Suggestions for Speakers >...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Fender2112, Aug 28, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

I'm getting my new system soon and will need a set of speakers. I'm open to suggestions. Nothing fancy. I'd like to keep it under $150.

Thanks

2. macrumors 68040

tazo

3. macrumors 68000

Gymnut

If you're willing to spend approx $20 (U.S) more, look at Klipsch's Promedia 2.1 system. Have yet to hear another 2.1 system rival it and puts most home stereo systems to shame. Incidently, Klipsch recently released a 2.1 version of their GMX lineup, the GMX A-2.1 for $150.00 but I find it lacks the oomph that the original Promedia 2.1 delivers. www.klipsch.com > Products > Promedia

The Promedia design hasn't changed since its first induction. Not much to look at in comparison to soundsticks or the JBL creature speakers but they blow those sets out the door hands down.

4. macrumors regular

I agree - i am listening to the system now and it's quite clean! I work in the music industry - if that means anything - and I need nice speakers.

Also, I would have gone for a smaller sub if the choice was available then. My sub sits it a corner and I have it turned all the way down and it rocks me. Go for the GMX A-2.1 for $150.00

5. macrumors regular

I would also agree and say that the Klipsch's are amazing.

Don't mean to get off topic, but does anyone know if I will need to by an extra audio card to hook up my 4.1 system to my G5 ? and how do people hook up a 5.1 system ? there is only one audio in ?

6. macrumors 6502

if you can find them for around/under $150. the Logitech Z-560 4.1s are great sounding, if a little overpowered on the low end, but overall they sound great for the price, i love mine.i couldnt beleive the difference in quality when i hooked these up after using some small altec lansing 2.1s for a while.

Also i know monsoon makes some really nice sounding flat panel computer speakers.

7. macrumors 68030

cr2sh

8. macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I don't think you need to buy any extra equipment to hook them up to the Mac but to take advantage of 5.1 capabilities you need a Revolution 7.1 sound card from M-Audio. I also recommend the Logitech Z-560 4.1 setup. Can anyone here confirm my first statement?

9. macrumors 6502

I like the look of those speakers! I half expect the seams to glow blue, a la Tron.

Anyway. If the Klipsch 2.1's are ~150, and these Bose ones are ~100.... does that mean that the Klipsch sub is only worth fifty bucks? Is that bad? Does it matter?

10. macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Yup, you'll need a multi-channel soundcard to take advantage of the 5.1 capabilities. You can get away without having a sound card in a 4.1 setup by using a Y-adapter to plug into the audio in port on the back of your Mac but that cannot be achieved with a 5.1 setup because of the additional middle channel. As for the Bose speakers mentioned on this thread, haven't heard them although I find Bose in general overpriced, it's up to the buyer to beware and listen to them themselves.

11. macrumors 68000

neut

but if he's getting a G5 the optical outs will support 5.1; that is, if he's getting speakers with optical ins...

12. macrumors 6502a

amin

13. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just thought i 'd comment, i dont know your system but the pro speakers and isub do me very well for one office/room. they look and match so well with the imacs/g4 powermacs.edit- forgive and cube. also 1 more comment the isub can kick it out i usually only use half power.

14. macrumors regular

So if I used a Y-adapter with my 4.1 system would this take advantage of all the channels ? or would it just play the 2 but out of all four speakers ?

does apple sell this adapter ? or do i go third party ?

15. macrumors 68030

cr2sh

You're right, it would play only two channels, the L & R as compared to a 4.1 with a front R & L and a rear R & L. The Y-adapter can be picked up at pretty much any store that sells stereos.. its just a plug adapter.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_007_002_001_002&product_id=274-313

I think that's what he's talking about, though I don't see much of a point to it from a gaming standpoint... audio-wise I guess more speakers are always better. If you're going to go 4.1 speakers, make sure it has an optical in so you can actually use the surround sound.

16. macrumors regular

I love my new creatures speakers.. they sound great 129 and look way Cool

17. macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I guess if 4.1 setups are no good I'd grab the Klipsch 2.1 setup.

18. macrumors regular

Yea thats what I thought. So then the only way to take advantage of my 4.1 for DVD's and Games is to put out the $100 for that 7.1 sound card ? I'm guessing this is a dumb question but would I be able to take my audigy sound card out of my PC put it in my G5 and Hook the 4.1 up to that ? I'm Guessing no.

Also Is it true that most mac versions of games dont even have surround sound in them since most mac users dont have surround capabilities in their machines ?

19. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Thanks for The info. I'll do some checking around to see if can find some of these. I still a few weeks before my system arrives.