Summer Reading

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irain, Aug 12, 2006.

1. irain macrumors regular

irain

My summer reading list:
    The House on Mango Street
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
    A Tale of Two Cities
    The Crucible
    The Scarlet Letter
    The Poisonwood Bible
    The House of Mirth

I just need to finish A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

What do all of you have to read?

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Oh, is that for college? Tha's a staggeringly long reading list. I am on my way into the 10th grade and I had to read:

Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow
    Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
    Crusade for Justice: An Autobiography of Ida B. Wells by Ida B. Wells

I read the first two, and I am waiting for Crusade for Justice to come in on Monday.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I had to read Rocket Boys.. and write 17 chapter summarys, 2 1 page essays about Coal mining, the UUSR and or a few other things to pick from, and we need to pick ou like 10 vocab words.. not hard just it will take time to do.. time i'd rather spend not doing it

5. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

wow, that is seriously long, what grade are you going into, and i dont know how long those books are, so a rough estimate plz?

here is what i have to read:

The Grapes of Wrath - a good book, but the ending was weird :eek: (anyone who has read it will know what i'm talking about ;) )

Benjamin Franklin - a biography, it was OK i guess, i wish the author would have focused more on what he invented, rather than polotics :(

The Color Purple - i havent started this one yet, but i'm pretty sure its going to be really depressing, my brother read the first page and said it had something to do with some girl who gets raped by her father :eek: . i'm not looking foreward to it:(.

I'm going into 11th grade by the way.

My brother on the other hand, is going to be a sophmore at Caltech (California Institute of Technology) and he doesnt have ANY! which i suppose makes sense. Although he says he wishes he does. :confused: :confused:

6. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Lord of the Flies and Fahrenheit 451. Going into 9th.

7. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Lol, if he's going to a tech school he's probably tired of looking at equations/schematics/theorems all day. Turning off that technical side of your bring to read is sometimes relaxing.

8. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I have to read Ishmael by daniel quinn (for senior year in hs), but I can't find it anywhere so I probably wont read it.

9. CompUser Guest

For 10th Grade...

Honors English: The King Must Die (HORRIBLE BOOK) & I have to do a bunch of work along with it such as notes, essays, etc

AP Biology: Reading 1 Unit of a Book about Ecology & answering questions.

10. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

We had a large list (but only had to read one from the list) I chose Stupid White Men - Michle Moore.

10th Grade aswell. (9th going to 10th)

11. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

acutally, he was supposed to get a SURF (Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship) do do research and stuff. He absolutely LOVES math and science, he's been known to carry a graphing calculater with him while on a trip/vacation. He cant wait to go back to school.

12. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I remember back in middle school we had to do summer reading. We didn't have to do it at my high school though. I remember reading Stone Fox, and...The call of the Wild, funny, they both had to do with dogs and snow :p. I remember doing one on a baseball book in 7th grade but the teacher never even checked for it. :rolleyes:

My younger brother had a long list of books to choose from last year but, he only had to read one, not eight! :eek: Good luck with reading all of that, seriously. If your interested in the subject it's much easier to read it than when your forced to. I found that after high school I found myself reading books that interested me, it sure was a lot more fun than being forced to read something you had no interest in. :D

13. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

14. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Going into 11th grade
    The Grapes of Wrath- Already finished
    The Americans- The Colonial Experience- Just started it, its really boring
    Their eyes were watching God- haven't even started it
    Some essays- haven't started them.
    Plus i have some bookwork to do for French and Psychology, and an essay to write for psychology. But i still have about a month left to do all this...

15. _Matt macrumors 6502

July's People Nadine Gordimer

Jane Eyre Charlotte Bronte

A Clockwork Orange Anthony Burgess

In Cold Blood Truman Capote

Going into Junior year of high school...

16. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

It's not weird.

A little forced and misogynistic, I'll grant you. But then, it's Steinbeck.

Blows my mind that Steinbeck and Woolf were writing at about the same time and more people read/are reading Steinbeck.

*wanders off, grumbling that his supervisor won't let him teach To the Lighthouse*

EDIT: You can always inter-library loan it from the Providence Public Library. Ask how at the circulation desk -- there are still two copies left in the greater Providence area!

17. Xanderxxx macrumors member

Hmm

For English AP, 12th Grade:

A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man by James Joyce
    Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
    Wuthering Heighs by Emily Bronte
    Moby-Dick by Herman Melville
    The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

I'm currently reading The Fountainhead. I'm beginning to fear that I might just not be able to complete it by the 29th, the first day of school. I'm still on page 140 of 700. For the first four books, I was assigned to write seven dialectic journals. For the fifth, a visual response.

I'm doomed. :eek:

18. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Going into 11th

The Great Gatsby (required)
    A Clockwork Orange
    Band of Brothers
    Blink
    The Tipping Point
    The Old Man and the Sea

19. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I'm going into 11th and I didn't have a summer reading list. I've read a few dozen books this summer (noteably The Godfather), and right now I am working on Common Sense and The Rights of Man by Thomas Payne and The Jew in the Lotus.

Bill Bryson and Geroge Orwell are my favorite writers, and I have read nearly everything by them. I just tried to fit this huge stack of books in my room onto my shelf and realized that I need another one :(

20. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

The king must die is a great book , the second book - the bull from the sea is pretty good as well.
    The Kings must die is also a great book to use in Cultural Anthropology classes or intro to mythology. It really helps if you know what myths the book is based on and what myths it is taking place in. the symbolism in that novel is pretty high and very region focused, I find the most North American have trouble with it but not europoeans...

The summer reading I have is reading and marking first and second year essays on the same boring subjects...oh and lots and lots of journal articles for my research...

21. CompUser Guest

I just cannot get into the book. I find it boring and the entire summer i have only been able to read 39 pages. I read the DaVinci Code in 3 days. I just don't see where this book is going. At this point it just seems like a really boring memoir. For some reason, I never learned about greek mythology in middle school. In 6th and 7th grade other english and social studies teacher taught it but I never had one of the teachers.

Generally speaking I hate books about mythology, indians, people migrating to the west, and people living on farms.

22. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

You have my empathy.

I've made extra cash this summer by writing essays for large, American testing firms. Remember taking the SATs and wondering who on Earth wrote that really boring essay about 18th century Inuit sculpture?

Well ... :eek:

23. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I don't HAVE to read anything...I just like to ;)

I am currently on the third book of Stephen King's Dark Tower series, and I'm gonna keep on going until I reach the end :D

24. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

the only summer reading i'm doing is on mac rumors :p
    My school never made us do summer reading... too many kids going to camp/vacations :rolleyes:

25. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Into Thin Air - read, I need to be prepared to do a report on it once I get to school

Flowers for Algernon - Read, and I have to write a paper

Lord of the Flies - I need to read, and a friend says there's some paper I have to do

This is going into 8th grade, and I have 12 days to do it. Very doable, but I'm still freaking out, especially since I'm going out of town for a few days.