Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuxnduke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2003
Germany
Just found the following article:

Nevertheless, I think the positive developments outweigh any negatives right now. Given the unique advantages in each market, an Apple resurgence need not be tied to a broad PC recovery. So add up the benefits from promising new chips, an OS X version of Quark, a rebounding online ad market, and, oh yes, a rocking music store, and Apple could outpace many other PC makers in the months ahead.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2003/tc20030521_2871_tc056.htm

BusinessWeek means, that this could be the summer
of the mac. The ppc 970 is mentioned here as well.

astray

macrumors member
May 9, 2003
uk
Summer of the Mac ??

I came across an extremely upbeat article on Buisness Week Online, which talks about the future of Apple. The author suggests that this may be the Summer of the Mac, what with the development of a new chip for Apple having been confirmed by IBM, the iTMS, iPod and the upcoming Quark. All this should hopefully lead to the reinvigoration of Apple. The author suggests that people have lost intrest in the Powermac line what with Intels chips outpacing the advanced PowerPc architecture.

Grab the article here: http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2003/tc20030521_2871_tc056.htm

What do you guys think? Will this be the "Summer of the Mac"!!!!

I sure as hell hope so,

astray

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
sounds really interesting.
i really hope it will be the summer of the macs. but i rather think it wil become the winter of the mac :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Sounds good - lets see it happen :D

One thing in the article which doesn't go into depth, but really has me curious -

'Finally, the creative markets in advertising and media should begin to rebound in the summer, which will allow media and advertising companies to proceed with long-postponed hardware upgrades.'

Anyone know why this would be the case?

D

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by tuxnduke
Well, I think I was first according to the posting date,
wasn't I? :D

heh-heh yep... ;) :p :p

Interesting article.... I love this quote though...

The emergence of Big Blue as an innovative force in the Mac universe

Wicked!!

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson

D

Perhaps because the long-awaited 970 is going to make an appearence, shrinking rendering times, and increasing productivity ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by britboy
Perhaps because the long-awaited 970 is going to make an appearence, shrinking rendering times, and increasing productivity ;)

I don't think a new machine would provide the umph to get the industry up and going. Plenty of companies use multiple platforms, so lowering rendering time is only a small part of the process of creating something (if we're talking DV/3D animation). If won't have that much effect on web based stuff - my flash site now compiles in 3 secs instead of 15.....

D

boskie

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2001
North Side Of Itchy Town
Sounds good - lets see it happen :D

One thing in the article which doesn't go into depth, but really has me curious -

'Finally, the creative markets in advertising and media should begin to rebound in the summer, which will allow media and advertising companies to proceed with long-postponed hardware upgrades.'

D

My sister works in advertising in NY and i'm sure she mentioned that since 9/11 spending in the media/advertising industry was not exactly put on hold, but more held back - maybe now they feel the market is mature enough to put more funding into cross media projects - particularly as DV (FCP/DVXpress) has become a more acceptable medium, and the 'threat' of terrorism has died down slightly.

I could be wrong, but it seems like a viable reason for that statement.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by boskie
My sister works in advertising in NY and i'm sure she mentioned that since 9/11 spending in the media/advertising industry was not exactly put on hold, but more held back - maybe now they feel the market is mature enough to put more funding into cross media projects - particularly as DV (FCP/DVXpress) has become a more acceptable medium, and the 'threat' of terrorism has died down slightly.

I could be wrong, but it seems like a viable reason for that statement.

I don't know about in other parts of the world, but in the U.S. the terror alert was just raised to 'high'.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by tazo
I don't know about in other parts of the world, but in the U.S. the terror alert was just raised to 'high'.

Yeah - the police are back to checking trucks at National Airport. And there is all that talk about something happening soon - and there were those hijackers caught in Jeddah.

But as for 9/11 - it truly has had an affect on a lot of things relating to marketing and tourism. Makes sense and it would be great to see a big push for new stuff since I do that sort of thing :D

D

boskie

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2001
North Side Of Itchy Town
ok, the threat is still here/been reinforced within the last day or so, but the general push of the industry seems to been improving somewhat - i actually work in post-production and although only a small post-house (4 offline and one Symphony online) and we are getting increasingly busy by reducing our rates to keep this busy. Maybe there is a general concensus across this and other media industries in consolidating the types of media used, as we are getting an influx of DVCAM work in.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Here's to the decade of the Mac! The 970 may revolutionize the whole market finally!

tazo

macrumors 68040
Yeah - the police are back to checking trucks at National Airport. And there is all that talk about something happening soon - and there were those hijackers caught in Jeddah.

