Super G3 - Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by G3-Pwnz-G4, Jun 5, 2003.

1. G3-Pwnz-G4 macrumors regular

i have an uber-g3 blue and white.

500mhz (soon to be 600, once i get better cooling), 576mb ram, 4 hd's (3 of them IDE...i miss my zip drive, but not enough), 2 moniters run by a rage 128 and a voodoo5 5500.

my question is, i have an empty blue and white g3 tower with a 400mhz chip. is it possible to merge both of my comp's together to create one super-g3? a dp g3 would be sweet :cool: :D

2. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

3. Akira macrumors member

Re: Super G3 - Is it possible?

As far as i know the g3 can't act as a dual processor. And even if it could, the fact that the two chips differ in clockspeed makes it even harder to make it work.

4. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Sell the spare 400Mhz tower.

Sell the 500Mhz upgrade card you're planning to overclock/burn out.

Seperately they'll probably fetch more money second hand on eBay.

Spend the procedes on an 800Mhz sahara G3 upgrade from powerlogix.

You'd probably have enough left over to bump the RAM up to 1Gb and/or add a faster internal hard drive with large 8Mb buffer and 7200rpm speed (assuming you don't have the early B&W G3 with the hard drive controller bugs.)

5. ZeeOwl macrumors member

Re: Super G3 - Is it possible?

Nope, the G3 doesn't support multi-processor communication. That's one of the reasons it's much cheaper than the G4. If you want raw speed, the best upgrade at the moment (in theory) is the Powerlogix 800 Mhz G3 upgrade. Unless you do lots of audio/video editing or encoding, or PhotoShop work, which are things that make use of AltiVec. Then a G4 upgrade would be a better alternative. If you can get your hands on a 550 Mhz one, they can be overclocked to 600, and will give you more speed than the G3 800 for these specific tasks. I said in theory because I ordered a G3 800, but it was DOA. I'm waiting for Powerlogix to ship me a replacement. Apparently, it runs fine at 850 MHz, but only in the Rev.B G3s with the taller heatsink. Some reportedly work at 900 MHz, but I would recommend a fan for that. Since you say your G3 is 500 MHz, I would think it's a Rev.B.

Maxing out your RAM at 1,024 MiB, using the fastest available (CL2) will give you a slight edge over what you've currently got. Especially if you're running OS X and high-end apps. That will cost you about 100$US at OWC, for a matched set of 4x 256 MiB CL2 modules.

If you do a lot of large data intensive work (i.e. video or multi-track audio editing), get your hands on a fast ATA133 PCI hard drive card. OWC has some of those for about 80$. Of course, you'll need ATA133-capable HDs to take full advantage of it. But if even if your drives are only ATA66, a card will still help, as the B&W's internal ATA interface is only a 33. With 1 drive, you won't see much difference, but with 4, you'll see a big one. OS Xs built-in RAID 0 capability is plenty fast for all but the most high-end users.

If you have some high-end games, or do any video work, get the best graphics card you can get your hands on. From what I've heard, the fastest card compatible with the B&W is the original ATI Radeon PCI (not the 7000, which is apparently a bit slower). Unfortunately, that model was discontinued about 2 years ago, so they're really hard to find. I don't know how the VooDoo compares to the Radeons.

Just as a reference, here's my current setup:
    350 MHz G3 (overclocked 300)
    1,024 MiB CL2 RAM
    ATI Radeon 7000 with two 17" monitors @ 1,280 x 1,024
    ATI Rage 128VR with a third 17" monitor @ 1,280 x 1,024 and video in/out
    IBM Deskstar 120 GB 7,200 RPM HD (partitioned 80/40)
    40 GB 5,400 RPM HD
    I'm using this setup mostly for 3D modeling. That's why I need lots of RAM, and HD storage (though HD speed isn't very important). More processing speed would be nice, though not as much as if I was rendering or editing video (not there yet). Every setup is different. It all depends on what you want to do with the machine. For what I do now, my setup is fine.

6. vniow macrumors G4

I think what G3-Pwnz-G4 is trying to do is cluster them together, not stick two G3s in the same computer....and no, there is currently no way to cluster them how you would like, there's only certain apps that would take advantage of it so unless you want to do some sort of distributing computing project or something, you're out of luck...[​IMG]

7. G3-Pwnz-G4 thread starter macrumors regular

@barkmonster
    lol, who said it was an upgrade card? it's an oc'd 450. and it runs fine. and i have the B&W g3 that i bought 8 days before the g4's came out (wanna see a pissed teenager? you should have come to my house on that day...)

