summer movies/ music: what were good?

Discussion in 'Community' started by acidrock, Sep 5, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

due to my schdule this summer I missed all the movies except Michael Moore's movie. What were some of the good ones? Did anyone see Farwel's movie Home at the end of the world? Were there any big concerts in your cities that were good? What did you guys do for fun?

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I actually tend not to go to the movies very often...the only movies I have seen this summer have been the M Moore movie you mentioned and "HERO" which was fantastic...only been in the theaters a couple weeks, although it is from 2002...bloody beautiful. I recommend that.

None of the music I listen to often plays live in the US, so no recommendations/experiences to share...

As for fun, I did a fair bit or regional traveling up to Vancouver BC (several times). I love that city...I pass through Oly each time, and gaze at old exit 104...(I graduated from Evergreen in '97)...

Pretty boring/unhelpful I know...

3. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I saw "Collateral" the other day. Was very good. Though depending on who you are the ending may leave you wanting.
    Tom Cruise is one really BAD dude. Very convincing sociopath. Michael Mann is in top form here and Jamie Fox does a fine job as the cabbie.

Also saw the documentary "Touching the Void". Most excellent for the adventure buff.

4. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

dude not sure if you picked up on this but I go to Evergreen. Are you in Seattle? What are youu doing now that you graduated, I do next year, am coming back in August after my first real vacation in four years

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

haha...yeah, I figured...that is why I mentioned something...I actually live in Portland (Oregon, for those not familiar)...after Evergreen I actually moved to Austin, TX and got into video editing/production work and web design...moved up to Portland beginning of 2003, and the dot-bomb thing killed me...so I do part-time freelance web/video stuff, mainly to bolster my resume and keep it current...I also am a grad-student at PSU, as I couldn't find meaningful employment...kinda embarrassing...economy in Portland is in the toilet, sadly...still, love this part of the country...

What are you graduating with? Where did you live on-campus? Alphabet city?

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Hero is very good. I rented it from China before it came out in the Stats :p.

Don't see 'Open Water'. Horrible film. All it does is make you have to pee.

scem0

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I had hoped to go see the Cure with their "Curiousa" festival tour but the closest to me was Seattle (not that far) and the show was scheduled for the Gorge Ampitheater about 90 minutes east of Seattle...nice place if you can ignore the nazi security goons (last time I was there they were not going to let a diabetic guy in with his insulin kit!)...but then the show was postponed and moved to Seattle/Everett minus all the other bands...unfortunately that date conflicted with some important work business....really bugs me as the Cure ended doing a great 3 hour show (almost twice as long as the other dates of the tour)...better luck next time I guess....oh yeah!

8. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

\
    hey you can email me, I think that would be better, unless you want to IM

edit: took out email

9. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

hey is BC still a beautiful place, I was up there a long time ago and was tryin tog o back

10. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I saw the Exorcist Beginnings. It was decent. My favorite was Hero. Quick question: Does anybody know the song that was playing in Hero when Jet Le was fighting the guy with the spear towards the beginning of the movie?

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I agree! It was an excellent film...Much better than I expected.

12. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

I wonder if it was the theme song?

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

napoleon dynamite was good. collateral was good. i saw garden state today but i was to tired from partying night before, keep falling asleep. i need to watch it again. bourne supremacy is good if you liked the first one. paparazzi looks somewhat good, i have to go read some reviews. only movie i didnt see that i wanted was donnie darko directors cut, wasn't playing near me. i doubt it will be playing in nyc during thanksgiving, hopefully it will be on dvd then.

iJon

14. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I don't go to the movies at all, but I do see my fair share of them. I didn't find any amazing movies that I would recommend, but I can tell you I was disappointed by Michael Moore's movie. I was kina looking forward to it (me being a Republican and all.... ;) ) but it didn't seem to me like it was anything like Bowling for Columbine, which I though was much better.

As for music, Korn, Goo Goo Dolls, and Metallica for rockish stuff. I've also gotten into a lot of the classics, Beethoven, Bach, Chopin, Mozart, etc. Two extremes hehe. And all kinda lame I know, but whatever...... I'm into a lot of talk radio too, 96.9 FM if your in Boston, Howie Carr, Laura Ingraham, Jay Severen, and stuff.....

15. JRam macrumors member

JRam

Its summer so time to see movies before school interferes with everything... heres my rundown:
    -Borne Supremacy: meh... I really enjoyed the first one and didnt find this sequel to be as good. It didnt suck.. but Id be just as happy with it as a rental.
    -Hero: its a giant sword fighting scene.. but with enough plot and character development to not be a giant sword fighting scene. I really liked this movie, if I could see only one, this would be it. And it is positively gorgeous.
    -Aliens vs Predator: Disappointing. Guess I could be labeled as a sucker for thinking it to be anything else lol. And the big revelation... lame! Its a fun movie though, I guess.
    -Spiderman 2: You may have seen this, it was out before michael moores flick. Kicked ass. Lot of fun, forget the other action flicks and see this one if you can.
    -iRobot: More goodness. Good effects and decent acting. A nice story. Saw it twice and enjoyed it both times.
    -Touching the Void: saw this one a long time ago in a small theatre, didnt know it was still playing in some places. My god the stuff some people go through. A very grueling movie, both in terms of the story and for the people watching it. As said earlier, if your an adventure buff, have at it.

