Summer project...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alxths, Apr 16, 2004.

1. alxths macrumors 6502

Well classes are over and i'm going to be looking for things to occupy my time, so i've been thinking of starting up some sort of project over the summer... right now i'm thinking among:

-buying an old, broken down motorcycle and fixing it up so i won't have to rely on public transportation anymore

-learning a thing or two about electronics and build a new electric guitar, or maybe some original effects pedals

-build what i think i could best describe as a mac PC... make my own aluminum case and what not... i'd try to make it as small as possible, so there'd be a lot of cooling ussues that'd keep me busy

those are the top three things i have kicking around in my head at the moment. Does anyone with experience in any of those areas have any advice to offer? Any of you have any ongoing projects that you want to talk about?

:)

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

All three sound like lofty goals for a summer project. Although number one and three would make more sense. I think that building a Mac could be the best, that one could lead to a bright future in the computer industry. Good luck with whatever you decide on alxths. Please keep us update on your decision and progress.

3. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Yea, and I was planning on finding a cure for cancer over my summer break :rolleyes:

I say, to go will number one. That seems like the most reasonable project even though it might be the most expensive.

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

how are classes over?! you can't be in the US, can you?!

5. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

Carleton University, in Ottawa, Canada

And yeah, the first is definately the most practical.. but bloody exensive.. i mean, after all the money i'd spend to aquire and repair it, there'd be insurance and gas... although i'm sure the gas milage would be great on it.

The last one has a little practicality too since if it turns out well enough, i may see if i can start selling them...

I don't mean to leave out the second option though, since it is by far the coolest :cool:

6. sen_almighty macrumors member

Carleton eh? nice, the tunnel system is kool, too bad UofT doesn't have one of those

7. sen_almighty macrumors member

oh yea, bout your question, haha, #3 sounds good, good luck

8. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I think #3 sounds best, I have toyed with the idea as well! It would be a fun challenge!

9. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Why does that have to be a summer project only??

At least during the school year, there wouldn't be time to smoke up all the profits :D

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I go to school in Florida and classes ended today for me, as well. I guess some of us are just lucky that way :D I'll be busy, though, I am working full time this summer and next week I am moving into an apartment in town so I will have my hands full with packing.

11. m4rc macrumors 6502

No offence, but I doubt selling computers you build will make you any money. It has been discussed on here before, but the sum of the components isn't going to be cheap, with the hassle of building you are going to want to make a small profit. Add that to your costs, and you will more than likely find a machine in the market for less, certianly if it is a few months old.

Just don't want you thinking you have found a get rich quick scheme - maybe it would work doing it for a few friends and family though.

Marc

12. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I don't think the Mac PC idea was even supposed to be a business idea. It was just a way of doing something over the summer. However, if you are just after the aluminum look on the outside, then it would be better if you use an existing shuttle/xpc or other SFF market body to start off on at least. Unless you got a machine shop in your basement, it'd be interesting just to get the materials for the case together in the beginning.

On the motor bike idea...heck yeah. Sounds fun, but i hope you got some connections to help you get the parts. It always helps to know people in the industry...especially with cars/motorbikes. Even if its not simply giving you a good deal, at least you have someone who can teach you how it works...

13. macka macrumors regular

I'm not much a handyman sorta guy, so wouldn't do any of the ones you mentioned. Simply for that reason and because I wouldn't have a clue where to start...but I'm not you so...I'd say # 3 too.

14. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, a little creative thinking can go a long way; but yeah, as mav451 said the computer idea is first and foremost for my own personal amusement.

And yeah, it'd help a LOT if i knew a few people who could help me out wiht parts and tips for the motorcycle, but unfortunately i dont. I'm sure there are plenty of message boards out there that i could turn to for questions though

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, it may just be for 'personal amusement.' The discipline and thought process would still be helpful toward your future. This will be a leaning experience, I just think that learning is a good thing. You never know it could lead to a future career.

16. haiggy macrumors 65816

I'm from Waterloo, Ontario :)

17. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Dude, you and I would get along great. I plan on getting an old motorcycle myself very soon. Something like a 1977 Kawasaki KZ900.
    Good luck on all that.

18. cosmo macrumors newbie

summer's a month away for me. . .

but here's my abreviated project list. . .

1. get my motorcycle license. my dad has two bikes, one of them just sitting around waiting for me :)

2. continue the never ending task of trying to decipher general relativity, this summer i want to improve my differential geometry. . .

3. win the brown county amateur (golf tournament). hopefully qualify for the state amateur, and in general play good, anxiety free golf this summer. . .

4. go to at least three MLB games. . .

5. watch tiger woods for at least two holes at the PGA at whistling straits in august, and get a picture with him / autograph

6. ibid w/ ernie els and davis love III

thats about it i guess, for now at least.

19. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

20. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I built speakers over a summer holiday, they were excellent sounding. The finish wasn't the best. Well...
    ...when I say I built speakers I actually only got round to finishing one. I made a mistake on a baffle in the second one and still haven't got round to correcting it. But that one speaker...top notch :)
    Get your local hard-ware store to cut the MDF and buy a cheap plunge router and you're away.

Have a look into that, you'll find for the money you can build great quality speakers that sound much better than speakers bought for the same price from Hi-Fi shops.

I expect it's a lot easier than building a guitar anyway ;)

AppleMatt

21. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I've only got 3 weeks left of this semester, so I'm looking for a project too.

I was going to buy a G5 this august, but instead I'm thinking of getting another emac (the new superdrive model) and building an AMD 64 system for games. It will cost less and do more than a G5.

A friend of mine is going to build a linux server, so I'll probably help him with that.

I tried the motorcycle thing a few summers back, then realized that I know zip about motorcycles and gave up.

building speakers sounds interesting... :)

22. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

kuyu: I'd personally hold off the AMD64 purchase. I know the it may even be until 2005 when the 939's come out, but I personally would wait for that it you are going to make a major purchase for a gaming computer. As it stands now, even I am considering jumping to the 939 from my current Athlon XP computer, if the prices are right of course.

This is not to say that the current 754's aren't bad (Athlon 64 2800+, 3000+ (most value), 3200+, 3400+) which are easily better than the P4 eqiuvalents, but the 939's will be that much better :)

Also, with the GeForce 6800 in full swing in 2005, vid cards will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper (5900 ultra/9800XT possibly dropping 50-100 bucks in that time frame).

23. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Your waiting until summer to do this?? :confused: I didn't know it was seasonal :p

24. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

It's one of the most rewarding things I've done, I'd recommend it to anyone. Everyone in my house was really skeptical when I told them about it, but now a couple are seriously looking into building their own.

My mum summed it up for me, "Matthew, this is the first project that you've actually completed"

I made the Audax home theatre kit, but there's hundreds out there. Have a look at AVS fourums or DIYAudio.com. I warn you though, if you decide to go ahead, it's addictive. Set yourself a budget and number of speaker limit and stick to it :D

AppleMatt