Sunday lunch with... Neil Cavuto

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 11, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002

emphasis is mine, and i want to discuss that angle. do journalists, in fact, have any obligation to be uplifting?
  2. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    i don't know if they do. In my opinion, I want the facts. If the facts are good, let me see them. If they are bad, let me see them. Granted, if I read an article about a car bomb going off, the facts will probably be bad. Likewise for something good. I don't see why any newspaper can't report both good and bad articles (about Iraq, or whatever).
  3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    as an experiment, i went to, the site for one of the two major papers in chicago. their first 3 headlines are:

Feds: Pilot battled braking system

The new math of dining out

Getting in to magnet schools

1. an update on a major local story this week
    2. a puff piece on restaurant prices and new eats
    3. a story about magnet schools and the guide to them

none of these are really negative, imo. i don't know if #2 qualifies as "uplifting," but it is about the human experience.

one local news station regularly does a piece called, "People You Should Know," which is of the uplifting variety. and the 1/2 hour news shows nearly always end with some kind of puff piece, designed to make us feel good at the end of the news. i have some journalist friends, and none of them do their job with the intent of making the public feel bad.
  4. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Journalists can't help it if reality has an anti-Bush bias.

And besides, where were the calls for reporting the uplifting side of a blowjob? :p
  5. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Yeah, I don't think that Bush supporters get why we dislike him. I'm sure it has nothing to do with him sucking. That's why he went from a 90 something % approval rating to a 30 something one. If he was doing a better job, I probably wouldn't be here bitching about him. Were he a Dem, I'm sure conservatives would be right here with most of us bitching too.

Why do I have the feeling that Neil would be calling Bushie a traitor if he had a (D) next to him name?
  6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    There's a special irony to Cavuto's statements. If the media are saying things are going horribly in Iraq, why do I need to call upon the "contrarian in me" to get the flipside when the Bush administration is willing to do it for me?

Furthermore, when the Bushies tell us how swimmingly things are going in Iraq, why shouldn't the contrarian in me tell me they're full of ****?

Or does this Conan the contrarian only apply to anti-neocon thoughts?
  7. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    I don't believe the media has an obligation to be uplifting. They can choose to support the administration or not, but they have no obligation to. Far as I'm aware newspapers across the pond are specifically partisan, are they not?

I also think the reporter does a good job of pointing out the ridiculousness of trumpeting 3500 new businesses when you can't drive to said businesses for fear of being blown up. Does gallows humor count as being uplifting?

Also, in the specific case of the Iraq War I think the media shouldn't be uplifting, because of the way the war was sold, executed, and not finished. How and why should the media be uplifting considering the circumstances surrounding the war? If the administration showed any competence, ie) something to be uplifting about, then coverage wouldn't be so one-sided.
  8. tristan macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    Neil Cavuto is not a journalist. He's a pundit.