super drive or more speed/ram?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BIS2, Jul 8, 2004.

1. BIS2 macrumors regular

I'm getting ready to order a 15" powerbook soon and I need some advice. I can't decide if I should get the superdrive model or if its really worth the extra money? Would I be better off getting the combo model and just adding a bigger hard drive? the trade off is that the combo model is slower. So then I wonder if I should get the 1.5 ghz and change the option to just have the combo drive - that way I would be getting the faster computer with more ram. So my question is, looking a few years down the road, which am I going to wish I had more - the super drive or the speed/ram? I'm just not sure how useful the super drive would be? I would like to be able to edit video, but I could still do that and then transfer it to a computer at work to put it on a dvd.

So in short I'm not sure waht to do - any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

PS I mainly use my computer for email, word processing, photoshop, and possibly pagemaker.

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

My advice is - get BOTH! :D

Definitely having a faster processor is nice, but maxed RAM (buy from someone other than Apple) is going to make any machine run faster.

You can always add RAM later if you need it. Get a faster PB with a Superdrive. Up the RAM when you can.

3. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I saw skip the superdrive. Its not that good of a drive to begin with anyway. You can get a much better external DVD burner from Plextor for not that much more money. Get the faster model, drop down to the combo drive and order some more memory from www.crucial.com. Later on down the line if you need the superdrive you can pick up a DVD burner that will be better for less money.

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Get the speed/ram. On the long run, the super drive's really a waste a money. I mean, how many DVDs do you burn on the go anyway?

5. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Get the combo. It features faster cd read, write, and dvd read speeds.

6. Bhennies macrumors 6502

yerp. what he said.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Downgrade the 1.5ghz to combo drive, upgrade to 1 512MB chip and bigger hard drive. Thats the best config for you I think.

8. daxdagr8t macrumors member

just get the combo drive, u can get an external dual layer burner in the near future and for the ram get the single 512 stick instead of two 256.

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    if you do plan to burn dvds in the future you can get a hack for idvd if you use that program to let you burn to an external dvd drive

10. nyassa3898 macrumors newbie

nyassa3898

if you dont think you'll use the superdrive than go with the 1.5 with a single stick of ram. that way down the road when you want more ram your not stuck with a chip you dont need.

11. BIS2 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks!

well you all have seemed to confirm what I was thinking, to get the 1.5 ghz with the combo drive. thanks for your advice!!