@zeeowl
    I do some work on ps7, flash mx and dreamweaver, and it runs OK on 10, but since i only have a voodoo5 5500 as a 2nd vid card, and mac os x is gay in the fact that it doesn't support it, i have to run in 9 to do basically any graphic-intensive stuff (rage 128 has trouble drawing buttons on x...)

@vniow
    yea, that's what i wanted to do...but i guess i can't now, eh?

8. ZeeOwl macrumors member

Re: Super G3

Yeah, too bad about the Voodoo. It was a good card, apparently. But since the company went belly up many years ago, you can't expect Apple to keep supporting them forever. Not many people bought them, or Formacs, etc... You can always replace it with an ATI Radeon 7000. They're not too expensive (120$ at OWC). Or try and find another used Rage 128. Strange that you have trouble with your Rage 128 in OS X. Both of mine have worked just fine in every version from Public Beta to 10.2.6. Maybe you don't have the latest drivers?... Check out the ATI website.

Well you can, but it will only work with software specifically designed for it. For example, Cinema 4D Net (the network rendering engine included with Cinema 4D XL or Studio). I have my Blue and White networked to my flat-panel iMac. When I render scenes, Net distributes the workload across both machines.

9. job macrumors 68040

job

Re: Re: Super G3

I didn't think you needed to update your GPU drivers since it's built into OSX (specifically for any ATi based cards.)

10. ZeeOwl macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: Super G3

That's true for the newer Radeon series cards, but not for the older Rage series. The Rage series need a ROM flasher update to work properly with OS X. The latest version is dated September 2001.

11. G3-Pwnz-G4 thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Super G3

I have the latest update, but for games it's still useless. wc3 runs soooo badly...

12. ZeeOwl macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super G3

OK. My update comment was more for the button drawing problems you say you're having in X. Because both my Rage 128 cards have always behaved perfectly. Try flashing your ROM again. If that doesn't help, maybe you have a defective card.

I don't know what wc3 means, but if it's a recent processor-intensive game, get a Radeon 7000. Or even better, a Radeon PCI if you can find one. Faster processor would help too. You should probably look into the Powerlogix G3 800MHz ZIF. Though I have reservations about that, as the one I ordered was DOA. I'm waiting for a replacement.

13. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super G3

link for the update

14. G3-Pwnz-G4 thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super G3

wc3 = warcraft 3...:D :rolleyes:

15. ZeeOwl macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super G3

Here's the ROM flasher update for Rage 128 cards. OS 9 required:
    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/mac/atimacrom901.html

Here's the latest ATI Rage 128 drivers. The file is identified as "October 2002", but it is actually the February 2003 version. So if you already installed this update prior to October 2002, download and install it again. OS 9.2.1 or OS X 10.1.3 minimum required. If you have 10.2.5 or later, your drivers should already be up to date:
    http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/mac/macos-october-2002-update.html

Edit: This driver updater will also work for the Radeon 7000 and the Radeon PCI. The ROM flasher is only for the Rage 128 though. The Radeons need a different flasher.

16. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

no way jose'

only the 604 and g4 chips will allow thathowever you can have one doing something while the other one does something else double the performance for the price of a monitor switcher.

how are you going to upgrade the cooling, i have a BW also running a 7410 g4 at 600/1MBL2 cache, voodoo 5500 and radeonn7000 i was suprised that the voodoo worked okay in osx even played dvd with vlc 6 no 3d though and is much faster in os9 then the 7000 at must things. anyway if you know of a copper heatsink fan combo that would fit, let me know i can handle 650 now for a few hours but put it back yo 600 until i get a better heatsink fan combo
    from my test seems faster then the l3 cacheless 800g4 imacs and emacs and 800 g3's here are some bench marks. if I can get to 650 that would be about 10% should be as fast as a cacheless 1GHZ emac/Imac except for the AGP port graphics

17. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

RTCW RUles

I have gotten RTCW to run on the voodoo 5500 card in os9.2.2. it runs about the same framepersecond as the 7000, the voodoo5500 drivers are 4 years older, but it run much smoother because it is the only pci card with 64MB vram and it looks way way better, because it is the only pci card with 4Xfsaa (no jaggies) regrdless of whether the games supports it or not, that siad i could not get ghost recon and some of the newer games to run right, unreal tourny, unreal, the quakes, 4X4 evo, pagnea games and others never look this good on a pci card that is, but forget it on newer games and osx only games, wish ati would release a ati 9000 radeon pci like they have on the pc
    have not tried wc3
    peace