Sunbathing in Norilsk, Siberia

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jul 27, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Let's all remind ourselves that weather is not climate. Don't panic. But, this does make me sweat just a little:

[​IMG]

Just because it hit 32C on one particular day in Norilsk (built on permafrost) should not be cause for alarm.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2013/07/its-90-degrees-siberia-and-people-are-sunbathing/67663/

2. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Looks like they are having around two and a half hours of darkness right now, so, lots of time to work on the tan.

3. macrumors 603

Technarchy

Looks like fun. Hopefully they get another 30 days of the same before September.

Nothing like a hot day feeling the sun on your back. Add chicks in bikinis and it gets even better.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm thinking the shore of the Arctic Ocean may be great for bikinis by the Summer of 2015:

http://theconversation.com/final-frontiers-the-arctic-12911?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The+Weekend+Conversation&utm_content=The+Weekend+Conversation+CID_0fa0a0af7a2a03e4070fc6aafd6c95d3&utm_source=campaign_monitor&utm_term=Final%20frontiers%20the%20Arct

5. macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Oh Journalism at it's finest.

"But we don't have a picture of people sunbathing in Norilsk."
    "Do we have one from anywhere in Siberia? English speakers won't know the difference!"

FYI Atlantic Wire, Norilsk is about 1,000 miles north of Lake Baikal.

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

thread starter macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Sorry. I meant to have posted this image from the article instead:

[​IMG]

There is a nice photo essay on Norilsk here, by the way, but, the photos were taken in May of last year, not last week:

http://www.themysteryworld.com/2012/07/hell-on-earth-norilsk-in-russia.html

Photos of mills, apartment blocks, snow, and bikinis.

FWIW, here is the original Siberian Times article:

http://siberiantimes.com/ecology/casestudy/news/norilsk-breaks-records-for-arctic-heat-in-a-new-sign-of-changing-weather-patterns/

7. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Well, you know those hardy people from Wisconsin and Minnesota, they are always bragging, "oh, it got down to 15°F, so I had to put a shirt on," the Siberians are probably like that, wearing bathing suits in weather that would turn a New Yorker's toes blue.

8. macrumors 603

Technarchy

I went to jump school with a guy in the Alaska Guard, and he would talk about not bothering to wear jacket unless it below freezing, and 40's was t-shirt and flip flop weather

9. macrumors G4

skunk

As someone who wears flip-flops in the snow, I call Alaskans soft.

10. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I went to jump school with a guy from Barrow Alaska. Georgia was not good for him at all..

I was stationed at Ft. Drum PT in the winter means a sock over your bits but in general anything outside under 15 minutes i.e. run to the DFAC, Class six, PX, commissary doesn't require more than shoes.

10 years on my wife hates it though because it just doesn't get cold enough here for me to want to wear a coat, Folks are supposed to wear coats in the winter time, after all what will the neighbors think :eek:

11. macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The Siberians I knew liked to dress warmly. When really cold, they'd dress like a cabbage (lots of layers).

12. macrumors 68030

.Andy

And in Australia we wear thongs in the snow.

13. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Snow in Australia?? Give me a break, the only Australians who have ever had to deal with snow are the ones living on Heard.

14. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Haha :D!

There seriously are ski fields in the south of Australia though! On a couple of large hills!

http://www.mthotham.com.au/

15. macrumors 603

thekev

Tasmania gets quite a bit of snow.

16. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

And in NZ we wear Jandals in the snow.

17. macrumors 604

chrono1081

I too like my cold snowy weather. I adore snow.

It has to be REALLY cold for me to even put a coat on. I swear I have a 20 degree temperature difference compared to everyone else. If its 70 out I'm getting too hot outside.

18. macrumors 68030

.Andy

You win :D!

19. macrumors G4

skunk

I left that one to our resident Kiwi expats out of sheer good manners. :)