Summer Programs for Teens

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by realityisterror, Apr 3, 2006.

1. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

I know there are a fair amount of teens here and probably also parents of teens, and I trust the people in this community so here goes...

For the past 2 weeks I'd been counting on applying to the NYLF/TECH summer forum. I was going to apply tomorrow until I did some research online for the past 30 minutes or so. I read that it was quite expensive for what they do, mostly useless to anyone who's half tech-minded, and the company was more motivated by money and signing up as many people as possible.

Has anyone here participated in summer "camp" type programs such as Duke TIP that were particularly good, especially in the tech field? What type of experience did it provide? Was it worth the money? Should I look at community college programs?

I really need something to do this summer, and it seems like I'm running out of time!

reality

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Scrolling down this page will take you to a bunch of summer programs offfered by MIT. Dunno if this helps, especially since you're in Atlanta?

3. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

If Duke TIP is an option, which I'm not clear if it is, I would definitely go for it.
    I'm going there this summer. :) I've talked to multiple people that have gone there, and they all gave wonderful reviews.

My course choices:
    1. Mysteries of Human Conciousness
    2. Intro to Lab Sciences
    3. Philosophy

I am quite excited. If anyone here has been, please drop in and tell what it was like. :)

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

Man, it's April, it's a bit late to be thinking about summer school programs. However, my old HS counselor apparently compiled a list of them, check them out. Not necessarily tech related, but among the best of the best:

There's also stuff offered by the Center for Talented Youth at Johns Hopkins University, and miscellaneous things..

Also, a heads up, it may be expensive, but you generally go because of the people you meet and the things you do (which can be pretty useful in and of itself), not for actual learning. If you're planning on learning more than socializing (and most HS-targeted programs are a bit crappy when it comes to the former), then community college classes rock (and in the case of california, also free, AND they sometimes even pay for transportation ha :p ). The one I go to has robotics and embedded systems programming classes and such available.

edit: Also you mentioned NYLF/TECH, I've heard that was pretty crappy and not worth the money, and when I heard about it a year or two back, I was like, oh yeah right..so I don't know what you want to do. Honestly, I think the money is better spent on fun stuff...books like Code Complete (~$30 for a book with like 10 years of software management/development experience crammed into it) and a new computer to mess around with, and learn up for competitions like USACO (usaco.org), which looks a HELL of a lot better on college apps and resumes than anything else does...sucks I don't think I qualify for it anymore, but there's college level competitions too..

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

why learn when you can travel..... you should look into a teen tour, their's all types that go across the US, europe, australia, etc.....I did 3 and i would do it again in a heartbeat!

6. zach macrumors 65816

zach

yeah, i went through the same experience as you, and eventually decided against NYLF.

then i went and did a little research, and found out that UConn (i live in connecticut) had a week long pre-engineering program during the summer for only 400 bucks.

went to that, had a great time, and learned a ton. check around at your local colleges/universities, my guess is that at least one will have something like this.

7. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

because you can do both, and it's still just as fun :p

9. zach macrumors 65816

zach

yeah. honestly though, i went on a travel program.. People to People International, for 3 weeks to Japan. while the TRAVEL itself made the program better, the program in general was much better at the pre-engineering program i went to.

i'd prefer just to travel with my family or on my own, and go to organized programs for the academics and social life.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

once i take my last final my mind turns off and can't think... nor do i want to think, well on which alcoholic beverage i want ;)

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

heh. i'm still mulling over going to london/paris or belize or sitting on my ass doing nothing for the summer (the last one's probably what i'm going to end up doing anyway), but yeah zach, agreed, it's much nicer to travel alone/with family, but sometimes it actually is fun traveling in huge groups (nice discounts and such, and special stuff).

and i mean like, just learning. learning is great fun. sure finals are horrible and once you're over with them, you feel so great and want to just be lazy for the next two months, but after the first few days that wears off real fast.

12. zach macrumors 65816

zach

discounts my ass. friggin' three weeks in japan cost me 5.6 grand. i mean, it's not cheap to go to japan, but even i can put together a travel package for less than that..

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

meh. my trip to the british isles with the people in my program was pretty cheap for 2 weeks and all we did, roughly $2k iirc.

Alas, the trip to Korea wasn't as great, as the plane tickets alone were more than that.

14. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

Is the NYLF the national youth leadership forum? i got nominated for that, but since im taking a 2 month, 8 hour a day intensive SAT Prep program, and also volunteering at 2 hospitals over the summer, I won't be able to go.

I heard it was really cool though. one of my friends went, and they said they got to watch doctors operate on a guy's head and do all sorts of neat stuff. Of course, this was for the NYLF/MED.

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

yeah, but it's more leadership than anything else, right? i had my doubts about it, but from a leadership standpoint it's not horrible..

16. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

They just call it a "leadership forum." There's not much "leadership" to it. But they nomiate people according to their PSAT score and recommendations.

17. janey macrumors 603

janey

they seem to be nominating a LOT of people..

18. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

really? how many in your school got nominated?

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

I dunno how many, but everyone I had talked to back then knew about it, a handful online did too...seems a bit high for something seemingly so special? heh.

I don't even think I did that well on the PSAT, no idea where my results thing went, but my scores weren't spectacular or anything..

