Sunday, the first day of the week?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gekko513, Apr 3, 2005.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I find it a little puzzling that Sunday is the first day of the week in the USA. I thought USA was very dominated by christians.

According to the bible, God created the world in 7 days. On the first 6 days, he creating things. On the 7th day he rested. That's why Sunday is holy and no work is to be done on Sundays. So Sunday is the 7th day according to the bible, and yet in the USA, Sunday is the first day. Isn't this blasphemic according to christianity?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Actually, wouldn't that be a Jewish story? The Jewish Religion celebrates their holy day on Saturday. Thus Saturday was the last day created and the last day of the week.

If you have a line segment, then the "endpoints" are the start and end of the line. We call Sunday and Saturday the "weekend".

I really have no idea why we start the week on Sunday and most of the world starts it on Monday.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Monday always feels like the start of the week... can't think why.

4. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Well ... that makes sense ... but that also means that the numbering of the days in the USA has been set according to jewish beliefs. I thought there were a lot more christians than jews in the USA.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i think i remember reading about that

it got changed somewhere during the sixties or something was made international standard or something ? ... but like all international standards they are not so international after all...perhaps it just takes a little longer with the US to change that

6. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

If you say Sunday in Chinese, its xing ji tian (Day #) >> yeah, sounds kind funny.

Now, Monday? That's xing ji yi (Day #1). Tuesday xing ji er (Day #2), and so on.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

There are a lot more Christians in the US than there are Jews. But...it still was as Hebrew story. Many Christians reconize Saturday as the Sabbath, even though they celebrate Sunday as the Christian holy day.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Here is some good info:

quoted from here
    There is some other cool info on this page, check it out.

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Here is why I as a Christian start my week with a Sunday(presumably, this is why America as a Chirstian-founded nation does as well):

Jesus rose from the dead on Easter morning, which was a Sunday. In celebration of that which gives me eternal life, I celebrate that resurrection every week and start my week with newness because of it.

While America calendar's start their counting with Sunday, many businesses plan their weeks starting with Monday.

10. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

How strange. I went to christian bible school in Norway when I was little and I know that they teach that Sunday is the day of rest because of the jewish reason, so I guess there are different opinions on this around the world even if some truths can be more documented than others.

Personally I think we should get rid of the seven day week anyhow. :) Make it a 10 day week with days off being a matter between the employer and the employee. Make the remaining 5 and a quarter days of the year a holiday.

I know it won't happen, but I think it would make more sense. It's just silly that I can't go shopping on Sunday when I'm not even religious.

11. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Then move to the US where just about every shop (except banks, if you count those as shops) is open on Sunday. That whole "close shop on Sundays" thing died here a generation or two ago.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Many shops in my area still close on Sundays. We still have blue laws too, prohibiting alcohol sales on Sundays.

It's not uncommon to see a local store with a sign out stating "No Sunday Sales."

But little places like that are increasingly swallowed up by chain retailers who don't close their doors for Thanksgiving, Easter, New Year's, Independence Day, or even, in a growing number of cases, Christmas.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

well, there's the answer. if it's an international standard, the US will pick something else. :)

14. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

That's just too true. :D

15. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Yep, that's why the steering wheels in our cars are on the left :p
    Typical of us onry Americans; always gotta do it OUR way. :D

edit: Of course, I don't think steering wheel positions is a standard, but it ought to be. :D

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Actually, studies show that people are have a better view of the road when they are on the left side of the car and the right side of the road. It has something do to with most people being right handed and having one eye dominant.

England and other countries put the driver on the left for tradition. Go back to the Middle Ages in England when knights jousted. Knights held the lance in their right hand. It only made sense for knigts to say on the left side of the "road" so they didn't have to cross their own body to hit their target or opponent. Is just stuck to drive on the left side of the road. It also makes sense that if you are on the left side of the road, that the steering wheel be on the right so the driver is closer to the middle of the road to see better.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I always cross the road when I'm jousting. Confuses the hell out of the opposition. And anyway, my left eye is dominant.

18. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Anybody in the US ever heard of Saturday and Sunday being called anything else besides "the weekend"? Not in my recollection, and that's a good while. :)

So: The new week begins after the end of the old week, right? Ergo, to wit and therefore, the beginning of a week's gotta be Monday.

:D, 'Rat

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've always had iCal set up so that Monday is the first day of the week. It was always confusing to see the weekend split up like that. Another one of those decisions that flies in the face of logic and common sense.