super-slow Mac to PC connection

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sjcaguy, Jan 22, 2004.

1. sjcaguy macrumors regular

I'm trying to move my photo archives (huge, several gigs) onto my iBook, even though I've had the iBook for a while.
    I'm running a Linksys router and the PC is connected via ethernet, while the mac is using AE to connect. I can see the mac just fine from the PC and can move files, it's just painfully slow.

I tried connecting them directly and it was remarkably slow as well.

Not sure what the problem is. I have checked settings and everything appears to be fine; both computers are browsing the internet at blazingly fast speeds, so that's not the problem-- the hardware is working fine in each of them.

I turned the firewall off on the Mac. That didn't speed things up.
    I tried moving an mp3 just now, and it took 3 minutes to move a 4mb file. this can't be right.

help!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: super-slow Mac to PC connection

What is the data transfer rate of your router? What is the data transfer rate of your PC? Are you using a closed connection between your two machines, or is your network open to other devices? It is my understanding that AE is effectively about 27 Mbps. That is about 1/4 of 100 Base-T. Your transfer rate can only be as fast as the slowest link in your connection.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

things i would try:

1. resetting the router
    2. swapping out the PC's ethernet cable

okay, that's not many things.

directly w/o the router, or through the router w/ no airport?

if the former, try connecting the ibook to the router w/ a cable and see if that helps.

what OS is the PC running?

4. sjcaguy thread starter macrumors regular

i tried connecting them directly, no router.
    i haven't tried wiring the ibook.
    the router is a "b" standard router.

the network card in the pc is a 10/100 and its 100 light is lit up.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

take the wifi out of the equation and hook them up via the router. if that doesn't improve it, try the two fixes i listed above. if still no improvement, i'd look at network configuration values on both machines.

6. Crikey macrumors 6502

I second the last poster: you are probably seeing typical 802.11b transfer rates. Plug the iBook into your router with an Ethernet cable and it will move much faster.

Good luck,

Michael