Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
I'll need to do some digging to see if I can find a full-sized DisplayPort adapter, in order to test two displays. I'm also curious as to whether it will support 2560x1440, and not just HD? Sadly, most of the cables I have around here are mini-D, so that has to wait.

Regarding the charging capabilities, it's pretty weak. looks like we're dealing with 5vx3A, so about half the wattage of the Apple charger. Having said that, it's looks like enough juice to keep things topped off, or provide a slow charge. While tempted, I'm going to do a bit more research before trying to plug my Apple charger into the dock... ???

Now, here's the really weird thing - while this dock appears to work with the rMB, it does not like my new XPS-13? I get a blue light, when plugging in my rMB, but a red light with my XPS. The display doesn't work, and it doesn't appear to be charging? perhaps MS did something to intentionally limit their doc, on Windows platforms? Strange??? This isn't a deal-breaker for us, as we have two rMBs in the house. also, this little critter makes a great travel device... very small and light. But it sure would be nice if it worked with both the rMB and the XPS.

Microsoft-Display-Dock2.jpg

Thanks for your ongoing 'review'!
You mentioned it makes a great travel device. Does that mean it works as well without the power adapter?
And about how long is the included usb-c cable (I would like to have the possibility to get the dock out of the way) or can you use your 6ft Apple usb-c cable to connect the dock to the rMB?

ninja2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
I'll need to do some digging to see if I can find a full-sized DisplayPort adapter, in order to test two displays. I'm also curious as to whether it will support 2560x1440, and not just HD? Sadly, most of the cables I have around here are mini-D, so that has to wait.

Regarding the charging capabilities, it's pretty weak. looks like we're dealing with 5vx3A, so about half the wattage of the Apple charger. Having said that, it's looks like enough juice to keep things topped off, or provide a slow charge. While tempted, I'm going to do a bit more research before trying to plug my Apple charger into the dock... ???

Now, here's the really weird thing - while this dock appears to work with the rMB, it does not like my new XPS-13? I get a blue light, when plugging in my rMB, but a red light with my XPS. The display doesn't work, and it doesn't appear to be charging? perhaps MS did something to intentionally limit their doc, on Windows platforms? Strange??? This isn't a deal-breaker for us, as we have two rMBs in the house. also, this little critter makes a great travel device... very small and light. But it sure would be nice if it worked with both the rMB and the XPS.

Microsoft-Display-Dock2.jpg

Oh wow that is really odd. I have an XPS 15 and the apple HDMI adapter works with that so wonder what MS have done. The MacBook 29w charger will not charge the xps at all though or even maintain the charge (like the MacBook does with a lower wattage charger)

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
It has its own power adapter, which is less than half the size of the Apple charger.

I did try to use the Apple cable between the rMB and dock, which DID NOT seem to work? Not sure why, and it will warrant further testing? The cable from the power adapter to the dock is about 6ft, but the cable from the dock to the laptop os only 3ft.

I mainly said it would make a great travel dock, because it's downright tiny. The dock itself is about the size of the rMB charger, with its power supply being less than half of that.

I was't able to find a full sized DisplayPort adapter. Sure would be nice if someone else who bought this doc had one. If nobody does, I may pick one up in a day or so. the two during questions are:
1. Can the displayPort output 2560x1440?
2. Can the dock support the driving of two displays, simultaneously?

I still haven't had a chance to assess rMB charging capabilities, but I will say that my rMB is still sitting at 100%, after a couple hours. Two other burning questions I have are:

1. Why doesn't this dock work with PCs? All I can think of os that MS did something deliberate to restrict its use to their phone, within Win 10 code? again, this doc doesn't work with my XPS13.
2. Is it restricted to its small power adapter, or would it support larger ones? I did briefly try my Apple charger, and that was a no-go. But frankly, I only gave it a couple seconds, because I was worried I'd fry it.

Overall, there is a bit of weirdness going on with this dock. I suspect MS did some things to lock down its use case, specifically for their new phones...?