But as for 9/11 - it truly has had an affect on a lot of things relating to marketing and tourism. Makes sense and it would be great to see a big push for new stuff since I do that sort of thing :D

D

I don't know about the local airport, SeaTac or SEA, but last time I was there a like 1.5 mo. ago they were still checking each car.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i hope that the terror threat level goes down, because that obviously means that there is less chance of an event happenin in the city, and my dad is a cop in the city. it really scares me sometimes.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Terrorism not the answer to everything

Why would advertising be held back after September the 11th? Since then people have been glued to their televisions, what with Anthrax, two wars, a mysterious sniper and SARS. Television, radio, newspapers and magazines are businesses that survive on advertising dollars and for the last one and a half years they would be making a killing. In short, fear sells.

Now, to get back to the original topic of this thread, the Business Week article was a good read and the author will hopefully be proven right. While all the Mac Doomsayers are repeatedly pointing out the MHz gap this guy did some research and reminded everyone that (a) the Apple Music Store is doing well so far, (b) Quark XPress is on the way and (c) 970-based Macs are on the way too. Nothing new in there but he does make a compelling argument why late-2003 might be The Summer Of Mac.

My only concern is that when it has everything going its way, Apple often becomes its own worse enemy. Look at the Cube as a good example of Apple shooting itself on the foot by creating a computer anyone would want and pricing it so that no-one can afford it. Hopefully Apple will not only exceed our expectations with its new computers (and devices) but also learn from its past mistakes regarding marketing and pricing.

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
<on topic> I think that this year marks the beginning of the rise of the Mac platform. MacOS X this year will finally be a fully mature OS and with new hardware and OS X having tons of developers... Apples attractive computer lineup... music store/iPod... the PowerPC 970... Panther... All Apple needs is advertising to show the people what MacOS X and the Mac is all about. </on topic>

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Hope for a summer of the Mac, a good time to buy a computer (for me) and a good time for Apple to overtake the PC market (Longhorn a long way off, XP getting stale as M$ waits for Longhorn, Apple coming out with new stuff every ~3 months)

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
people are comparing panther and loghorn. loghorn won't be out untill 2005 i think, and panther if not august, then then and of 2003. this would give time M$ to catch up and put in OS X features that they can't think of for themselves. by the time loghorn comes out, panther will be almost obsolete, so let them compare loghorn and panther because when loghorn comes, we'll have 10.5!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by icetraxxg5
<on topic> I think that this year marks the beginning of the rise of the Mac platform. MacOS X this year will finally be a fully mature OS and with new hardware and OS X having tons of developers... Apples attractive computer lineup... music store/iPod... the PowerPC 970... Panther... All Apple needs is advertising to show the people what MacOS X and the Mac is all about. </on topic>

I so much agree with you. Feeling very positive about this summer. Just think we will know the answer in a month. On the WWDC site is says that Apple will introduce the next platform and preview Panther! :cool: Gates will be sitting by and we will have updates in '03, '04, & '05 before his cheese is avialable if then!

JaKweeze

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2003
Tampa Florida
<off topic>
I do 3D annimation for an advertising firm out of Tampa, FL now. As of 9/11 things did close up for quite some time.

You do have a good point, people have been stuck to their TV's more than ever however it's been more to the new channels than ever.

Furthermore, our company specifically does 3D annimation for MegaTrons/JumboTrons and bilboards...

By more people watching TV and going out to Pro Stadiums less and reading normal magazines even less than they were two years ago (seems odd but numbers say it's true) the advertising, at least from our point of view and those down here that we're associated with, has slumped.

However things are turning around... we're highering 2 new people again because our demand and those of our competitors also is starting to pick up again because companies are starting to feel safe again and are becoming less centralized (sp?) and putting out more money into fellow businesses.

Don't know if that helps any... my thoughts were kind of jumbled...

~Jocko

</off topic>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.