Super Bowl Ads Discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by katie ta achoo, Feb 4, 2007.

1. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Best ad?
    Worst ad?
    View them all here.

I know I'm not the only person who was watching the ads and goofing off during the game... Thoughts on them?

Yes, disappointing Apple didn't show an ad, but I thought it was cool that Kevin Rose was in the Go Daddy ad! :)

(forgive me if there's a thread already on this, delete if there is!)

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm not sure about the worst ad (a bunch of the Coke ones seemed kind of lame), but I really liked the crabs worshiping the Budweiser cooler. That one was good.

3. Oblivious macrumors 6502

There was a pretty funny Snickers commercial I saw during the 1st quarter... though I can't seem to find it on that website.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Best: I like the rock and paper commercial with the last bud light. I also liked the Fedex one with the moon base.

Worst: The Go Daddy ad. They sure are beating the whole Candice Michelle thing to death.

Honorable Mentions: The GM robot one with the dream about the robot dropping the bolt. Thought that was good.

Honorable mention of the creepy scale: The HHR car wash ad. Although a paraody of the Bikini women car wash theme, it was a bit creepy especially with the old man in it. And as the above poster said, that snickers ad where the guys were eating the snickers and they kissed each other. That was also creepy and weird.

5. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

I can't find it on there either, but I know which one you're talking about.
    "Quick! do something manly!" *rips off chest hair*

My favorite was the Fedex one. It was cute :)

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I liked the one where they said a slap is the new hand shake.

7. polevault139 macrumors 6502

The "Rock Paper Scissors" one was pretty good, along with all of the Career Builder, and the Emrald Nuts. Besides that I thought that most of the commercials were crap. I think that the price of an ad is so high that companies have decided that the revenue is not worth the cost.

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I liked the Doritos commercial a lot. However, it started strong and ended weaker, imo... Which is kind of too bad for something that's only 30 seconds long.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Its not that ad space is to expensive its that last year everyone complained that the ads were to racy.

10. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Are you talking about the first one? That was filmed in Cary NC right near where I live. I wasn't paying much attention when I looked up at the TV and saw the strange blue roof of Waverly Place Mall (which is always empty... probably made filming easy). Definitely wasn't expecting to recognize a local place in a superbowl ad.

11. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Overall I thought the spots were pretty lame again this year.

I only really laughed at one. I can't stand Kevin Federline, but the ad with him singing in front of the hamburger joint security camera was pretty funny.

The game was lame too. These guys are "professional" and there were too many mistakes to count. I like a nice, clean game.

Oh well, time to watch a real game

/cues up Fiesta Bowl on iPod

12. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

The US is such a strange place. FCC tightens up rules because Janet Jackson exposes a breast for a second. Then during a superbowl when people like me are watching with kids around, ads go into ultraviolence and that seems to be ok:confused: . Frankly, I was not happy about my kids being exposed to a man dressed as a heart being pummeled by hoodlums, employees jumping off cliffs and being subjected to all sorts of degrading torture, and then the stupid CSI ads.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i can't believe no one mentioned the sierra mist ones. there were two, i believe. one of which was hilarious...

the beard combover

14. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

it's not working for me, on the cbs site. i'm reduced to watching youtube.

15. iLoveMyMBP macrumors regular

iLoveMyMBP

by far the best commerical this year...i was highly dissipointed

16. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I thought that the Connectile Dysfunction ad by Sprint was funny in 2 ways - one that it was kind of funny on its own and second it was a parody of the ads that run weekly on the normal footbal games...

17. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i liked the garmin and the nationwide ad with federline the best.

the etrade ones were good, as well as the bud commercials, especially the rock paper scissors and the heart attack. the sprint one was pretty funny too. the doritios was funny as well.

i didn't like the new career builder so much, it was kinda blah compared to monkeys.

and a big thumbs down to coca cola, t-mobile and some others for showing very old commercials in their spots. i heard the cc ads were actually shown in last year's game, although i dispute that, but still, come up with something original.

another thumbs down to snickers and godaddy, those commercials were disturbing on their own.

they were a better set than last year's though, but still not like the golden days.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'll second some of those "best": the beard combover, the Robert Goulet Emerald Nuts ad (loved seeing him crawl across the ceiling), the connectile dysfunction ad, and the one about the little GM robot.

Worst: the GM "We Got Love" ad (a mishmash of songs...lame), the HHR "car wash" ad (grossing out your audience is not a good idea), the Snickers "kissing" ad (same reason), and the Budweiser crabs.

You did notice it was pouring, right?

I thought about the Janet Jackson thing too...during Prince's half-time show. When they raised that beige curtain and you saw Prince's silhouette with that guitar...um, did that look way too obscene for family TV to anybody else??

For those of you who don't know me from the political forum, I'm a proud bleeding-heart liberal. But that was just wrong.

If they made such a fuss about Janet Jackson's split-second boob shot, but let this one go, I'll know the FCC has lost its collective mind.

19. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

This ad has to be the best of the best.

Why?

It only cost $12.

Could have been made by anyone, and I think that these 20 somethings have a real advertising future.

20. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

21. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

The FedEx ad, Budweiser (Crabs) ad, Snickers Ad, and the Doritos ad were my favorites. There were some pretty funny ones this year hehe :) :D

Haha yeah, I saw that thinking that somehow I changed the channel to some other station. The ad looks so cheap, I doubt it was worth it for them to buy that ad spot :p :rolleyes:

22. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I liked the Blockbuster ad with the mouse.

Mostly, I think the ads were lame this year.

23. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Oh yes, that was a very good one too :D

24. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I liked Sprint's Connectile Dysfunction ad as well as the Emerald Nuts ad.

The Bud Light commercials were funny, but overall, I thought the ads were kind of mediocre this year. None of them really stood out to me, and none of them had me rolling on the floor in laughter--just a giggle and smile here and there.

25. tmartino macrumors newbie

I had to pause the game while I put my daughter to bed, so I fast forwarded through most of the ads. I don't know why, but I found careerbuilder's ads to be funny.