Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Hi guys. I'm looking at buying a Dual 2GHz G5, pretty nicely loaded. However, we just bought a new house and furnished it with a lot of stuff, etc., plus this awesome TV. Therefore, my parents aren't too crazy about forking over anymore over the next 6 months to pay for a computer.

I know, I know, I should get a job. But I'm involved with so much student govt. stuff and other extracurriculars, not to mention classes and research (which is unpaid, as it is taken in the form of a class), that it's next to impossible to also throw a job into the mix.

SO, my question is, do you guys know of any 12-month, 0% APR financing options. I think this would work out because I'll hopefully have a job next summer (doing research on campus) and I'll be able to pay it off myself, or go 50-50 with my folks or something.

Thanks for your help.

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
a credit card? apple's apple loan can realy suck. i had one to buy my i-book, but that is when they offered 6-months same as cash. The APR was something crazy like 26 % so I made sure to pay the thing off in six months. But i don't think they are offering the 6-months thing right now.

g/l

grrr223

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
Philadelphia
Credit Cards

There are many credit cards these days that offer 0% interest on any balance transfers you make from a credit card you currently have. Most are for 6 months usually, but I just got one from Chase with 12 months at 0%. Unfortunately, you'll probalby never find a credit card with 0% interest on purchases.

So, I don't know for what you'd be eligible not having a job and all, and this may seem a bit complicated, but it works.

1) Get a credit card, any one will do, assuming it has a high enough limit on it.

2) Get another credit card that has 0% interest on balance transfers for a year and transfer the balance to this second card. You can then get rid of the first card if you want.

This is kinda what I did, but I already had one credit card, so by getting the second one, I am now paying 0% interest for the next year, which when you think about it is HUGE.

Good luck.

agdickinson

macrumors regular
0% Apple Finance

Hi

Not sure where you are, but in the UK Apple offer 10 Months 0% Finance, which is quite a good offer.

Also if you have ADC discount they take off the discount and still give you the Finance which is a good deal.

If your over the pond (USA) sorry I'm not sure if Apple offers anything like that, worth checking on the 1-800 anyway.

Andrew

Fahd

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
The APR actually depends on your credit rating. It could be anywhere from 9.99% to 26.66%.

You could try buying it on bestbuy.com, they have 24 months same as cash financing on certain products. Their financing is offered through household bank. And from my experience, if you got 26.66% APR via MBNA/Apple, then its unlikely HouseHold/BestBuy would even approve you for financing in the first place. You might have better luck than me though!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12124&type=page

grrr223

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
Philadelphia
Wow! Thank you!!! I think I might be buying my computer from Best Buy 24 months with 0% financing is absolutely amazing. Does anyone know anything about Best Buy's warranties or service plans? or should I just get an apple care warranty?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.