Super Mario Bros on the Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by spencecb, Feb 15, 2004.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Does anyone know if I can download these old Nintendo games and play them on my Mac? I know you can on PC's, but I have been unable to find a place to download them

2. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Re: Super Mario Bros on the Mac

As far as I know downloading ROMs is illegal. It is possible to play the ROM's on a Mac if you can obtain them, hopefully legally.

http://www.emulation.net/ is a great place for information on emulators (the software that pretends to be a video game system). But they will not give you ROMs. I think there are some freeware roms out there somewhere but I haven't looked.

Technically the only legal way to use a rom is to use a hardware device to convert it to a software ROM. I'm not sure how to do this, but I think the above website has some links.

3. Doraemon macrumors 6502

AFAIK, if you own the game (NES cartridge), it's legal to have ROM files on your computer.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

That is correct, as long as you own something, it is legal to download and keep one (1) copy on your computer. This includes DVDs, CDs, computer and console games.

5. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

If you own the ROMs and want to find the rom files, I hear a good place to look is a p2p like Limewire.;)

6. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

I don't want to go into the specifics of legalities- I don't know them. Nintendo stopped making money on Super Mario Bros back in '89 or so. [But for the sake of keepin' it straight, get only what you own a cartridge to.] Just make sure you buy games still in production.
    In any case, here are some sites:

http://www.planetemu.net/
    http://www.iwn.fi/~timod/games_nesroms.htm
    http://www.coolrom.com/
    http://www.emulationstation.com/ <one of the best (requires registration)

Get your emulators here: http://www.emulation.net/ I use RockNES and it works great. Also try the Sega Master System emulator SMS plus. The SMS had few games, but some incredible 8-bit games were on it. (i.e. Phantasy Star, R-Type, Pshyco Fox, Rastan,ThunderBlade,etc.)

ENJOY!!!!!

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Blech Limewire.

neonart -- delete that before the mods get on your ass.
    Even thought my beliefs are the same as yours.

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hey neonart, thanks for those links!! :D great stuff.

there's probably a few sites that host torrent files for old ROMs and stuff as well, worth a look.

sure was a sad day when i heard that mame.dk had gone down, hopefully some of these sites can help fill the void. :)

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

:rolleyes:

Not sure what arn's policy is on ROMs and emulators since the only thing in the rules is warez/serials.

But he has this site and makes it clear that discussing P2P apps/sites is OK, just not the particulars of illegal stuff.

10. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Thanks for the heads up MrMacman. I think the mods are down to earth when it comes to this. By downloading Roms for games in the 80's we don't hurt the creatives that made these games. But for the sake of peace I'll edit the post...

I again repeat- if any software is in production, or the company still depends on it for revenue, BUY the game. This is especialy important for Mac games since it's the only way we can ensure more games in the future.

11. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Re: Super Mario Bros on the Mac

SNES9X is a superb Super Nintendo emulator for OSX. I hadn't used it for ages, until recently and was amazed how mature the emulator is. The freezing (i.e. saving) of games is beautfully done, and you can even put it in music mode, and add effects to the games music.

As for the game ROMS, you should be able to find them if you Google enough.

13. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

can someone recommend me a MAME/NES/SNES and OS X compatible "good" USB gaming control pads? (preferably around $20 to 30.)

don't want to wear out the keyboard... :p

14. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

Although it may seem better morally, owning a copy of a game does NOT make it legal to emulate it! Don't try to make excuses for your bad habits, people.

15. Torajima macrumors regular

Sorry, but emulation is legal. It's been legal ever since the courts ruled that Colecovision had the right to emulate the Atari 2600 hardware. But most of you are probably too young to remember that...

:)

16. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Well in the UK it is legal. You are legally allowed to make copies of things you own, as long as they are for your own personal use. The main idea of the law was to allow people to make backups of programs they own because disks and CD can easily become damaged.

17. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Thanks guys....I went to www.emulation.net and downloaded one of the emulators...seems to be working well.

18. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I use a cheapy AxisPad that I got from "unamed discount department store Im embarassed to admit purchasing this item from that rhymes with Mall-Fart" for 20 bucks. Works fine with SNES9x custom.

