Super Mario Bros or Animal Crossing for DS?

Discussion in 'Games' started by gadgetgirl85, Jan 24, 2007.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm in a tossup of which game to buy. I am down to Super Mario Bros and Animal Crossing. I like cutesy games so I'm tempted to go Animal Crossing but Super Mario seemed to get a really good review. What do you think?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Super Mario Bros....Animal Crossing looked decent, but I've yet to pick it up. Mario on the other hand is good old fun. Nothing better then a new Mario sidescrolller(I love those games SO much more then 3D Mario)

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I have both and they each have something unique offer.

Do you want a sidescroller game, or a sims type game? Animal Crossing is way more replayable and in a sense and will never end, but requires time. Mario on the other hand is sooo much fun. :)

<]=)

4. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I'm guessing you mean New Super Mario Bros? If so, get that.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They're both great. Though the majestic feel and charm of AC is very nice, very subtle. Mario Bros is all out action, and quite easy at that too.

2 very different games. But overall AC has lasted me the longest.

7. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

So is the census here that AC has the longevity? I'm looking for a game that will last me a very long time. Its not like Nintendogs is it where you can only do certain things a day?

8. ClassicFitness macrumors member

So grab Animal Crossing because the new Mario DS won't last long enough!!! I would suggest to buy both (that's what I did) because these games can't be compared.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There are certain limits yes. Like once all the fruit is picked and sold that's it for the big money making. You can always fish and do other junk though.
    Though it's far less limiting than Nintendogs. Downright spooky when the townsfolk psycho-analyse you and get it right O_O

10. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'd say it's a step above Nintendogs in that aspect. You can different stuff, but you can only do so much and personally it got really boring. If there wasn't Wi-fi I wouldn't have played. I stopped after a few months cause the friends I made stopped goin' online and it got quite boring. This game is nothing like The Sims or Harvest Moon. If you like to spend a lot of time to customize and collect stuff in your town it's a cool game but besides that it ain't much.

NSMB is a good game but for veterans of gaming, they'll blast through it. Even the extras and finding everything is easily done. The title fits the game perfectly. The "New" Super Mario Bros. is exactly what it is. The Super Mario Bros for this gen.

Both are good choices, really depends on what you want to play. Pick one and get another on a later date when it has dropped in price. If you're thinkin' about the future, I'd say get AC and play that for a while, then when you feel like playin' a new genre and get NSMB, cause if you like AC, you go back and forth. I found NSMB to be more of a one time play. But that's just me. :D

11. sturigdson macrumors regular

Another thing to consider is the WiFi in AC-
    it really comes to life if you get some friend codes and go hang out with friends, trade, chat, etc. Can be tons of fun. NSMB doesn't have any wifi capability, though it's a great game as well.

Just wanted to toss that in there. Frankly- you probably want both! NSMB for short bursts of bliss, AC for longterm wackiness.

12. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

I have both, and maybe it's just me, though I love cutesy games, I can't really get into Animal Crossing. After days of picking peaches, shoveling for fossils or sea shells collecting, I got bored. Maybe there is something that I am not getting or doing right. You spend quite a bit of time if you really want to get anywhere with Animal Crossing.

As for SNMB, its definitely more than a one time play. The graphics are great and maybe I suck at platform games, but some levels take a few tries. If you asked me, i definitely spent more time with SNMB.

13. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

You're not the only one. I thought AC was goin to be my kind of game. I loved the Sims and Harvest Moon, so I though this would fit right in there. The thing that doesn't do it for me is that there really is no point of playin it. There are no levels or great upgrades. There is the house upgrade which is cool, they should have more of that kind of stuff. Everything is collecting for the sake of collecting, which is plain boring. Maybe if there was more incentive in the game I'd actually play. And the Wi-fi is basically just a social thing to show off your town, which is cool, but it takes so damned long to get to the good stuff. Once you actually do get to the good stuff, you're tired of doing the same thing for so many days. Yea you get the point.

14. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The game is a definite keeper. I had to put it down like Nintendogs, because it was intefering with my work. :eek:

If you know others with AC, you can vist their towns. This is actually really cool and something I tried with my friend's son. We were fishing virtually. :)

But as others noted, pick up SMB also. The game is loads of fun.

<]=)

16. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

17. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

18. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

19. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I love Animal Crossing. The bad part is that I forget to play for periods of time and then it's hard for me to get back into it because I have so many weeds and other stuff that just makes me sigh and think that I have to clean my room. Definitely dedicate an hour or so a day to it if you can.

20. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I have not played Animal Crossing but NSMB is fun and like many have said, the main game is fairly short. However, I don't think anyone has mentioned the minigames on NSMB; they are very enjoyable.

21. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

This is going to sound stupid but how do you catch fish? I throw my rod in and get nothing. Any tips/guides would be appreciated :D

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

arg..one more Ds game I need to pick up ...''good'' thing there seems to be a slow down in ds games i want

23. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Wait around the water, you'll eventually see fish swimmin' around. Once you see one, throw the hook as close as you can get and wait. Hook and reel, it's pretty simple.

24. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Cheers. With a shovel or axe do I have to wait until Nooks shop stocks one? They seem to be pretty important

25. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea I think you just have to wait. Or go to someone elses town and you might find one there. Gon' to other town really expands the amount of stuff you can buy and collect.