As far as music goes, seems as though the new popular stuff seems to be bands like Maroon 5 and John Mayer. Not half bad, not normally what I listen to but its nice for a change of pace, or rather beat. If your looking for some mellow sorta loungy, give it a listen.

Go see Hero. Thats my recommendation. Although this is coming from someone who cant wait to go to see Resident Evil II so take everything with a very good size grain of salt.

16. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

hey why is it you guys are so not into movies? is it because we are all hangin out here at macrumors? j/K! I'm wondering, for me it's I don't feel I should pay $8 bucks for a movie, some places it's more. Also the times movies are shown in Seattle didn't work with my work schedule, I would have to go to an 8/9PM movie and then wouldn't be able to into work again. I thought a lot of people go to movies usually?

I don't watch tv so all i have access to is news on google, and also NPR. I haven't heard of hero, what was that about?

About Michael Moore's movie, I thought it was very well put together, but as one reviewer said on NPR, it was nothing new, though it was at the time of his production. My favorite part was when he had the sceen with the senator, do you think we read all the legislation? Lol. But yea, with his movies recently, they seem to be more production, than this is what we should do, but i love his perspective and saw him speek at Evergreen. Funny man!

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I saw Hero around 1 to 2 years ago, and it was confusing. I think I was watching the dodgiest English translation in history. It seemed like a Tarantino film........ shows one scene, then another scene in the past to tell the sequence of events that leads to the first scene. That type of deal. Obviously they made the translation better if you guys were able to follow the story. I didn't know what was going on. I saw the same guy get stabbed by his girlfriend (that girl) in 2 or 3 different scenes. Seemed like a shrew. Oh, and there's that scene in the forest where everything looks red. ;) Ahhhh, I'll have to see this movie again. :eek:

And since I'm a poor student in Australia, I don't watch many movies at the cinema right now. I saw Day After Tomorrow, though, and a bootleg copy of the Shrek 2 DVD with all the extra DVD features and such. :D But I see a lot of movie rentals of films that were released 2 years ago. I saw Minority Report and Boiler Room yesterday for the first time. :)

18. garybUK Guest

garybUK

* iRobot was okay, it was a little like AI & Minority Report but not too bad.
    * The Village, wasn't what I expected but a good film.
    * Godsend, this was too slow and boring
    * Bourne Supremacy, excellent film, realistic scenes and good usage of Europe :)
    * Harry Potter & The Prizoner of Azkaban, Im a big fan of the books but that Mexican director killed Hogwarts in this version plus the American screen writier is evident in some of the clearly not-so-British words like 'hunch' was excellent on the iMax though.
    * Thunderbirds - perfect example of milking something just for money
    * Around the world in 80 days - they killed this classic story with that moron jackie chan.

Musc:

The Darkness, always excellent to see live as I have tickets for the MEN arena soon, Keane hopes & fears album was excellent, Maroon 5, Snow Patrol, Scissor Sisters, The Streets, Lost Prophets, Razor Light. In all a good summer for music, I especially liked how 50 Cent and Razmous got 'mudded' off the stage at the Reading festival, hahah what where they doing there anyway, its not Glastumberry these people want REAL acts!!!

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

None of those albums came out in the summer. They were out 3 months before summer started, or even further back than that. eg: Snow Patrol, Scissor Sisters. ;) I don't think a lot of good music came out in those 3 months of summer, although my mind may be drawing a blank.

Kings of Convenience....great album. Beastie Boys was very average and not much of a tribute to NYC.

The Streets' new album was great, but only if you listen to it from beginning to end. The Beastie Boys should have asked The Streets how to do a proper album concerning life in their home city. Not too many personal references concerning life in NYC at all. Just some shoutouts about how great NYC is (so what?).

The Bad Plus album came out. It is as good as the first album.

Polyphonic Spree album: Weird. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you liked the first album. Maybe Apple could use one of their new songs in another advert. Their white robe wearing, religious, gang-like appearance and aura depicts Apple users quite well. :) Plus it worked well before.

A few other albums came out, but they slip my mind at the moment.

20. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Garden State - Great
    Spiderman 2 - Very enjoyable
    Anchorman - Very funny at times

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

any Dodgeball or Arthur reviews? i might just buy them on dvd if its worth it.....whenever they come out of course......

22. logicat2001 macrumors regular

They did, in fact, rewrite the English translation. It's a beautiful movie and now it's a beautiful story you can understand.

23. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

I am planning to go to bummbershoot today, and was hoping to see the bad plus, but my friend is running late, not sure, the lines for this thing are long

-nathan

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They're playing in Bummbershoot, and you don't need any sort of advanced ticket? Anyway, hope you see them. I have a 50 minute video of them doing some interview thing and they played a bunch of songs as well. Quite impressive. :)

I had bought THe Bad Plus's new album, Give, and didn't give it a listen at all until 2 weeks later. I just wasn't too excited, and thought I'd be disappointed anyway, but Dirty Blonde is an awesome song, as is "And Here We Test Our Powers of Observation." :)

25. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Man, hero was terrible. I hated it, and by the way tarrentino had nothing to do with making it. He liked it, brought it here, and ambigously took credit for it. I really didn't think much of kill bill either.