SUPER Newbie with LaserJet 6L problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jipster, Sep 6, 2006.

1. jipster macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2006
    Hi all, I'm a complete newbie to Mac (and not that proficient at computer talk, either:eek: ). I have an iMac intel duo and I bought a parallel to USB cable to hook up my old LaserJet 6L. It was recognized in the printer utility and the first test print I did (of an e-mail) printed fine. Then I tried to print something else and no go! Any clues as to why it would print one time and then no more? Thanks in advance for any help!
    Edited: More info to add: Here's what happening: It will print the first time I try to print anything (e-mail, web page, etc.). Then the next time I try to print, nothing. If I unplug the printer and plug it back it back in, then try to print again, it will print. But only that one time. Then it won't print again. Unplug, re-plug, it prints once, then nothing. And over and over and over again - same scenario. (it doesn't matter if I unplug the power, the USB or the parallel port, the same thing happens). I also have a older DeskJet 895 Cse that has a USB port in the back of it and it prints fine. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks.
  2. kingtj macrumors 68020

Oct 23, 2003
    Brunswick, MD
    Printer problems....

I can almost guarantee your problem lies with the parallel to USB converter cable you're using with the 6L.

I used to work for a guy who had a similar setup (different model of parallel printer though) and he had the same weird printing issues with it. You'd usually get it to print once, and not again until you turned it off and on again or rebooted the computer.

It's not the cheapest solution, but one possibility might be buying a printer shaing box that lets you plug the parallel printer directly into it, and then you plug the box into your ethernet LAN network - turning it into a network printer. (A used HP "JetDirect" box found on eBay might be a good start.)

This assumes, of course, you even have a LAN set up ... but if you've got a cable modem or DSL Internet service, you probably do. (If you use a Linksys router or anything like that along with the cable or DSL modem, you've got a small ethernet network right there!)

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Following on from this hint, I have been using a Laserjet 6L with a DLink DP-300 Printserver for well over a year with absolutely no issues. It was literally a set-and-forget deal.
  4. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Aug 6, 2006
    HP Jet Direct box is the way to go. I've been using my Parallel printer for 6 years now, no problems.
  5. jipster thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2006
    Thanks folks. Now, I just need to find out what a Linksys router, Jet direct box, etc. is (told ya I'm dumb!:eek: ) Seriously, I appreciate your help so much. It's just that I don't know much other than "point and click". I got myself some learnin' to do!!!