Super Mario Kart!

Discussion in 'Community' started by medea, Nov 21, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Anyone else pick up this yet, I can't stop playing it. This was definitely one of my favorite games on the SNES and the 64 and it seems even better now, or maybe it's just psuedo-nostalagia. Anyone try LAN action with it yet?

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Oh god don't get me started with how awesome mario kart 64 is!!! I used to play that game every day with my friends, it has to be one of the best simple racing games ever, and battle mode is hilarious with 3 or more people.
    Try Goldeneye on 64 too, its a really well made shooter, player vs player is really well done, its not confusing and perfect for good ol' duals;)

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

how is the battle mode?

battle mode on the SNES version was just amazing, but on the n64 version it was just...meh.

4. vniow macrumors G4

Is this avalible under emulation? (edit: the SNES version I mean, not the new one)

Is that even legal?

5. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

I'll be getting it in a couple weeks. :) Can't wait. Along with Mario Golf.

Anyway, how's the single player mode? I've heard some reviews say that single player lacks quite a bit, but the multiplayer is good. Also, what about the new battle mode? I've heard varying things about it.

I can't wait to get the game though. I see quite a bit of drunken Mario Kart in my future, hehe. :)

enoch

6. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

heh that was the bundled game with my first n64 :) I loved that game...it got lost somewhere along the way :eek: :(

7. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

well it's a bit disappointing at first, there are only 3 different modes with 4 tracks to play onand you can only play them other human players, but once you start playing them you forget about the disappointment until a few hours later when you realize you have all been playing for much too long and should really go to bed.....

8. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

single player mode is quite fun as they still have time trial mode w/the lap ghosts, that mode alone lasts forever. multi-player action is where it is really at though, especially since you can now use two people to control a cart, one driving the other firing.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm confused. Is there a new version out? I only know about the N64 version.

10. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

Yeah, it's the Gamecube version called "Mario Kart: Double Dash!!"

enoch

11. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

if you own a copy of the game, or if you are just previewing it and say your going to delete it within 24hours, then its perfectly legal ;)

you can find the roms and emulators just about anywhere, i think the best mac one is snes9x or something like that, just do a google search.

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't like the new one very much. It's too... busy. Doesn't have the intensity of the N64 version, which is awesome.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Oh, I forgot about the Gamecube. I was hoping we were talking about a version for Macs :(

PS. I see that a new version of Sixtyforce came out a few days ago. I'll give it a go, but it might be a bit too slow on my iBook.

14. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

It is, we use to have it at school last year, but I never found out where people downloaded it from.

Haven't played the new game, but from what I've seen it is amazing.

15. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The 2 player team mode is AWESOME. A friend and I played all day, and beat the entire Grand Prix section!

16. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

= more of my senior year of college than i'd like to admit.

17. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

haha, i'm ashamed to say that when a few of us stumble bac kafter a party or the bars, we play for marioo kart for a while, I can usually go first or second depending on whos playing, or if I get the chance to cut corners

18. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Re: Super Mario Kart!

I dont understand......you can hook two Gamecubes up and go LAN game-style??

Explain?

19. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

Re: Re: Super Mario Kart!

hell, you can hook up 8 gamecubes (maybe even 16? not sure) and play LAN-style. each player to a TV, or 4 players per, or whatever your fancy. haven't tried it myself, so i can't tell you what it's like. uh, and also i'm FAR too old to be playing with video games!

(whistles nonchalantly, slides copy of Mario Kart DD off top of desk into drawer)

20. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I just downloaded snes9x. Can you give me any idea on how to work it? do i need to dl games? no idea what to d when i get to this screen...

Attached Files:

• nes.jpg
      nes.jpg
      File size:
      47.1 KB
      Views:
  21. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

You need ROM (read-Only-memory) images (games) to use SNES9x.

Getting the games and figuring all that out is up to you because we cant talk about it here.

And yeah, I just saw the broadband adapter for the gamecube on Amazon. 8 gamecubes?? Wow. That sounds like FUN.

22. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i'm not sure you need a broadband adapter to hook up a LAN; you might be able to do it with just a bunch of gamecubes, some cables, and an ethernet hub.

i think the adapter is used for online game play, although i don't know which games can be played online -- MKDD might be the first.

23. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

That would be true if the Gamecube had a built-in ethernet port...but it doesnt.

"Link the game with eight other players using a broadband adapter and race each other side-by-side using multiple game systems and multiple televisions!"

>>link<<

The "broadband adapter" is nothing more than an external ethernet port methinks.

24. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Once I get some money saved up, I am buying Mario Kart for my sisters. It is one of the games I've been anticipating since they day I bought them a Gamecube since I remember playing Mario Kart SNES and N64 with them all the time. I'm a bit let down by the Gamecube, it just doesn't seem to have the same good feel that SNES did so am glad that at least one good looking game has come out for the GC.

25. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've tried it and it's GOOD

I definitely like Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, but I haven't done any multiplayer games with it yet... Single-player only for me so far. The LAN option does sound neat, though. I'd LOVE to try that out with 8 GameCubes!