Summer! & don't fall for the old egg balancing trick!

Discussion in 'Community' started by njmac, Jun 21, 2005.

1. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Have a great summer everyone. And to all those that will see on the news today of school kids balancing eggs on their desks, read this . There's some good stuff over at badastronomy.com

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Wow, I never heard of this egg thing. This is good news for German news perhaps ;)

3. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

and the German school system ;)

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    As the link mentioned they talked about this on the West Wing. The characters did a google search on it and everything they found said it was bunk. There was a great line something along the lines of "How far from the paths of righteousness have you strayed if no one on the internet wants a piece of the action"

Yes you can balance an egg on its end on the equinox, but you can do it any other time as well. People are just more persistent on the equinox.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I believe the joke web site that one person (maybe it was Toby?) mentioned to C. J. Cregg was "thingsthatarewrong.com".

EDIT: It was Will Bailey who mentioned "thingsthatarewrong.com".

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    yes. The Quote I was looking for was

"And you've got to ask yourself, if no one on the internet wants a piece of this, just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

So should there be fewer falling accidents on the equinox! Wonder it that is true, hurry someone start a thesis.

Happy, hot sweaty, find some shade summer everyone in the northern hemisphere, and hope you have some good sking this winter for those in the southern hemi.

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

we made the obvious "make something to protect a raw egg when thrown from the 4th floor, but you're only allowed to use one A3 piece of very sturdy paper and limited amount of glue" experiment
    needless to say not every one made it ;)(but most of them)

9. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Mine was only 10 feet in a classroom on a ladder. The design was sound. Too bad my aim wasn't. Hey it’s freaking hard when you have to guesstimate the drop zone by looking up at the ceiling. (Ladder didn't go all the way up so I’m holding the egg above my head (Not over!) aiming for this 4” drop zone that is out away from the ladder. Hey no one said I had to be freaking Michael Jordan in science class!

10. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

My grandpa used to do that every summer. He would balance an egg on the table. Mystified me as a child.

11. friarbayliff macrumors regular

I vaguely recall doing something like that back in elementary school - though I think it always turned out to be a huge mess because all of the little kids would either drop the eggs on the floor or simply crush them in their hands to see what happens.

12. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I also have never heard of this "phenomenon". But thankfully, I can still go try it tonight!

13. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

We were told in grade school that you could do it on the equinoxes, not a solstice. But it's just as wrong either way.