Super 12" iBook w/ SuperDrive?! "Forum Newbie"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by eleveneastgate, Jan 23, 2005.

1. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If it quacks like a duck...
    The claims (up to 10x faster than a G4/G5 desktop) are so over the top.

There is no such thing as "Multi-Licensed" software --- the Quark, Adobe, Microsoft and Apple software are all pirated.

It's also a Private Auction, which means you have to register with the seller before you can bid. That's a common tactic to collect emails of interested people so the seller can sell off-Ebay. Be prepared (even if you don't win) that there will suddenly be an "opportunity" to buy more of these machines if you "act now".

It's a short - 3day - auction, another tactic to get in and sold before EBay can respond to complaints.

I don't know if the seller is a fraud. Theoretically one could make the hard drive and superdrive modifications to the iBook. But I do know they are a software pirate.

Stay away.

3. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

Geez man, this ibook is 10x faster than a desktop G5! What are you waiting for?!?!?! :rolleyes:

4. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Maybe 10 times faster than a 350 Mhz Yikes! G4 with 64 MB RAM…running the operating system off my first generation Imation USB floppy drive. On a bad day.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

To coin an old phrase...

"I wouldn't go near it with a barge pole."

Stay well away.

6. eleveneastgate thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your comments, and there's nothing like sarcasm to get you going in the morning --- Have a GR8 day!

Thanks for your advise, It's greatly appreciated!

7. eleveneastgate thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks... I will!

8. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, in my realtime experience while rendering in After Effecst actually the 12" PB is just 25% slower than a G5 2.0.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

heh, but we all know that's bull**** :rolleyes:

10. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

amazing deal, better hurry up before someone else falls for - I mean buys it. :D

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's one of the funniest things I've ever read...

"I am an Apple Certified Technician, PRO User, AND former powerbook owner who recreated this computer to please my higher standards."

"My configuration is so unique that some so-called pros deny it could ever exist!"

"My qualified training, daily research, meticulous skills, advanced tools, credible resources, years of experience, & growing demand & development make this truly the ULTIMATE Apple iBook possible to date!"

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

LOL, I hadn't read the whole page properly, just the first few lines was enough to make my mind up...but when you put it like that!

[​IMG]

13. eleveneastgate thread starter macrumors 6502

14. maya macrumors 68040

maya

What's so advance about this iBook, any person can get a higher rpm and capacity HDD, and add a 8x SuperDrive that is dual layer capable.

Add the screen spanning patches and you are good to go.

What a joke indeed? :p

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Echoing Maya, the hard drive and the superdrive are physically possible upgrades... This part is a little questionable:

Sounds like some kind of third party memory manager or something. I'd be quite shocked if it did anything terribly useful.

And the software licenses are pretty unlikely to be legitimate.

If you wanted to do this to an iBook G4/12", it would probably cost you on the order of $700 US to do the two major mods (the HD and the superdrive), assuming you paid someone to install them. The only hardware thing about this computer that seems funny is that after all the other additions, it has 384 megs of memory...128 of that is basically useless, because you would definitely want to pull it out and replace it with a larger memory stick....

But if the hardware itself is legit, I suppose this deal isn't sooo bad. I don't know how big an if that is. The seller has a low rating for a seller, but does have a few feedbacks from buyers...not that such a thing can't be frauded at relatively low cost.