Suicidal or Death Wish?

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Nov 22, 2003.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    I have this friend who always seems to love a thrill. He is most definitely a daredevil. Loves being close to the edge. He's a creative type too by the way.
    He's a great guy and would give the shirt off his back to you if you really needed it.
    But he does wrestle with some demons. Growing up was a little tough for him.
    Now I know he is not suicidal. I know that much but I do believe the guy has a death wish.
    My question is, what makes a person have a death wish in the first place? Can anyone give me a psychological discourse?
    Sometimes I worry for him.
  2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    How do you see the term "Death wish"? An ambition to explore dangerous, yet preferentially exciting grounds with the realization that you may never return? A radical drive to interact with people or places through an unnecessarily criminal nature? Or something else? Though it sounds like preferential ambition may be the reason. Ambition to explore unclaimed extremes for personal entertainment.

I am having trouble determining why the ambition exists just from "Growing up was a little tough for him" and "he does wrestle with some demons". My top guess is that at a younger age, this friend either felt locked up and overprotected, as if he felt unallowed to explore.

I don't think I can give a full psychological discourse, but I just think that he has an ambition to do things that once felt either not confident or unable to do before.
  3. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2003
    I don't remember specific terms, but according to my General Psych course, all humans have self-destructive tendencies. It is these tendencies that cause us to smoke, drink, drive fast, bungey-jump, etc. Been a while since I had the course, so I forget a lot of the specifics...If you are really interested, you could always pick up an old pysch book off the web.....
  4. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    Nothing makes you feel more alive than being an inch away from death. DH mountain Bike crashes, landing and taking off in a light aircraft for the first time, Stacking on a water ski @ 35mph, etc... Any thing that scares the pants off you, or has the real possiblity of causing serious harm is great fun.
  5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Personally, I'm terrified of death. I think most people are. But, I'm somewhat of a daredevil. I'm a serious mountain biker, I drive damn fast, and do other life threatening stuff. Why? I don't know, its just fun. If I was to analyze it though, I'd say it puts one in control of death. Death is such a vague, ambigious thing. No one knows what it is, or when it is coming for them. By risking one's life, you are in control of it. You know it could happen. It no longer becomes some random, abstract thing that could happen at any time without you knowing. YOU are in control of your death. Just my perspective.