Thanks for your ongoing 'review'!
You mentioned it makes a great travel device. Does that mean it works as well without the power adapter?
And about how long is the included usb-c cable (I would like to have the possibility to get the dock out of the way) or can you use your 6ft Apple usb-c cable to connect the dock to the rMB?

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Hmmm...." My Apple charger seems to work with my XPS13, tough I do get the standard warning about charging at lower rates, because I'm under 60w. Looks like the Google 60w charger will be the universal go-to brick?

Oh wow that is really odd. I have an XPS 15 and the apple HDMI adapter works with that so wonder what MS have done. The MacBook 29w charger will not charge the xps at all though or even maintain the charge (like the MacBook does with a lower wattage charger)

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
It has its own power adapter, which is less than half the size of the Apple charger.

I did try to use the Apple cable between the rMB and dock, which DID NOT seem to work? Not sure why, and it will warrant further testing? The cable from the power adapter to the dock is about 6ft, but the cable from the dock to the laptop os only 3ft.

I mainly said it would make a great travel dock, because it's downright tiny. The dock itself is about the size of the rMB charger, with its power supply being less than half of that.

I was't able to find a full sized DisplayPort adapter. Sure would be nice if someone else who bought this doc had one. If nobody does, I may pick one up in a day or so. the two during questions are:
1. Can the displayPort output 2560x1440?
2. Can the dock support the driving of two displays, simultaneously?

I still haven't had a chance to assess rMB charging capabilities, but I will say that my rMB is still sitting at 100%, after a couple hours. Two other burning questions I have are:

1. Why doesn't this dock work with PCs? All I can think of os that MS did something deliberate to restrict its use to their phone, within Win 10 code? again, this doc doesn't work with my XPS13.
2. Is it restricted to its small power adapter, or would it support larger ones? I did briefly try my Apple charger, and that was a no-go. But frankly, I only gave it a couple seconds, because I was worried I'd fry it.

Overall, there is a bit of weirdness going on with this dock. I suspect MS did some things to lock down its use case, specifically for their new phones...?

Thanks! We will keep you busy ;-)

3ft for the usb-c cable is a bit short. Could you try your 6ft Apple usb-c cable or is that one only for power and not data-transfer?

Charging sounds ok for me. Your rMB still at 100% after a couple of hours is not too bad!

So it is tiny and a great travel dock but can you use it without the power supply when out in the field?

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012

According to Microsoft specs - it only supports 1080p. That, along with lack of USB3 ports and low-wattage charging makes MS Dock non-suitable to me. And it's certainly far from being "the best Macbook dock" - Apple Digital A/V adapter doesn't have any of those issues.

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
and you may be right? Then again, those specs were written with Lumina Phones in mind. Again, it looks like MS intentionally tried to disable PCs form using these docks. So, i wouldn't be surprised if the DP supported 2560x1440... and that's what I intend to try, as soon as I can find one of my old cables.

According to Microsoft specs - it only supports 1080p. That, along with lack of USB3 ports and low-wattage charging makes MS Dock non-suitable to me. And it's certainly far from being "the best Macbook dock" - Apple Digital A/V adapter doesn't have any of those issues.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
But mine is putting out 1920x1080, with the HDMI port. the display I'm using it on doesn't support res higher than that, without DP.

I should clarify I have this hooked up to my Apple LED display. The resolution isn't very good. Maybe its better with hdmi.

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
HDMI was seamless on my end, at least for 1920x1080. But I'm in a jam beyond that, as the higher res displays I have will only go beyond that with DP. Unfortunately, all my cables are mini DP.

But really, I would not be surprised if this dock could at least do 2560 via DP. Again, the specs MS put out were for their Lumia phones. I think they intentionally disabled Windows boxes from using the dock, but didn't suspect us Mac types would give it a shot. Nowadays, in 2015, does anyone even make a DisplayPort that doses support at least 2560? Maybe I'm wrong, but sure wanna' try.

