Suggestions for spilled milk inside car...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AJ Muni, Mar 6, 2007.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Aug 4, 2005
    Well my mom borrowed my car and spilled some milk on the way home from the grocery store. We have tried everything, soap, clorox, and air freshners but nothing seems to work. Any1 have any type of suggestions? I'm willing to pay anything to get it removed, the smell gets worse by the day. Help!
  2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    Open the windows and keep them open for about 2 years. :D

Keep washing the stain as it ill eventually dilute the milk. Also try a non bleaching detergent to kill the bacteria. Smells are caused by bacteria. kill them and thats it pretty much sorted.
  3. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2005
  4. nospleen macrumors 68000

Dec 8, 2002
    My 3 year old dumped a half a gallon of miilk in our brand new Mazda CX-7. :eek: I cleaned it and had the same issue. I finally took it to a 'Wash Tub' facility and they used their shampoo machine and it fixed it right up.

Best of luck!
  5. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Try a dedicated car detailing forums... you'd be amazed at the number of specialized products and techniques they'll be able to recommend. My friend's an active member at ... i'd try there.
  6. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    Trade the car in, it's the only way to get rid of the smell.
  7. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Too bad you didn't ask while the milk spill was still wet and 'fresh' I've found that baking soda dumped all over a liquid spill really does pull the odors up and outta carpeting.

As for what to do now? I'd say just suck it up and pay for your car to be detailed. It might not even be too expensive.
  8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    rent one of the carpet cleaning machines at starmarket etc. and wash the hell out of it. alternatively use an industrial vacuum that can suck up liquids and wash it 20 times. many companies or the AA rental centers have them around. if you use lots of liquid and detergent it will go away.
  9. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    Milk stains anywhere suck, in a closed up car its the worst, wait till summer hits.:eek:
  10. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    I just spoke with my detailing friend. He suggested purchasing a product named "Automotive International Odor Terminator." He said that's the best product on the market for that kind of spill.

He also mentioned that the prep work and the actual application can be difficult if you're not familiar with detailing and don't have the appropriate tools. Basically if you want it done right hire a local detailer to do it for you.

Hope that helps.
  11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

Dec 19, 2004
    If the seats can easily be removed I would pull them out so that you can remove the carpet and padding underneath. Then you could wash both thoroughly and allow them to air dry.

While a shampooer may work. Depending on where the milk penetrated you may not be able to get to the little crevices around and underneath your seats. Especially in newer cars since manufacturers love to jam everything so close together and make any maintenance or repair work aggravating.
  12. ziwi macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Right back where I started...
    Seconded! - Especially if you are "willing to pay anything" ;)

Had someone vomit in a car of mine one time - had to get rid of it....
  13. Woob macrumors newbie

Mar 6, 2007
    What you need to do is get down to the source of the odor. What type of Milk and what is the length of exposure to the vehicle?

You'll need to first clean the area and the surrounding contaminated area to get the Milk out, use a thorough interior/carpet cleaner. Air Fresheners do nothing but cover the problem up. Enzymes & Bacteria cleaners are needed. Try mixing concentrated OxyClean and soaking the main area. Kids N Pets (Product) might be worthwhile to try also.

Professionals will have the right Carpet Extractor & Chemicals. Hopefully the odor hasn't seemed everywhere in the interior.
  14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    lol i know i have had vomit in a car and the smell never did go away. very gross and i couldnt seem to do anything about it lol
  15. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Aug 15, 2006
    The Rainbow Nation RSA
    That must've been quite a cultural experience. WHat type of car was it? ANd why. Honestly who does that!?
  16. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Aug 4, 2005
    WOW! Thanks everyone for all the replies. My car is only about a year old, so getting a new car is out of the question.. I called this car wash place and they said "They'll guarantee" the smell will be out with their steam carpeting thingy whatever. Its gonna cost me $69, but o well, there goes the orange shuffle I wanted. Again thanks everyone for the advice :)
  17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Remove the seats, lift up the carpet and replace the liner underneath.

Spills/smells in cars tend soaks through the carpet and get into the padding underneath.

One of the reasons, the smell will always come back anytime the carpet gets wet again -- or it gets humid. Even after a professional cleaning.
  18. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2003
    RI -> CA -> ME
    Just hose it out.*

* Only applies to Jeep Wrangler :p

Actually the pro cleaning will probably take care of it, good luck!