suitcase vs fontbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ndmccormack, Mar 24, 2005.

1. ndmccormack macrumors member

hi,
    I've been using suitcase for many years now and think its pretty robust and does the job, however with teh advent of 10.3 apple introduced fontbook.
    I tried it when I installed 10.3, and accidentally deleted all my fonts and vowed never to use it EVER again!

However... with each incremental update there seems to be improvement to fontbook stability and functionality, can anyone tell me what its like now? i am keen to be completely apple product dependant for basic os tasks e.g. networking, printing, fonts etc... (and recently ditched DAVE too)

cheers
    Niall

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Fontbook is OK if your collection is moderately-sized, and you're not making too many changes to your sets and constantly activating & reactivating fonts (no auto activation either). We run it on our printer RIP as Quark doesn't send font postscript info to a shared RIP. :rolleyes:

Fontbook works by moving fonts in and out of various folders -- behaviour which I inherently distrust.

If you're serious about type, Suitcase X1 is worth every penny.