Super Mario 64 DS..

Discussion in 'Games' started by AJ Muni, Jun 25, 2006.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I jus had tons of fun playing NSMB and beat it already, and I'm thinking of getting Super Mario 64 DS. But i got a question..is getting the stars the same "route" as in getting them in the original game for N64? Is there any difference from the original game?

2. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

in 64 you have to complete tasks like "beat the boss", or "collect 100 stars"

etc..

3. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

In the videos at IGN, they look different. It is hard to tell, though. They added new characters than just Mario, in the game, so it seems like it HAS to be different. I was kind of wondering the same thing though.

4. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Yea I wanna see if any1 on here has actually played it, cuz i'm very interested in buying it..

5. socamx macrumors 6502

The game is very similar to the original. Some levels have slightly different tasks because the different characters have different abilities, in the end though it's collect all the stars and defeat Bowser just like the original.

Personally I enjoyed it a lot though.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I played the **** out of SM64 on the '64 way back in the day. And right now my latest gaming obsession is... SM64DS. It's very similar, but with enough differences to make it worth playing. It's probably mostly nostalgia that hooked me though.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

IIRC, it's Mario 64 and then some. Albeit Mario no longer has all the powers, he can float (new) and get the wing cap. Invisible Mario is now Invisible Luigi, Wario turns to steel and Yoshi... I forget.

It is the same game just with slight character enhancements. oh and new character levels too. but they're quite small and again, IIRC, only have 1 or 2 stars on them.
    it's a fun little game. I really enjoyed it. plan on playing through again when I get my Lite :)

8. socamx macrumors 6502

raggedjimmi: Yoshi can become any of the three with the caps around the level, then use whatever power they have.

9. crachoar macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't suggest buying this game, unless it's very cheap and you haven't played through the N64 version.

It's a good demo to show off the DS, but as a game, it's difficult to control, and not nearly as fun as it was with the N64 controller.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

sorta agree there. The DS never comes close to the N64's controller scheme. but since 100% completing it in a 5 day binge when I first got my DS I did become very fluid with the controls. don't know when it happened but I was doing everything I did on the N64 version. only prob was the final boss battle and I had to switch to the stylus/thumbstrap for the spin.

Different? yes.
    adapts? definitely.

11. socamx macrumors 6502

The controls are different yes, but you can easily adapt to them.

The game is very good and worth having if you want to play Super Mario 64 in a slightly new twist. Same gameplay though.

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Same here. 99.5% of the game, the D-Pad is just fine. I was kicking ass and taking names.

And then along came the final battle. Two bombs, then it became too hard to aim Bowser. Grrr.

13. sk1985 macrumors regular

I like the DS version. I got it free when I bought my DS. I highly recommend the game. The mini games are pretty fun and the main adventure is pretty tight.

14. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Yoshi breathes fire. That's his move.

I own SM64DS and basically it's the same as the 64 version, except you start as Yoshi and must unlock the other three characters. You must rely on each character's special abilities to get all the power stars.

I think it's a must have. It's taken a back seat because I just bought Animal Crossing and NSMB, but the task of getting 150 stars will always be there. It's not a quick game to beat. Maybe to kill Bowser the final time, but to get all the stars, which I think is the real point of the game, takes awhile.

Daniel.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

There's quite a bit of changes. There's 150 stars over the original 120 and a few extra short stages and more secret stars. Additionally, the caps are gone and replaced with a character system, and you'll get different abilities from grabbing items depending on which character you use and a few of the puzzles are noticeably tweaked to use the multi-character system instead of the multi-cap system.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh and the minigames are fantastic! I got my DS the same day I went to the dentist, sat waiting I just played on those Wario mini games. Trying to find out how to unlock them in the New Mario... in true "old skool" style I'm not reading manuals or guides or anything. playing them against mates is top.

17. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Mario64DS is worth buying just for the mini games alone. They're awesome, especially the bob-omb drops.

18. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

:D Alright good job MR's I guess I'll be picking it up today during lunch break..

19. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I loved Mario 64 on N64, but I didn't like it on the DS much cuz i couldn't control worth crap using the touch screen or D-pad. I heard other people say they had the same problem, and others say they had no problem at all... I wonder if it might have more to do with the quality of the touch screen on my particular DS... Anyway, the mini games were more fun to me than the actual game, and there are a whole bunch of them.

20. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

There is no huge differences in Mario 64 DS. I have played it and without the analog stick I found it very frustrating.

There are mini-games added which are entertaining for about 3 minutes. The point of these games was to introduce the touch-screen. If you have had plenty of experience with touch games already then you will find these mini-games childish and fairly pointless.

Unless you can get it for $5, I say DO NOT buy it.

I really disagree with that.

21. Tehy macrumors regular

22. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

If Nintendo knew (which they probably did) that they'd be releasing Mario 64 for the DS (one of my favourite ever games - if only for nostalgia reasons), they why didn't they incorporate an analogue stick onto the DS?! It wouldn't take that much room, and it can't be that difficult to do so!

Infact, they knew the DS had 3D roaming capabilities - so surely an anologue stick would've been an obvious addition?!

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

the original Mario 64 length, add 30 more stars. It took me a binge period of 5 or so days to 100% it. at least 3 hours a day (hey thats a lot for me!).

24. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I got it, and its a great game. I'm having alot of fun playing it. Brings back alot of memories. I'm controlling it very easy, and I dont understand all the people who cant control it. I just dont get it.:rolleyes: