the nForce4 chipset which is the newest and best one available from NVIDIA.

I put in a Athlon64 3200+, NVIDIA 6600GT graphics card and a gig of RAM. The games I have seem to run fine so far... I bought a low-end Athlon64 since I plan to buy the X2 when it comes down in price a bit (and it wasn't available anyway when I built my system).

This Shuttle is kind of expensive, though. Search around for a good price.

If you get an Athlon system, make sure you buy a CPU with the Venice core. They're cooler than the old ones, plus have a few other enhancements and fixes.

8. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks dubbz, didn't know that about the AMD cores, I'll keep that in mind. I want to semi-futureproof the purchase (socket 939 for future stuff) but at the same time I really just want to slim down my setup and get things cooking again, like they were a year and a half ago. Oh well, not all that important but it would still be fun. I'll check into the shuttle you mentioned, as well as the other stuff, thanks.

9. cubist macrumors 68020

I have the older socket 939 shuttle (95G9?). I got it from newegg.com. It uses an AGP graphics card rather than the PCI Express. It cost around $300 for the case/ps/motherboard; the whole system ended up around $700. It is fast, quiet and cool. It's a nice gaming machine and saves a lot of space.

For gaming you don't need a 64-bit CPU. You might save money with a Sempron. You could consider Micro-ATX, which isn't as small as the Shuttle/SFF boxes but, being generic, will be much less expensive. I recently built a micro-ATX machine for around $400 with a Socket 754 AMD64; using a Sempron I probably could have got it for $300.

Consider buying a used machine. PCs depreciate very fast, especially gaming machines. Find another gamer who's itching to upgrade.

One other thing, these boxes may be small, but they're not very portable because of the spaghetti of cables coming out of the back.

10. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I get all of my stuff from Newegg. They ship very fast and all of their stuff if well-priced.

With the introduction of the new Athlon 64 X2's, you should be able to find price cuts on the older Athlon 64's. As for recommended system specs, here's what I would get right now:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    1 GB RAM
    WD Raptor 74 GB Hard Drive
    Radeon x800xt (I would suggest the x850, but its heatsink and fan are alot bigger, so I'm thinking that it would be a rather right fit into a SFF PC)

11. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

I notice a lot of people lately having Sempron gaming setups, how is your setup working out Capt.U? That Athlon 64, is there any point in getting a 64bit chip if the sole (more or less) purpose of the system is for gaming? Are there any games or game-related calculations that would ever take advantage of a 64bit chip?
    RAM is easy, I actually have extra I can use for a while. HD up my a**, tons of space sitting around because I have no more mounting place in my cases. A new video card....hmmm, that is where the money kicks in hard. I am thinking for the time being to save funds, I might take my 9800Pro from my current desktop and use it for the gaming rig for a bit until I can afford a new ATI card, but an older GeForce card in the current desktop, since it will just do word-processing/school tasks and act as a server.

I almost always purchase from Newegg, or at least I prefer to based on good prices and fast shipping.

12. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

If you plan on playing Doom 3, go with the Athlon 64 processor. It friggin FLYS on it. Plus Farcry has a 64-bit edition now that is a lot faster. :D

13. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

This may sound really stupid (could very well be) but, if I had a 64-bit edition of Farcry, would it play fine with other 32-bit versions online and in lan? I realize it should, but just curious.

I honestly had no idea that there were games out with 64-bit support, awesome that technology in gaming is going there too, means great things for the future of graphics and gaming.