Super Bowl Commercial Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveway, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I just wanted see what everyone thought of the Super Bowl commercials this year.

I think they were better last year. Napster and Olympus commercials were not that great, Olympus being the worst.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I liked:

• the Kinko's ad with Burt Reynolds
    • the Cadillac "Bang" ad
    • and most especially, the Anheuser-Busch tribute to heroes ad (does anyone know the song that was used in this commercial? let me know!)

3. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I thought they sucked. Very bland. It seemed like there were a lot more car and movie commercials than I remember in the past. Maybe everyone was afraid of the Big Bad Censors, or maybe it's getting harder to make an outstanding commercial these days.

I really liked the Careerbuilder chimp ones.

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Some of them were alright i guess.... i just wish that janet jackson one was shown :cool:

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, the GoDaddy.com ad was in that same ballpark... and the girl in the commercial wasn't too hard on the eyes. :cool:

6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I'm with you. I thought they all sucked with the exception of Carrer Builder and even that I didn't think was that stellar. That and the Apple one was the only one that I thought was even remotely creative. All the rest... well if they didn't suck they blew. But the commercials for the last few superbowls have all seemed to have gone downhill from what they use to be.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I thought they were better this year, after a disappointing last few years. The FedEx one with Burt Reynolds and the bear was the best easily, with the monkey ads and the "don't judge too quickly" ads also being very good.

8. brandon6684 Guest

9. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I loved the Ameriquest "Don't Judge too quickly" ones. Those were AWESOME!

10. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I can't even remember what company it was for, but the one with the cat and the marinara sauce... that was classic. (edit: as the guy above me said- ameriquest)

Also the one with the guy frozen in his new convertable wasn't too bad...

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

All the good ones were scraped for fear of the big bad FCC. Mickey Rooney :rolleyes:

12. aoasus macrumors newbie

Superbowl commercials

I really just watched for the ads, but they really sorta were a letdown this year.

Kinkos was probaly the best,
    Anheuser Bush Tribute was touching, but a old concept,

The pepsi/itunes werent really inspired, but as i said before, they were all sort of a letdown this year.

13. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Just watched the iTunes/Pepsi ad at Apple. I thought they were nice actually. I like the concept of opening the bottles and hearing the music.

14. bertagert macrumors 6502

The cat being held up with the guy with the knife and marinara sauce was a good one.

The Olympus ones were well done as well.

Believe it or not, the Napster commercial was really good for Napster. Everyone at my party looked pretty hard at it (these people are not ipod carrying folks either). I still don't think it will work but the ad did its job.

15. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I think we can all agree they were not as good as last year. I still say that the m:robe commercial was horrid.

Does the napster ad work in Safari for you?

16. narco macrumors 65816

narco

I think the commercials were pretty lame this year. I am glad most of the people around me during the super bowl saw through the Napster crap -- most of whom are PC users. Immediate red flag when you see $10,000 vs. $15 -- seemed like a scam to them, which it is.

But if anyone has the phone number of the girl in the second iTunes/Pepsi commercial with Gwen, I'll appreciate it.

Fishes,
    narco.

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I know there's another thread about this, but if you look at those Napster ads objectively, their point is quite compelling. With the $15/month subscription, you could put an entire different set of 10,000 songs on your player each month... something that would cost you $9,900 EACH MONTH if you did it through iTunes. And as long as those 10,000 songs average less than 4.5 minutes each, you could listen to ALL of them before moving on to the next 10,000.

18. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

The Verizon one with the monkey holding a banana like a phone saying "can you hear me now" really made me laugh until I figured out it was a Verizon commercial. I thought it was a competitor making fun of the Verizon commercials.

19. deral macrumors regular

deral

i thought that this ad was effective--I went to the website, and then realize how crap the product was.

20. Richter macrumors member

nope, probably need some kind of plug in

21. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

A couple guys at my party, not real computer buffs, thought it was a good deal. I told them otherwise. Another guy brought of the variety of music players and not just stuck with the iPod. I think i then offended him by saying all the others "sucked". He said "spoked like a true apple guy." Oh well, i dont care that much.

Anyways, my thoughts were that the ads have stunk lately except for a few like the ameritrade and careerbuilder ads.

22. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    IS IT JUST ME?

When I was watching the Napster ad, was I the only one who quickly realized they were off by $100?

$.99 x 10,000 = $9,900 if my calculations are correct......

Might Apple sue for falsely misrepresenting their prices? Not that they should sue..just that they are sue happy...am i the first one to realize this? do i get brownie points?

23. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Yeah, it was awesome, the people from the hpuse next to ours were laughing as well. The career builder were incredible good.

This is the first time I watch the super ball, the game was ok, actually nothing interesting for me, I was expecting the commercials which I think is oquard.

24. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Except - how do Napster pay the royalties, record companies, publisher etc?

Apple would have $9,900 to split 10,000 ways.

Napster would have $15 to divvy up 10,000 ways.

Where's the math in that?! :confused:

25. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That's easily explained. First, while my scenario is theoretically possible, the reality is that no one is actually going to switch out 10,000 new songs each month. Second, Napster have probably negotiated some sort of flat-fee royalty deal with the music companies... it doesn't matter how many times each song is downloaded or how many different songs are downloaded, the amount paid to each publisher is a constant. (If you think about it, Apple may ALSO have done this... which might make you wonder if they're "overcharging" at 99¢ a song.)