Download it from versiontracker. Works with the custom version only, but thats what everyone is using, and it works great.

Oh, and morally, SNES has been deader than dead for frikkin ages, so I doubt downloading roms and playing once in a while for good ol nostalgia's sake isnt hurting anyone but sencond hand shops. Besides, when I was a kid, I spent so much damn money on Nintendo (and still do, for that matter), that I've more than paid for playing MK for 15 minutes on my lunch break.

19. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Just FYI, but I think game makers are starting to take these old games more seriously again, since they can be ported to emerging platforms such as Gameboy and smart phones.

20. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

$20 to $30? I'll do you one better and offer you a great controller for $10.

http://us.thrustmaster.com/products/lookproduct.php3?productid=170&skin=Gamepads

It's a great little controller. I use it all the time. Works perfectly. I for NES EMU, there are more than enough buttons, and for SNES games, I set the back two L & R buttons as start and select and the front two as L & R, with the front buttons being obvious.

Also, use http://www.zophar.net for my emulation needs.

But actually, just recently I fixed up my old NES, so I actually play using the actual hardware nowadays. (I also have a SNES that I play)

21. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

It might help to do some research before you post. :rolleyes:

And actually, I don't think it is illegal to download certain ROMs anymore. There are several ligit sites that offer free ROM downloads for classic system such as Vimm's Lair which offers downloads for about every NES and SNES game you can think of. (Be warned: they impose download limits on the ROMs to save bandwidth I assume, e.i. 1 SNES ROM per person per day) They even have Super Mario World available. I know Nintendo had been disputing the distribution of its property, but seeing as how you can download their games, they must have given up.
    But I haven't been following it too close. I know a while back you couldn't get Nintendo games legally because they were protecting them. Does anybody know how that turned out?

22. rockman2023 macrumors member

Gamepad

After owning my Mac for 2.5 years now, I recently purchased the iShock2, and I'm not completely satisfied with it. My biggest gripe is the D-pad and the analog sticks. Essentially, it's a large playstation-like gamepad. The D-pad is quite clumsy, because when you press one of the four directions, it tends to register a diagonal press. So, if you're playing a 2-D fighting game, you're lucky if you can do any special moves. And forget about playing FPS games with this gamepad. ARGH! When you move the analog stick in one direction, for example, if you want to look around, the stick will force the movement BACK to the center. So if you turn around, and release the stick, it will move you back in the original position. The only good thing about this is that it mimics a flight stick for games like Warbirds 3, where you need the stick to revert control to the center after turning. Personally, I dont like the analog sticks because they feel loose, compared to the Playstation2 dual-shock which feels a LOT more sturdier.

This decent gamepad will set you back $15 - $40 depending on where you shop for it. I'll sell mine for $25; it's less than a week old. If you'd like to use a Playstation controller for your Mac, check out the SmartJoy PLUS or the Playstation to USB adapter at Radio Shack. I dont know if the adapter at Radio Shack works on a Mac, but I'm tempted to buy it anyway; I cant take this iShock2 anymore :mad:

23. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

n64

Does anybody know where to get real n64 roms? All these stupid sites do is play a voting game and you never download anything. I really would like to play some of my old games like mario 64 and zelda on a plane trip with my powerbook.

24. raddspencer macrumors newbie

Not true. They released the game on GameBoy Color a few years ago, and just this week released a GameBoy Advance port in Japan. You can't assume that no one's making profit off a game just because it's old.

That being said, emulation is perfectly legal if licensed, or if it's achieved by reverse engineering. It's the distribution of copyrighted material (game ROMs, hardware BIOS files, etc.) that's illegal. There's a site called StarROMs (www.starroms.com) which has managed to convince Atari to sell its old arcade titles for legal download, and quite a few Japanese console makers have started selling downloads of old Genesis/TG-16 game (though not in the US). Unfortunately, most publishers are withholding the rights to old games, and the only way for most people to play them is to find the original hardware (difficult, especially with old arcade games) or steal.

25. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Re: n64

I don't think there's really a decent emulator for the Mac other than Sixtyforce, which you have to pay for.