SUGGESTIONS ON HTML EDITORS??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rhobes, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hello-
    I'm running Panther on an iMac. I have been learning to build web pages, specifically through pagetutor.com. The author uses PC based soft/hardware and all his recommendations for "TEXT-BASED" HTML Editors are only for Windows. He never mentions Mac's but the tutorials are great. He uses NoteTab exclusively. I would like to know what is comparable & available for Mac's. He firmly recommends the simple(usually free for PC's) "Text-based Editors" & to stay away from the big program-know nothing-make your own page editors.

Any suggestions?? :D

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Use TextWrangler, for text-only... and check out Taco HTML Edit for an editor...

Both have a price difficult to beat: They are free...

By the way: If you'd done a search there are a lot of threads answering this already...

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/

4. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

I did do a search on Google, didn't find much, should have done it here. But, it is nice to hear a rec. from people who are in the "know". You can bet I would go with the worst thing out there, not knowing it.
    Rhobes

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Aaah, didn't mean Google, ment a search of these forums... ;)

Try the Search pull-down menu, or the advanced search page...

And, by the way, you're quite safe with TextWrangler/SubEthaEdit and Taco HTML Edit, all three are very nice, free programs... No april fools joke here... :)

6. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

There is also a program called NVU and you can get a copy at http://www.nvu.com. I've been (barely) using it for a while. Not doing anything major. I've not used the Taco editor, but I want to try it out. NVU is also free.

7. ac2102 macrumors member

ac2102

TACO HTML Edit

No competition here i am afraid. It is still the only HTML editor out there to show the project tree as you are editing files.

2 drawbacks that i have found with it:

a) Doesn't support CSS syntax colouring yet (but does support PHP syntax colouring).

b) If you want to flick to another file in the project view (to check the name of a link, for example) and then flick back to the file you were originally editing, it doesn't scroll back to the point you were last editing at, but to the start of the file. A little annoying when working with large files.

However, it does have some really powerful features for HTML editing, including image maps and quick list/table inserts. Download TACO HTML and Text Wrangler then decide for yourself. They are both free.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You get much better signal-to-noise if you search VersionTracker.

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

10. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

11. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

I switch between to text editors, depending if I´m working in Terminal or not. :)
    nano or uEdit

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Isn't BBEdit Lite discontinued...?

TextWrangler has more features and is now freeware... check it out...

13. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

This one is really awesome, I'm surprised it isn't more popular:
    skEdit

14. cgc macrumors 6502a

I use Taco Editor and it is excellent for hand coding. N|Vu is also very good and is more of a WYSIWYG editor, though I feel like I don't have the ultimate control of Taco Editor.

15. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, I've been using OmniWeb very happily in this area for a while, but another app I was impressed with is HyperEdit. If OmniWeb wasn't fulfilling my HTML editing needs, I would most likely be using HyperEdit.

16. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Thanks for all the replies, I also did a search on the Forum & of course found much on the subject, too much, how to pick? I think I will try Textwrangler and Taco HTML Editors for starters, seems to be in line with what I'm looking for, I think-Text based. :D