super mario rpg lot7s!!!! (snes)

Discussion in 'Games' started by holamiamigos, Mar 16, 2007.

1. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

just wanted to make a thread on THE GREATEST RPG of ALL TIME!!!!!!! POST!

2. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I wouldn't go so far as to call it the greatest RPG of all time (I'd probably vote for Chrono Cross, but you can make arguments for several others and I wouldn't disagree); it was a fantastic game, but it was WAY too short. It took me under 12 hours to beat the game the first time I played through it, and I am the kind of RPG player that will talk to every single person in a town before moving on.

Also, I can't remember what exactly it was, but something about Mallow bothered me quite a bit.

3. pcypert macrumors 6502

I don't even think the creators of the game would try and make that claim. A great, fun game for sure...but far from the greatest.

Paul

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

just because it was rare and never made europe at all doesnt make it the greatest.

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

It was fun but like someonce once described it, it was meant to be an "introductory RPG" with colorful known characters, easy, linear gameplay mechanics mechanics, player intervention during turn based attacks (timed hits) and an easy to pick up story.

It is a fun RPG but hardly the best, I liked it better than the N64 Paper Mario though (haven't played GC Paper Mario).

I will say something though, Super Mario RPG is much more an RPG than TES IV Oblivion will ever hope to be... :)

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It was a really, really awesome RPG.

I haven't played enough RPGs to brand any Best Ever (and I've heard Final Fantasy VII put up on a pedestal close to Ocarina of Time by some of my FF-crazy friends), but I really liked Super Mario RPG.

7. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if anyone remembers it, but I think my favorite RPG game was Vandal Hearts for Playstation. It was a great mix of RPG and Action, and I wish I never sold that game.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Pssh. Panzer Dragoon Saga, man.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

[​IMG]

10. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

My personal favourite was Final Fantasy Tactics, although that isn't your standard RPG. I thought the story was engrosing and the job system ala FF5 was done to near perfection. Anyone else agree?

P-Worm

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My fave traditional RPG is Golden Sun 1 and 2. Not my genre really so the simple play mechanics sorta helped.

12. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

It was the only RPG i have ever played. I thought it was a great game, just wish i had bought it for the SNES while it was still for sale a retail stores. I can't really justify spending $50 on a used SNES cartridge. Hopefully it will come out for the virtual console.

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It's been rated so it should be out eventually (for the US anyway).

14. holamiamigos thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm so excited for this game!!! but here's a question...... super mario world or super mario rpg???????

15. pcypert macrumors 6502

Super Mario World easy. There's so many super nes games I'd rate higher than Mario RPG...I did enjoy it, but there's much better out there.

Paul

16. cutsman macrumors regular

I'm with you Sky Blue.....CHRONO TRIGGER is by far the best RPG ever made IMO. With FF2 and FF3 (in North America) being a distant 2nd place. Mario RPG personally did nothing for me... and dont get me started about Chrono Cross.. :mad:

I still get goosebumps when i listen to my Chrono Trigger soundtrack. Oh man.. the sweet sweet memories... that game truly touched me in such a deep and profound way that no game will ever fill the void left upon finishing it. haha..

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

did Chrono-Trigger never make Europe officially ? I must have had an import copy then. Best RPG ever. For years after I've called my RPG charaters 'Chrono' :D

Mu god that box art is awful............. I could have sworn the box I had was just the ChronoTrigger name and the clock pendulum..... come to think of it. I think I bought mine from Hong Kong back in the day.

EDIT!!! OMG look at my spelling. Sorry folk's - just blame the St.Patrick's Day hangover.

18. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

nope.

19. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Those games were awesome. :)

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Best of all Camelot are supposedly working on either an unnamed Wii or DS (forgot which) RPG. Music was perfect, game design was simple but had hidden depth with them Djinn things. My stomach went all tingly when you go to Knox and see the physical "end of the world".

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Chrono Trigger was excellent...only rpg I could stand.

Bless

22. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I have a strange feeling many ppl here would want me to play chrono trigger, which is sitting in the next room. Never played it before.

Anyone remember crystalis? I playin that right now

23. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

It was a great game, and the sequel was even better. Chrono Cross is one of only four games ever to get a perfect 10.0 rating from Gamespot.com (the other three were Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Soul Calibur).

24. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Which always prompted me to wonder "what were they smoking"? Chrono Cross started off with such promise, then the bottom just dropped completely out. It truly felt like they'd been 3/4 through a stand-alone game, then decided to tack on the Chrono tie-in. I particularly liked the shoehorned exposition at the very very end: "Oh BTW, Lynx was actually your dad, now go beat the last boss!!!" Or the "Kid is actually a clone of Schala - but we cleverly disguised this by having neither of them actually look like the real Schala & her purple hair!"

I think Gamespot rated the game the way I felt - play about 1/4 and think "there are great things in motion; the payoff will be spectacular!" But I never felt it lived up to its potential. Certainly not in the end-to-end fulfilment sense of OoT. Just my opinion.

Crystalis was like one of the greatest NES games ever. It's like Zelda - but cooler - and with a plot! GAMES THAT NEED A SEQUEL! And a VC release!

25. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

You might want to tack a "SPOILER ALERT" on there in case some people here are inspired to play the Chrono series.

Anyway, what you called shoehorned expositions, I would call carefully planned revelations, all of which make sense when you think back through the game. I have to agree with Gamespot's scoring of Chrono Cross here.