Suggestions on a good LCD HDTV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CNU182, Jan 4, 2007.

1. CNU182 macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2003
    I want to hook my macbook up to this as well. Any suggestions or personal experiences with a particular model/hookup.
    Budget is around $1500 and want something greater than 32".

thanks in advance.
  2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    I bought this recently:

I have hooked up my MB using a miniDVI cable from Apple to a DVI > HDMI cable. Turned on the MB set the TV channel/input to HDMI and boom. A giant ass monitor. :D Oh and I bought a standard audio jack to run from headphones port to the Audio input next to the HDMI connector on the TV.

There are a million different connection options on the back of the TV. Including a memory card slot for around 6 different types of cards and a digital viewing card slot thingy (not too sure what its for though). I am very pleased with it. Works and looks great.

At the moment I use the MB to stream movies and music from my G5 to the TV. I NEED iTV quick. :D
  3. crees! macrumors 68000

Jun 14, 2003
    I just bought the Sharp LC37D42U for $1,500. It's fully equipped and rocks.
  4. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    I've got a Samsung LNS-4051D hooked up to my family room iMac via miniDVI to VGA adapter and love it.

Things to look for (IMHO) at least 2 HDMI ports + as many other analog/digital inputs as possible, full resolution PC support, ...

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    I purchased the Samsung LCD mentioned in the post above me and I love it as well. The picture quality is really amazing and easy to calibrate. When I saw it in the store I thought it looked terrible next to the Sharp, but after some calibration the picture turned out a tad better than the Sharp IMO. (The Sharp mentioned a few posts up) I was unable to calibrate the Sharp how I liked it but I also didn't have much time. I went in wanting the Sahrp and walked out with the Samsung.

It has all the connections you need for a macbook as well.
  6. barr08 macrumors 65816

Aug 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I'm buying this:

It is about 600 less than your max price, and while it may not be the highest quality or best brand, I have heard many good things. 2 HDMI ports is an attractive plus, and every review I read, even CNET's, has been positive. You can get them online or at Costco or Sam's club.

If you want something a little nicer, might I reccomend LG. My dad has a 32" LG, and it is very nice. Sony's are also nice, but a 37"+ might be a little out of your price range.

Something I did before deciding on the Vizio was go to every Best buy in the area looking for open box deals. You can often find great prices on nice televisions, and usually they come with the same manufacturers warranty.