Super Mario Brothers SNES 4 Mac emulator

Discussion in 'Games' started by maneeshpan, Jan 1, 2007.

1. maneeshpan macrumors newbie

Here's the thing. I have an Intel based Mac Mini from Apple with Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.8 installed and want to play Nintendo games on it using emulation. I got an emulator for SNES but have no Super Nintendo games to play in Mac OS X using the emulator. I never bought a SNES system I just want to play the games for SNES on my computer.

In a nutshell my question is: how do I get the games to play in emulation mode on my Mac? I have Snes9x for Mac OS X and no games to play in it. I don't want to buy the games in the format SNES used if its a cartridge format that won't help me in playing it on the computer.

I am willing to pay for them if need be but still want a version of this game I can play on my Mac using Snes9X. I have the emulator but no games to play using it. It is a waste unless I can get the games. Any ideas do I download the games? Do I request a CD or DVD containing the SNES version of the game? How do I get games I want emulate?

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

Answer: you use google lol,
    and heres the edit after reading whats below - dum de dum ( i read it was ok if you owned the games, maybe its one of those grey areas

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The act of downloading the games is illegal (even downloading games you own is illegal by technicality, which is stupid), so we can't link to any rom sites. At least, we're not supposed to, on MacRumors. *looks at post above*

Use Google.

4. jorradisio macrumors newbie

5. darkwing macrumors 65816

Many of the old snes games have had their copyrights expired and have been released into the public domain even before that. Supposedly the rule is 7 years. However, if the game is trademarked (say, Mario Bros for NES is still trademarked because Mario is still in use today) then you can't get them or something. I'm not really sure how it works. Maybe rom sites just remove things when companies threaten them.

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

thats not true, copyrights last for much longer than 7 years. No video games are in the public domain. As long as nintendo is around they can extend the copyright once I believe. If they have any political influence, they can get congress to extend it for a long long time. Mickey isn't on the road to the public domain, and I highly doubt that Mario will either.

And ROM sites remove files because they're doing something illegal.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hlc

7. zim macrumors 65816

zim

The copyrights for the games are still current (as the post above states). Nintendo is also re-releasing the games on the Wii's Virtual Channel which, in my opinion, is a much better way to play the games. Stop wasting your time with emulation and go buy a Wii and some Wii points :D