Yes, not having USB 3.0 is a bit of a bummer, but I will not likely be hooking external drives up to this system, which is the only thing I'd need USB 3.0 for. For the occasional thumb drive transfer, I'll most likely be traveling anyhow. So, USB 2.0 isn;t a deal breaker for me, though it may be for others.

Now, 2560 is more compelling for me. Even if it doesn't support that res, I still may keep this little dock. When I travel for work, most of the guest cubes and offices I borrow only have HD displays anyhow, so there's that. and I do have a couple floating around the house that'd be nice to hook up to our two rMBs. Hmmm?

I should clarify I have this hooked up to my Apple LED display. The resolution isn't very good. Maybe its better with hdmi.

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
What resolution does your display support? What's native? and, I'm assuming you're using a rMB? did you have to use an adapter to open up from mini-DP?

ninja2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
Hmmm...." My Apple charger seems to work with my XPS13, tough I do get the standard warning about charging at lower rates, because I'm under 60w. Looks like the Google 60w charger will be the universal go-to brick?

Yeah, ,my XPS 15 comes with a 130w charger. It is just a shame as the laptop idles at about 10w, but obviously when the GTX 960 kicks in it can use about 90w

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
I may not get a chance to grab that full sized DP cable, for the next couple days. Sure would be nice if somebody had one and could test this dock's ability to go up to 2560x1440, and do multi displays?

FYI - If anybody does feel like giving it a shot, the MS store is pretty nice about educations discounts. As a parent with a few kids in K-12 and a woman who is getting yet another Grad degree, I just mentioned I had kids in school, and they immediately cut the price by 10% to $89, without having me dig up proof.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Amazing!!!!

I'm still testing this out, but I may have found the best Macbook doc available at this time - and it's from Microsoft!

Here it is...
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/accessory/hd-500/

It's $99 from the MS store, so I bought one. It comes with a power supply and USB-C cable. It has three USB 2.0 ports (with they were 3.0), an HDMI port, and a Display Port. Don't know what version of HDMI or DP it supports?

Anyhow, I just plugged my 12" rMB into it, and it;s flawlessly driving a HD display, via the HDMI port. Now to scramble and see if I have a Displayport adapter sitting around, to see if it will drive my 2560 displays. also wondering whether it will support two displays?

It does appear to be charging, via the USC-C power adapter, though I'm not sure of the charging rate or voltage? More testing to be done, but this is a nice start.

Thanks for posting this. When I read a review of this phone I was wondering if this dock would work with a Macbook.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Pretty interesting read for an office dock. I'll keep following the updates for the MS Dock

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
Yes, not having USB 3.0 is a bit of a bummer, but I will not likely be hooking external drives up to this system, which is the only thing I'd need USB 3.0 for. For the occasional thumb drive transfer, I'll most likely be traveling anyhow. So, USB 2.0 isn;t a deal breaker for me, though it may be for others.

Would be nice if you could you give us an update on your experience of the dock.
Still satisfied about its charging capacity? Any idea at what rate it charges? Some info from coconut battery maybe?
And when traveling can you use it without the charger for the occasional thumb drive transfer as you mentioned?
Thanks

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Sorry for the delay... traveling, and somewhat swamped with work. So, I'll probably be returning it, as it doesn't meet my needs. Here's what I know so far.

Pro:
- Does a good job displaying one 1080p monitor, with the rMB
- Charges the rMB, with its own charger and cable, albeit at a slow rate. It's fast enough to even trickle charge while working, but significantly slower than Apple's charger. I din't have lots of time to fiddle with charge rates and what-not
- USB 2.0 ports work fine, and there are three of them

Cons:
- Will not work with my XPS laptop
- Does not display any resolution above 1080p, though I did try a number of cable/display combos (full-sized DP, various HDMI, 4k, 1440p, etc)
- Will not output to more than one display any a time
- Does not allow you to power form Apple charger, for later charging
- Does not work like a jungle, unpowered

for me, noting above 1080p was the nail in the coffin. Also the fact that it didn't work with my XPS or support dual displays. So, I'll be bringing it back to the MS store this weekend.

