suggestions on a cheap, iSyncable phone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jfruh, Mar 14, 2004.

1. jfruh macrumors member

Hello all-

I've been thinking more and more of joining the 21st century and getting a mobile phone. My first tech-happy urge was to shell out for a top-of-the-line smartphone, but after a lot of thought I realize that my 4-year-old Handspring really fulfills all my PDA needs -- maintaining my address book, calender, a short to-do list, and playing a few very simple wasting-time-on-the-subway games (solitaire, yatzee, etc.). In fact, the only thing about it that really bugs me is the rather clunky integration between Palm OS and iSync/iCal/Address Book.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a relatively simple mobile phone that integrates well with iSync, iCal, and Address Book, and can play a few simple games. Either USB or Bluetooth synchronization is fine. I'm looking to spend less than $100 but willing to sign up for a year's contract or whatever to get a price that low. I should add that I live in the US and so would need a phone that would work here (I know that we in North America don't always have access to the latest and greatest cell phones). Any advice from thrifty gadgeteers?

jf

2. joshuajestelle macrumors regular

I highly recommend the Sony Ericsson T610.

Currently you can get it for $ - 75.00 on Amazon. That's right, after rebates they've paid you $75.

Plus, you can get $50 off a Jabra Bluetooth Headset (regular $80).

I actually just ordered this phone. It has all the nifty features you could ever want. Several of my friends have it and and quite happy with it.

The only serious downside to this phone that I've heard is that its RF reception isn't the best. But as long as you have a strong enough signal in your area it shouldn't be a problem.

Josh

3. machem macrumors member

I second the 610 suggestion. I just got mine, have to wait for the net -75.00. HURRY if you do this, because the T-Mobile rebate dies 3/30 and the Amazon rebate dies the 16th of March (though this may move back again). I'm coming off NexTel; my wife is always complaining about the reception. Turns out T-Mobile's reception is approx. zero *in* my house, but otherwise I'm happy.

The phone, oh, yeah.... I hate tiny phones, and this nearly qualifies as tiny, but it's so damn cool I don't care. Bluetooth synching takes a while, but it's wire-free, so it doesn't keep you from doing anything. Sits on my face totally differently than my i80s, and I have yet to see where the speaking microphone is (no obvious holes). Have to get use to that --- feels funny "on the ear" still. Easy-to-use (once you get used to it) and simple controls (small buttons, though. watch out if you have big fingers/hands and/or have the dexterity of a drunken orc). Camera? Kind of cool, but as someone pointed out at AI, could prevent you from taking your phone certain places (I'm going to 1 Infinite Loop this week; I'll let you know if it makes it in there). I could do w/o the camera, personally.

Thumbs up on this one.

4. stuckwithme247 macrumors regular

I have the T610 and it's an awesome phone. I don't really care too much for camera phones, but this one is already very small. It syncs great with iSync and I love transferring ringtones/backgrounds/games via Bluetooth.

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

yeh, sony erricson phones are really really good. they sync really well. i cant really say any more! just get a sony erricson basically!

6. jfruh thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone -- from this and other forums I've posted to it sounds like the 610 is the phone to beat! One quick follow-up question: One poster mentioned useing bluetooth to get ringtones and games. Do you mean that you can get these things from other phones, or from the Mac? One of the phone company's page on this phone mentioned that it came with software, but I assumed that meant "Windows only" as it so often does. Can you upload programs to the phone from the Mac via Bluetooth?

jf

7. jfruh thread starter macrumors member

Hey all -- I've done some research and found a lot of complaints stating that the 610 does NOT sync with all-day events in iCal. Almost everything in my calender is an all-day event, so this wouldn't help me at all! Thanks for the suggestions but I'm going to keep on looking. (And yes, I knew about Apple's list of compatible phones when I posted this question ... but I wanted to hear the experiences of users.)

jf

8. joshuajestelle macrumors regular

So I did just find this script that is suppose to help fix this all-day event problem:
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20942&vid=116671

It doesn't seem like the script is perfect but it shows that one could get this script probably up to snuff and have it work for you.

Josh