Summer Jobs?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ghall, Mar 29, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

So, my mom's making me get a (real) summer job, and I don't know what I should do. Any job suggestions for a 17 year old geek?

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

camp counselor so much fun. Where else can you run around all day and go swimming and get paid plus have the nights and weekends free. If you want to be more geeky then i'm sure you can find computer camps

5. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Totally agree with puckhead193, camp counselor is the way to go. When else do you get paid to hang out in the woods, swim, eat, and hit on other counselors? Besides, then you can get all of the inside jokes in 'Wet Hot American Summer.' (one of the greatest movies ever)

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Know any web design/development languages? Could be a good use of your time. Beyond that, I spent a few years in high school and early college being a lifeguard. Can't really beat that for a summer job.

Edit: I'd like to mention I was also a camp counselor, and if I could go back and do that again, you better believe I would. Make sure the camp doesn't suck, though. ;)

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Lot attendant at a car dealership. But, then again you're a geek and I'm a car freak. :p I just applied to my local Chevy/Lotus dealership to be a lot attendant. So I will be able to drive Lotus's and 'Vettes around the lot, although they will be rare. Most of the time it will be the mainstream cars and trucks. Might get a few Kodiaks too. That will be fun to drive around at the dealerships tight lot.

BTW, this is the Kodiak if you didn't know.

[​IMG]

8. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I do, actually, like 5 minutes away. But they won't hire anyone under 18 :(
    Plus, I wouldn't be able to chat with you guys anymore, and that would be horrible. :D

Anyway, I wan't to do something that I enjoy, so I'm looking to do something around computers or video games. I don't care what it is, even if it's sweeping the floor at GameStop!

9. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Do you enjoy golfing? I work at the local golf course in the summer, and you can't beat the free golf :D plus it is laid back.

10. D34th macrumors regular

I agree with the camp counselor idea. Also, a lifeguard is a great idea. I would do that because once you go to college, and if you are still certified, you can lifeguard at the college pool and make some cash during the school year (believe me, no matter how much you save, in college, you always need more money)...

11. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Ain't that the truth!

12. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

The only problem with the lifeguard idea is, I'm the one who's gonna end up needing to be saved, I can't swim. So, any job involving swimming is probably out of the question.

13. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

That does make lifeguarding difficult :) Does the job need to be full time? Part time?

If it doesn't need to be full time, you might consider being a valet :) Get to drive all sorts of nice cars, and it's pretty easy work.

14. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

No, I think it can be part time.

And I also should have mentioned that I am not a licensed driver. :D

15. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I would suggest getting a job and a fancy resturante and trying to work friday and saturday nights. You will make bank off of tips plus being a bus boy isnt hard at all. It is probably one of your best bets. I made $50-100 on friday and saturday nights just off tips.

16. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Can't swim, no driver's license - you're makin' this hard on me! ;) :D

17. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

How much are you willing to work?

Last summer I worked at a place that makes countertops. It was $10/hr, 10hrs/day, 5day/week. It was really tough on me, but it has supplied my binge spending for the rest of the year.

This summer I might take it a bit easier at a coffee shop and load up on tips part time.

18. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Is it just for the summer? or can you work once the fall rolls around?

Supermarkets. A lot of people get there start there. They can be fun at times. Pay is meh, but it's a job and it's cash.

19. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Have you ever had a real job before?

I would recommend calling up your city's parks and recreation department and see if they have any summer openings, they usually will.

If you're going to apply at a brick and mortar store I'd recommend you do it as soon as possible because come may/june they'll just toss out your resume because they know they'll have to start searching for your replacement as soon as you start.

20. ToddW macrumors 6502a

I have had plenty of jobs through highschool and college for that matter.

In High School:

-Photographer and grunt boy for local paper (got to get to a lot of stuff for free, work accidents, and also drive a big van around)
    -McDonalds (Sucked, quit in four weeks)
    -Grocery Store (kind of fun, but a lot of hardwork, and played hell on my social life)
    -Chevy/Dodge dealership (this was pretty cool, learned a lot about cars, got to drive all over the place, also got to drive cool stuff)

I also did a lot of odd jobs on farms and ranches.

Your best bet is to just get a job that is sort of labor intensive, laidback, and fun to do. This will help you grow as a person and help youg et ajob in college if you need one. Hard work shows a lot even today. I was interviewing a guy for a coop intern position with my company and the guy didn't really know anything. He did nothing but sshool, had no jobs during highschool, not even during summer. To me it was like he was to good to do hard work to me. So, I passed on him.

21. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

yes; greatest summer movie ever!!
    The swim thing isn't that important, yes you might have to go into the water but shallow water, prob supporting the kids while they learn to float on the backs etc or controlling the kids so they listen. At my camp the lifeguards take over for the 40 mins or so their at the pool. You'll be around with kids your own age which is nice cause you meet new people and hang out afterwords. If you get a friend to do it with you it isn't bad at all.
    Where do you live, maybe someone can suggest a camp or 2 for you to look at.

22. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Hey all, I'm filling out a job application for Border's as I write this.

Any other ideas, in case Border's doesn't work out?

23. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

24. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Huh?

25. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

He's talking about the movie, Wet Hot American Summer (which truly is hilarious, mind you). Apparently it's on WGN right now.

/me searches for the remote...