super mario bros.

Discussion in 'Games' started by thumb, Jun 21, 2006.

1. thumb macrumors 6502

hi,

i have just discovered the world of NES emulation on the mac, and i love it. however, whenever i try to play super mario bros., I can only start in world 0-1 underwater and nothing happens when you finish.

am i forgetting something, it has been 15 years or more since i played this.

thanks

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Just fyi, downloading roms is illegal so be careful where the thread goes.

Anyway, I've seen stuff like that. Dunno why some emulators do that. 0-1 must have been some kind of developer test level or something. Looked for some kind of a patched rom maybe? :confused: just guessing. Have no idea.

3. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Not if you already own the game ;)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Actually yes. It is illegal to download games you already own. The only way it's legal is if you rip the ROM yourself.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

as well as the obvious I had no idea of...

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yayay for the negative and zero worlds. That's all I have to say for now. :p

And who is not ready to admit that they didn't play through that world for at least 15 minutes to see if they could really beat it even though everyone said it never ends? :D

7. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Actually you're wrong. If you rip the rom, that's illegal too since ROM rippers are illegal according to Nintendo. So either way there is no way of having a legal ROM copy of a game you own except to play it on the original console.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What a bunch of arses. Ignore them and there sarky resonses.

Try to find a different ROM maybe?

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo doesn't set the law. Nintendo says that rom rippers should be illegal by the purpose of the device but if you check with US government, it is legal to make backups. There's also a lot of multipurpose devices that can be used to rip roms- I use a flash2advance cable for my GameBoy Advance, and the primary purpose is transferring data to flash cartridges- ripping roms is just something else it can also do.

The US backup laws state quite clearly that it is legal for you to make one backup of anything you own on the condition that you can not transfer that backup to anyone.

Therefore it is legal to rip the rom, but illegal to transfer that rip to others. Regardless of what Nintendo says.

We've already had this discussion a million times.

Anyway, just be careful where the thread goes. Don't mention sites where to get roms and don't talk about how you obtain them, and there is no problem.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's 'their'.
    And we're only advising on the legalities. which means he shouldn't look for another ROM. didn't you see the links to NES hardware and games I posted? They're very cheap.

11. turbopants macrumors regular

To the first poster's comment, that is very strange that you would start in minus world when you start the game. That must be a sort of hacked rom that you downloaded.

If you want to avoid downloading roms and such, the are some free flash Mario games online such as Super Mario Brothers and
    Super Mario World Revived. They don't beat the originals, but are fun to play if you don't have a NES or SNES around, and don't want to mess with the issues of roms and such. :)

12. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

I was in this world once on a real NES. I have no idea how it happened and it's never happened since.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't know if there is a website for it but Mario Forever is a good game too.

14. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

Try downloading the rom from somewhere else. I've encountered this and its either a "bad rom" or a different rom from what you are looking for.

If you get desperate, send me a pm.

15. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a