Sunni Party Leaves Iraqi Government Over Falluja Attack

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 10, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

oops.

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

This is indeed very worrying. The upcoming election will indeed be highly imperfect. There really isn't any doubt that it will be viewed by some percentage of Iraqis as illegitimate, and some percentage of the world as illegitimate. The only question is how high those percentages will be. I wonder what backup plans the US has for the election.

3. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Instead of boycotting the election, perhaps the Sunnis could enlist the assistance of some American celebrities. Given the Sunnis' unique skill set, and with P. Diddy's help, it seems like they could organize a "Vote or Die" effort with some real teeth to it.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Comparing the upcoming Iraqi elections with the U.S. elections is not a good idea. I know you're not being serious, but the potential illegitimacy of the election resulting from a Sunni boycott is.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The legitimacy of an election where 100,000 electors have just been wiped out is somewhat questionable, to my mind....