20. realityisterror thread starter macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Wow, I go watch a basketball game and I get nearly 20 replies. Thanks. :)

I guess I don't really want to go for learning. Hell, most of these programs are somewhat offensive to me. "Learn Dreamweaver and Notepad in 63 days". Where's "Advanced PHP" or "Ruby on Rails"?

I don't really want to just travel either. My parents do a lot for me and definitely spend too much money on me. I don't want to ask them to pay for me to run around having fun all summer either...

But what I really don't want to do is spend my 16th consecutive summer doing nothing. Maybe I should look into getting a job, but at 15 and not being able to transport myself, that's also bound to be difficult...

If anyone knows of anything good in the metro Atlanta area or in the Bay Area, please post it.
    Hell, if anyone has any idea of something I can do over the summer, please post it.

reality

edit: Thanks for the links, and the things I read about NYLF basically said they nominate anyone in hopes of people signing up and don't deliver a lot of what they promise.

21. zach macrumors 65816

zach

WHYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!

but anyway, like half the kids in my school got nominated. i do go to a private school with 250 total high school students, most of whom are pretty bright, but it's not really an "exclusive invitation" no matter what they say.

22. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

A link to summer technology stuff for high schoolers going on at Georgia Tech ...

23. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

To get a higher SAT Score, why else? :D

I have gotten a 2000 on my practice tests. I'm trying to get it up 300 points, and this program has a guarantee that your score will go up at least 200 points. You can check it out here.

24. janey macrumors 603

janey

ROFL! My parents made me go to Elite. Trust me, the practice tests there are sooooo f-ed up...all the instructors I had were dissing the tests quite often (not the ones that were from real SAT tests, but the ones that the people at Elite wrote - i think it's hagen, arnold, and/or someone else usually..it was the initials of the test writers that make up the test #). I don't know if they've changed much in like the past year or two since I've been there, but man...that place...I don't think I ever learned anything. All the kids there knew me because I was the person who always got all the computer-related jeopardy questions right (or, just knew too much about too many things)..and everyone who worked there yelled at me when I slacked off on the tests, or when I finished a full practice SAT test in an hour and got like 1430 (old test) on it or something. I actually think the guy who was sorta proctoring the tests thinks I'm weird because I always ended up finishing a section in 5-10 minutes and playing games or reading for the rest of the time.

Also, the boot camp is SOOOO not worth it. It's faster than the rest of the classes they have, which is nice, but they make you "learn" a ******** of vocab (as in, they will actually hand you thousands of little flash cards with vocab words on them), and had an actual demerit system in place if you got a crappy score...ugh, the guys sitting around me used to cheat off my paper so much so they wouldn't get in trouble for getting like a 50% on the tests..I mean, if you actually get something out of it (and you probably will), it's cool, but most people who do it don't really give a ****, and so it's useless if you're one of those people. But, you need the right people, the instructors make alllllllll the difference. (like, there was an english teacher at the los angeles one, his name was JD, he was REAL good, but he stopped working there indefinitely a couple of weeks before I left elite for good (he was pretty much the reason why, lol) and that sorta sucked. there's also a few other good people, like hamilton, but I think he does LA classes only, also, he's a real gourmand, his restaurant recommendations are awesome...btw, settlow and lebow (yes, he actually is on imdb: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1572991 ) are REAL weird, sometimes cool, but real weird..david long is really good with writing and has impeccable taste in music) Then again, I've just been to the los angeles one, so i dont know if its the same people in san diego. i know sometimes some of them go to arcadia, but not all. And yes, reading this over, I thought it was freaky that I knew so much about some guys teaching SAT stuff, but it's inevitable. You see them listening to iPods, talking about taking their girlfriends to concerts, eating food, acting out scenes from movies, talking about their aspiration to become a screenplay writer...

And, if you know your roots and such, the vocab tests are VERY easy. I don't think I ever really opened the packets or read the stuff more than once, most of it was like 8th grade english stuff.
    They repeat a lot of material every like 3 months or so, so it's really not worth going for more than a few weeks. Again, I don't know if that all changed, but it was like that when i went, and odds are it's still the same lol

But, in all honesty, I would go back any day. It was a nice community ;)

btw, do you have a math teacher named eric (like, 5'8" tall asian dude who likes snowboarding and basketball and teaches like crap)? if you do, can you bother him and tell him to get on AIM someday or maybe answer jane's emails, that i have something to ask him about the mcat, and also about what he did to his powerbook? thanks :D

OMG, i didn't know you were doing one of their intensive classes, haha. Good luck. It'll be over soon :p
    Also, if it's one of those programs where they guarantee a higher score or they will refund your money, if you're out to get your money back, don't ever get a high score on a practice exam or the real test, that's how you get it back :p not many people do though, so..

Just as a reference, I got a 1530 on the old SAT, the last one ever (in january 2005 iirc) where the math curve was goddamn brutal, in the middle of sophomore year, 790 on the SAT II writing test somewhere also in freshman or sophomore year (or might have been 800, or 760 or something..scores for SAT II math 2 and physics are all mixed up with writing in my brain right now), and a 1290 or something in 7th grade for the johns hopkins CTY deal...went to Elite somewhere between the two times that I took the SAT ever...judge for yourself whether or not it worked for me :p

25. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

i havent met my teachers yet- in fact, this SAT Boot Camp thingie doesnt start till the summer starts, so i still have some time before absolute death. the women teachers though are pretty hot. And im in san diego, and i think this "hamilton" guy is the head guy here. if i see any guy named eric, ill tell him.