Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjayviper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
I love the UI provide by Tag&Rename. It's very intuitive. Browsing my collectiong using a tree structure on the left and selecting a folder would automatically refresh the track listing. Right-click to edit tags. Sadly, it's windows only.

I've played around with various taggers like Kid3, tagger, tagr, picard, yate and etc and I find them cumbersome to use. I've also used the wine version of mp3tag and it's just not as good as the windows equivalent. I cannot edit some of the more important settings like renaming files using tags.

Perhaps you have suggestions I haven't used? thanks a lot :)

Last edited:

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
Last edited:

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
I know I'm late to this thread but I found a decent replacement for T&R. It's called Meta. It's on the Mac App store or the developers website: https://www.nightbirdsevolve.com/meta/

I'm a long time T&R user and just recently got an iMac. T&R was the last app I was looking and I tried a few including Kid3 but, I didn't really like anything. I chose to continue using my Windows laptop and T&R for my tagging purposes. Found Meta doing a Google search, tried it out and really enjoyed it. It's not as good as T&R but, it's a suitable replacement and the best I've found so far for MacOS, IMO.

Reactions: msephton

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I love the UI provide by Tag&Rename. It's very intuitive. Browsing my collectiong using a tree structure on the left and selecting a folder would automatically refresh the track listing. Right-click to edit tags. Sadly, it's windows only.

I've played around with various taggers like Kid3, tagger, tagr, picard, yate and etc and I find them cumbersome to use. I've also used the wine version of mp3tag and it's just not as good as the windows equivalent. I cannot edit some of the more important settings like renaming files using tags.

Perhaps you have suggestions I haven't used? thanks a lot :)

This program is one of the only reasons I installed VM Ware and Windows. This is bar none one of the best tagging software out there. I feel the pain.

I have been using this program for a while now and really like it. https://www.amvidia.com/tag-editor

In fact you might be able to get a code from the code sharing section which is where I got my copy. It is actually pretty good.

Reactions: msephton

whichweather

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Although a bit complicated to understand, the Kid3 editor works quite well. However, I haven't figured out how to 'correct' the actual file name yet - only the tags themselves. Also, it can take some time finding the right album match but if you are diligent, it can give you pretty good results.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
I've never been able to find anything on Mac OS that could match what I got from Tag&Rename, but eventually I settled on Tagr. It's not as broad in functions, but very useful and intuitive and stable.

Am surprised that Tag&Rename never released a MacOS version. It's just such a great program and I don't know anyone who has used it heavily and didn't flat out LOVE it.

Reactions: EightBitWhit

EightBitWhit

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2018
I second @Anijake's recommendation for Metadatics.

I tried every single app mentioned in this thread, and only Metadatics got me close enough to Tag&Rename to call it a winner. It's every bit as good for all the basic tag manipulation tasks (especially copy/pasting of tags between files) and the rename functions that it does support are good enough for me to not have to run T&R in a virtual machine - which is what I was really after.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread, as it gave me a good understanding of what the current landscape for this software is like for the Mac. IMHO, Metadatics gets the vote as the best T&R 'replacement' currently available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.