1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Super Glue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jrtaylor6, Sep 21, 2011.

1. macrumors member

jrtaylor6

I some how got a little bit of super glue on the bottom of my MBA. What would be the best way to get it off. Its going to bother me till I get off.

Thanks,

2. macrumors newbie

olemrboston

If it's on the aluminum use goo gone.

Edit: or puck it off with ur finger/ razor.

3. macrumors G5

Macman45

Super Glue

Is damn hard stuff to remove from anything. It dries a White colour, so I can see why it's bugging you, but using anything to remove it is more likely to cause more damage to your MBA.

I hate to say it, but you may well have to live with it.

4. macrumors member

jrtaylor6

Yeah, its on the alumnium part on the bottom. I actually thought about trying to use a little bit of goo gone to see if it could break it up, but was not going to over do it with the goo gone.

5. macrumors regular

When you say you have some on there, is it a blob or is it smeared?

Post a pic!

If its a blob, surely you can pick it off with some force. Bet if you to some hardware/DIY store or look on the internet, you could find some chemical to remove it

6. macrumors 68020

Queen6

Acetone will break the SuperGlue bond, however I have no knowledge of what it may do to to the base aluminium. So use acetone sparingly and cautiously apply it sparingly with a Qtip.

Even though SuperGlue is incredibly strong, it has one weakness: acetone...

7. macrumors regular

How about clear nail polish remover. That has acetone in it and you can use the tiny built-in brush to apply it (sparingly). Use a plastic scrapper with a beveled edge (like a small putty knife)...once it softens gently lift it away.

Do not use a razor blade under any circumstance. No matter how careful you are it will scratch the aluminum.

8. macrumors member

jrtaylor6

I think this is what Im going to try. Because its only like a 1cm diameter so its not that large. Also this seems like the safest thing to try first.

Thanks

9. macrumors newbie

oily nail polish remover should be ok :)

10. macrumors 6502a

test on a similar surface first

MBA is made of anodized aluminum. Find something similar that you don't care about (your friend's MBA :D) and drop some Crazy Glue on it. Let it cure for a day, then try whatever remedy you have.

If all else fail, try adding fresh Crazy Glue to it as Crazy Glue is its own solvent.

11. macrumors 6502

alecgold

anodized aluminium is pretty though stuff, acetone won't harm it. If your really worried, get the old iPhone 1st edition out and try it... :D

12. macrumors member

Don't get the acetone on anything plastic or rubber, it will marr it beyond repair.