Summer Party Music Playlist

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CompUser, May 27, 2006.

1. CompUser Guest

Hello everyone.

I need to make a playlist for an "end of school"/"beginning of summer party". I am of some top 40 songs + Jack Johnson + RHCP (not too much because all of their songs sound the same).

Thanks in advance for the input.
  2. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    How old are you and what kind of a party would this be?
  3. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    I saw in your profile your the same age as me so I thought maybe you'd have similar parties and similar music.

Anyway this is a small playlist I just recently used for a party. I'm assuming you would want hip hop for dancing.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    No party is complete without "Who Let The Dogs Out."

Um, other than that fantabulous suggestion, we'd have to know what goes on at this party. If it's a party where everyone gets wasted, dances, and has a good time, then more upbeat dancy music would be great. Everything from dance music, to Madonna, Prodigy (Fat of the Land = an ace album), etc etc...

If it's a party where everyone's getting wasted, but sitting around and talking, then even Ben Harper songs are gonna be ok. No joke. Music that show that you don't suck would be a good idea as well, and that means no (new) RHCP. :p Nothing too indie, though. If nobody has ever heard of your music, you'll appear like a jackass.

There's always a danger when making a playlist for a chilled out house party, or for a group of friends, because you don't want to seem unhip --- one who listens only to Top 20 music, but then you don't want to seem like an indie twat/music snob who's trying to show off how "indie" he is. ;) If you go the "indie" route, include some songs that everyone's gonna recognise. Hell, throw in some Rick James, bitch.
  5. CompUser thread starter Guest

I'll give you some more background.

I am 15, there are going to be about 25 girls and boys, around the age of 15. I sort of want to have all types of music, not just rap, and besides, no one really likes it that much around here, however some is okay. It's a pool party so music is not incredibly important, but it definitely adds some "flare" to the party.

And no party is complete with "total eclipse of the heart"
    ^ I might just have to throw that in to piss everyone off

And to killuminati, out of my 3885 songs (of all genres), I have none of those songs ;)
  6. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
  7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    ooo, what about "Don't stop me now" by Queen? It's such a summer with friends song.. "don't stop me now/ I'm having a good time; I'm having a ball"

Maybe some Beatles? Come together, Help!, Day Tripper?

Beck's Guero album has some awesome stuff. Girl, Black Tambourine.
  8. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    Haha, sorry my music wasn't helpful.

The party I used that playlist for was a friends basement party. It was really awesome because he bought a bunch of really powerful speakers with great bass so it was awesome.

That music is really good for just being really wasted and dancing.
  9. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    Well the thing is if your having a party with just your friends, you pretty much know the kind of music you and your friends listen to. I would just worry about that if it's gonna be an open party where your friends will bring friends, and their friends will bring friends etc.
  10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Well if it's a summer pool party, I guess Jack Johnson would be good, or Donavon Frankenreiter, or any of the JJ clones.

But Bob Marley would be better. ;) Get one of the "Best of Bob Marley" CDs at the store for cheap, and just let the thing play.
  11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    Jimmy Buffet is the first and last word when it comes to summer music
  12. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    killuminati, I almost burst out laughing because I knew Erik (CompUser) would have had none of those songs. :D

How 'bout some Death Cab, Motion City Soundtrack, Fall Out Boy, My Morning Jacket, The Stills, The Strokes, etc... Nice rock/mellow mix, even within those artist's own works.
  13. Leraste macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The Escape song perhaps?... :D
  14. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you

It's a pool party, not a sit in a corner pretending you come from a broken home and contemplate slitting your wrists session.
  15. kildraik macrumors 6502

May 7, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Dance music! You can never go wrong with a never-ending, constant thump of base and immaculate electronic compositioning. It never gets boring. I have over 500 songs in my library, from different artists from DDR, Backbeat Era, random compilations and from myself. Try it... unless dance isn't your style.:D
  16. true777 macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2000
    California, Austria, Arkansas
    Here's some more --

Ralph Myerz and the Jack Herren Band: Think Twice
    Ralph Myerz and the Jack Herren Band: Nikita
    Pink feat. Peaches: Oh My God
    Goldfrapp: Oh La La
    Ladytron: Destroy everything you touch
    Ladytron: Seventeen
    Ladytron: Playgirl
    Hot Chip: Over and Over
    Fischerspooner: Happy
  17. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    Meh, I tried :p

Those songs actually sound amazing at a party when everyones drunk and dancing, and the bass is thumping. mmmmm

I can't really picture a party with music other than hip hop. I can't think of how you would dance to people like Jack Johnson or some other rock :p
  18. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    Yeah, I can understand. Lots [most] teens rather listen to Rap/Hip-Hop/R&B than modern-rock/indie/alternative stuff. I know for me at least (and my group of friends), we much rather have the soundtrack to a Broadway show blasting over the Soundsticks than 50 Cent. I personally cringe when Rap comes on and I have no control over what's playing.
  19. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    Well theres your problem 50 cent! Like in all genres there is quality and there is crap. 50 is crap.
    Some quality hip hop includes:
    Lost Boyz
    Smif N Wessun
    OutKast(more partyish)
    Dead Prez
    Onyx(more partyish)
    DRE+Snoop----their older stuff(more partyish)
  20. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    I know and I 100% agree with you except this isn't for listening music. To just chill out and listen to some music I would never turn on 50.

But for dancing some of his songs have such a good beat. Listen to the Out of Control Remix with Mobb Deep right now and I'm sure you'll wanna get crunk and start dancing.
  21. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

Jul 31, 2005
    Promiscusous by Nelly furtuno (I know I misspelled it)
    Fake Tales of San Fransico by Arctic Monkeys
    Your Fit but you know it by The streets
    Blister in the Sun by Violent Femmes
    Where's me jumper by Sultuns of Ping FC (Great song)
    Stop me if you think you've heard this one before by The Smiths
    Fortune Faded by RHCP
    Hips dont lie by Shakria
    Whats Golden by Jurassic 5
    Castles in the Sky by Ian Van Dahl
  22. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    Many good suggestions so far that I'll support:

Bob Marley - One Love
    Jimmy Buffet - Uncle John's Band, Margaritaville
    RHCP - maybe an older song
    Violent Femmes
    I agree, gotta have Total Eclipse of the Heart - I was mocking that song when you were just a spot in your momma's...well, something :D
    Not into rap - so no suggestions there - except for some old school PFunk

I'll also go along with Jack Johnson. I like Jason Mraz as well.
  23. CompUser thread starter Guest

Hi everyone.

Thank you for all of your input.

I really like The Stills and The Strokes. Beck is a little weird, I like it but I don't really think its pool party music. Jason Mraz is also good but i hate his acoustic stuff. I do not like My Morning Jacket, the lead singer's voice is annoying.

I'm building an itunes playlist, I'll post it in a bit.
  24. CompUser thread starter Guest

How is this. I try to mix different types of music so that everyone is happy.

25. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc

how much of that music did you obtain through legal means? many of your artists, songs, and albums are incorrect or listed differently than how the iTunes music database recognizes them...