Super Mario World Level Editor

Discussion in 'Games' started by matt18012, Nov 26, 2005.

1. matt18012 macrumors member

This (http://fusoya.panicus.org/lm/index.html) looks really cool. Alas, it appears to be PC only. Has anyone done something like this on osx? I'm less interested in the level editor than I am in the possiblilty of playing a SMW game with all new levels!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I have no idea what that means

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

me neither but it can only be good :) one of the best games I've ever played.

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I whole-heartedly agree!
    Man, it was awesome..

I should fire up the ol' super NES and play it again

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Super Mario World was the sex

In other words. Super Mario World Fracking Rocked

7. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The Lords of Kobol applaud you. :D

And man...I do want to try this out. Too bad I can't play it on my Gameboy! :(

9. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

This is the game that made me realize that I would always be a gamer.

teh s3x0rz indeed.

10. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Speaking of NES, am I the only one who found ExciteBike to be one of the best games because of the 'track design' mode.

I wish I was 6 again. :)

11. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Too bad it doesn't seem to work with Super Mario All Stars With Super Mario World. Probably for the best, though, otherwise I'd be spending far too much time tinkering with this thing.

12. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I know it's no SMW, but SuperTux is great fun, has a level editor, and is Mac-friendly! :)

13. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Yep, it's one of the greatest games of all time. All the old Mario games are, IMO. Well, I didn't really like Super Mario Bros. 2 as much as the others, but it was still good. I'll tell ya a hard one to beat...The Lost Levels. That one was pretty hard to beat. Me and one of my friends just beat it a few months ago.

14. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I had the all star version for snes, I loved all of em, I only beat 1 and 3 though, i loved the flying ability in 3, I never got sper mario 2, it felt strange, also what was the lost levels? Its been years since I played.

15. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

It was also on Mario All-Stars for SNES. That's what we were playing it on. Here's a link to a page about it on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros.:_The_Lost_Levels

16. russed macrumors 68000

russed

yup that game is cool! i finished it, was like being a kid again. now if only they would do a version of sonic. that rocked!

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Lost Levels was really challenging, but I always really liked SM2 for its cartoony feel. And especially with the remixed graphics in the All Stars game.

I remember getting SM3 for my birthday, and we played and played that stuff. I think that was the only time I've ever gotten a game on pre-order. And my mom pre-ordered it at that! :eek:

And who remembers the original Super Mario Bros. trick for infinite lives? Pssh, I never needed it. One day, my friend insisted on doing it over and over again to get lives. And I made fun of him, and said that I had magical powers, and if he didn't stop, I'd use a magical incantation to make him lose all the lives instead of getting free ones. And hmm...apparently on the original NES, if you got 99 lives and then got a 1UP, the game ended. So my magical powers work. :D

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I didn't like SMB2. If I only played it now then i'd put it down to NoA stealing japanese games... but I didn't like it as a kid either.

Know why they didn't release the Lost Levels (aka, the *REAL* Mario Bros 2) outside of Japan? because it was too tough. westerners complained that the first game was too hard.

19. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I read that in the Wikipedia article about The Lost Levels. I believe that it said that even The Lost Levels wasn't as hard as the original SMB2. Crazy stuff.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, but also... the Lost Levels was just new levels on top of Super Mario. That's nice, but sales were probably a lot better for SM2 as a result of it actually being a substantially new game with better graphics, richer detail, more characters, and so on, in comparison to the original SMB.

I know the accounts never validate that viewpoint, but ...

21. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Yeah, that's all Lost Levels was, really, but it was just WAY harder, IMO. SMB2 was a completely different game. As raggedjimmi mentioned, it wasn't even really a Mario game. It was a Japanese game called Doki Doki Panic. It was still a pretty cool game, though. It just wasn't as good as any of the other classic Mario games, IMO. I think it was just because it lacked the same feel of the other games.

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

Nope, youre not the only one. I loved that game, even though I never owned a copy. I had friends who did, and I'd spend a lot of time playing with the level editors. I also liked the descent level editor. And just about any other game in which I could design a level. (TimeSplitters 2).

I guess its just like me though, I like building stuff and then playing with it. treblah, did you play with LEGO's as a kid? They were the best. Still are the best. :D

23. Agilus macrumors regular

My cousin and I had a blast this last weekend with the TimeSplitters Future Perfect level editor. We ended up with a pretty workable level, after putting all sorts of vehicles, ramps, spikes, and tall precipices to drive off of. It was great fun.

24. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, i need to get Future Perfect... it seems like it would be worth it. I only have TS2 (GameCube) but I did make this one pretty cool level, I think. The only thing is that I wish it could have been bigger so that I could have done a CTF map. But it runs an 8 player deathmatch pretty well. I guess with vehicles, the levels must have to be larger.

25. MrC539 macrumors newbie

I'd say SMW was the best. Lost levels sure were tough though...

Is anyone else planning on getting a Revolution just to play all the classic games? :D