But if all you need is support for 1080p, slow charging, and USB 2.0 ports, this may work out well. It's not a bad deal, considering it does come with cables and its own charger. For someone who just needs a dock to support a 1080p display, USB peripherals, and would like to avoid shelling out the additional $80 apple charges for a USB charging brick and a cable, this may be a perfect solution. But alas, it isn't for me.

I'm now waiting to see what Dell does with their TB3 dock...?

Would be nice if you could you give us an update on your experience of the dock.
Still satisfied about its charging capacity? Any idea at what rate it charges? Some info from coconut battery maybe?
And when traveling can you use it without the charger for the occasional thumb drive transfer as you mentioned?
Thanks

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
Sorry for the delay... traveling, and somewhat swamped with work. So, I'll probably be returning it, as it doesn't meet my needs. Here's what I know so far.

Pro:
- Charges the rMB, with its own charger and cable, albeit at a slow rate. It's fast enough to even trickle charge while working, but significantly slower than Apple's charger. I din't have lots of time to fiddle with charge rates and what-not

Cons:
- Does not display any resolution above 1080p, though I did try a number of cable/display combos (full-sized DP, various HDMI, 4k, 1440p, etc)

for me, noting above 1080p was the nail in the coffin. Also the fact that it didn't work with my XPS or support dual displays. So, I'll be bringing it back to the MS store this weekend.

But if all you need is support for 1080p, slow charging, and USB 2.0 ports, this may work out well. It's not a bad deal, considering it does come with cables and its own charger. For someone who just needs a dock to support a 1080p display, USB peripherals, and would like to avoid shelling out the additional $80 apple charges for a USB charging brick and a cable, this may be a perfect solution. But alas, it isn't for me.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to update your review. Very helpful to me.
I'll wait for the caldigit usb-c mini dock to come january 2016 for about the same price.
That one has usb 3.0 and you can use it unpowered which will come in handy at times.
It allows you to use Apples charger to power it as well and hopefully at the same rates.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark

Pro:

Cons:

Thanks a lot for the update. I think I might take the jump on one, if the monitors on my new job's office supports 1080p and HDMI - would be a great small dock when in the office and I would probably arrive with 100% power anyway :)

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
That's a perfect use case for this dock.

• If you arrived with 50% juice, it'd probably get you to 100% within 3 or so hours, even if you were using it. If you arrive at 100% juice, it would certainly stay there all day, regardless of how hard you push it.
  • It will drive one 1080p fine
  • You won't need to but an extra Apple charger or cable
  • And you'll get three USB 2.0 ports, should you have a USB, mouse, or backup drive
Plus the thing is very small and looks nice. If it supported 1440p, I'd buy two of them. But if you're only interested in 1080p, looks like a good fit.

Thanks a lot for the update. I think I might take the jump on one, if the monitors on my new job's office supports 1080p and HDMI - would be a great small dock when in the office and I would probably arrive with 100% power anyway :)

Last edited:

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
That's a perfect use case for this dock.

• If you arrived with 50% juice, it'd probably get you to 100% within 3 or so hours, even if you were using it. If you arrive at 100% juice, it would certainly stay there all day, regardless of how hard you push it.
  • It will drive one 1080p fine
  • You won't need to but an extra Apple charger or cable
  • And you'll get three USB 2.0 ports, should you have a USB, mouse, or backup drive
Plus the thing is very small and looks nice. If it supported 1440p, I'd buy two of them. But if you're only interested in 1080p, looks like a good fit.

Thanks a million mate - of course 1440p is better, but I'm almost certain that the monitors we have in the office are not above 1080p - It's the insurance industry, so it's not all flashy tech-wise :)

Sounds like I need to find this dock asap - thanks again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.