Super WalMart = Super Monopoly

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Daveway, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Clink

Yet another tragedy as a result of Walmart's monopoly. Win-Dixie is closing many stores in my area because of Super Walmarts.

Walmart is building huge Super centers and offering super low prices until they put all the local grocers out of business and then raises the prices when they're gone.

I saw this very thing happen before my eyes. It only took 3 months for our Win-Dixie to close after a SuperWalmart moved in 1/4 mile away.

Terrible.

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

All of the Winn Dixies in my area closed a few years ago. There are still plenty of smaller grocery stores around like Albertsons, Kroger, etc.

3. mac-er macrumors 65816

4. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

Don't have to. Saw it on TV a few weeks back. Amazing.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have mixed feelings...coming from the north, Winn Dixie is one of the worst grocery chains I have ever been to, at least in North-central and Northeast Florida. The stores I have been to are messy, and are often poorly stocked with unappealing items or a very limited selection, even when floor space is taken into consideration. The employees are not very pleasant to deal with, and there are never very many cash registers open, when compared to Publix or Albertsons or other smaller chains in this part of the country (especially annoying...they'll have one cash register open, and one person bagging and one person checking, even when it takes just one person to run the four self-checkout lines...ugh). They let random people hang out in the doorway and solicit money for dubious causes (not the Salvation Army or anything, but people who seem to be soliciting without any affiliations to a known NPO).

I don't necessarily care for big business taking over small business. But Winn-Dixie, from my experience, isn't a mom and pop. It's corporate rot. They make no effort to provide value to their customers.

It's sad that the jobs are being replaced by Walmart jobs, because they will probably pay less to people who already make a lot less money than they need. But the truth is that chains that treat their employees much better also out-compete Winn-Dixie, because Winn-Dixie is such a poorly run affair.

But then I suppose what I really want is a Whole Foods.... *sigh*

6. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

Amen. The closest one to me is 15mins away. To bad I can only afford to go once a month. Whoa, those people rape your wallet.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'd rather eat half as much food and spend the same amount of money at Whole Foods (since I came back to grad school, my discretionary income isn't what it used to be).... :rolleyes: Sadly, the closest one to me is more than 100 miles away, so it isn't a place I go....

8. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

Whole Foods is a huge high dollar grocery that sells only organic foods. This is the only grocery store I would call "awesome."

9. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I was just about to reply with "What the hell is Winn Dixie?" as I've never seen one. Apparently I don't recall any from my various brief trips to the south.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I like Sainsbury. :)

Walmart.....I know its going to take over China, but I was hoping that more non-American companies would form from the development of China, not fewer.

11. SLCentral macrumors regular

Organic...what a money-wasting load of crap... :rolleyes:

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Our (then) little daughter's first question when visiting a WalMart after returning from overseas. "Daddy, does going to WalMart make your butt big? Everyone coming out has a big butt". :) Okay, it's off topic....
    X

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Winn-Dixie is the biggest, smelliest mess in the grocery chain store business. I'm glad to see them diminished.

It's hard to believe any grocery can charge so much and still have customers. Of course, they have those 2-for-1 coupons, but you pay dearly for those. I don't like Albertsons but I'd rather shop there. Publix, SuperFresh/A&P, even PathMark are all better stores though PathMark is always a circus. Von's in California seems really nice--isn't it what used to be Safeway? They have their products.

Winn-Dixie would have gone away without Wal-Mart SuperCenters and Neighborhood Markets.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You need to visit Wegman's - Fortune Magazine's best place to work in their last roundup. Awesome store/chain. Too bad the closest one to you is, oh, a thousand miles or more away. ;)

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The organic produce at Whole Foods is actually usually not that pricey.... It's really the packaged goods that are insanely expensive there. But it isn't just organic. We have organic stores here. The difference between them and Whole Foods is that at Whole Foods, the quality of the organic produce is high. The small organic grocers here sell poor quality fruits and veggies.... :(

Oh, Trader Joe's should go on any list of awesome grocery stores too. :) Although, IIRC, it is part of the Whole Foods chain now....

16. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

The biggies aren't limited to the Walmart asphalt, at least not here in Michigan. They are everywhere, barreling out of gyms, buffets, etc.

Back on topic... The reason Walmart is able to offer their "goods" at such low cost is because the insurance coverage they "provide" to their employees is laughable at best. This article sums up what is going down in Georgia right now. 10,000 kids on public health care and who picks up the tab? The taxpayer. So yeah, one can go there and save a buck, two bucks, ten bucks, but take a look at your paycheck at the end of the week. All those deductions. Laughable. Hope you got that great deal on the stuff you're gonna pitch in the landfill in six months.

But you have to give credit where credit is due. The system Walmart has set up is pure genius. They have their finger on the sheep's pulse.

I'll continue sticking to the whole foods and what-not here.

17. vwcruisn macrumors regular

you like eating pesticides? thats fine by me, save a dime on that apple dude!

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

A buddy of mine in New Jersey goes on and on about Wegmans. Apparently, they're good, especially the coffee.

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

anybody interested how well the walmart policies,business structures and price policy should read this pdf:
    http://www.agcc.de/media/WalMart's%20fiasco%20in%20Germany.pdf

it's a true classic for anybody who knows the retail german market a little bit
    especially the part about the walmart slogan "always the lowest prices, always" where the most important german customer protection magazine compared the prices from all supermarkets and found out that walmart was actually one of the most expensive ones ... walmart dropped their prices further to be aroudn the same level than the competition, competition dropped their prices the next day ..walmart dropped advertising with the slogan ....

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'm still trying to figure out whether this thread falls under the heading "Politics", "Religion" or "Social Issues". ;)

Nevertheless, I agree with what many others are saying about Winn-Dixie. I don't remember the last time I walked into a Winn-Dixie and thought, "Why, this is such a clean and well-organized grocery store!" We do most of our grocery shopping at Kroger or Bruno's (probably an Alabama-only chain of stores). If we're at a Wal-Mart Supercenter for some other reason, we might pick up a few groceries for the convenience factor (but not because they're cheaper).

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i much prefer trader joe's to whole foods... cheaper and they tend to have more interesting things in my experience.

i've heard very good things about wegman's from a friend who used to have one nearby... sadly, i don't have any near me.

chalk up another kill for wal mart... they're moving into my parents' town in southern (rural) PA... and the people there are brainwashed into thinking it's a good thing, just because they'll be able to get sweatshopped goods for even cheaper! whoooooo!

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I like going to Draeger's when I'm in the Bay Area. Probably the nicest (and priciest) grocery store I've ever seen.

Where else can you buy All-Clad cookware with your produce? :D

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Bringing up Germany is a really good point, since Aldi is such an interesting example of a company that provides low costs without necessarily treating its employees poorly. I even saw an article in which it ranked highly among *suppliers*, at least in Oz.

Supply chain inefficiency and the inability to plan product offerings to match current customer demand are much bigger parts of the cost puzzle for grocers than employee wages....

EDIT: Astonishingly, Winn-Dixie appears to have put out a list of closing stores and the one I occasionally go to, and on which I most strongly based my opinions, is actually not getting the axe! :eek: Although two others in G-ville are....

24. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I'll look into this Wagmans. I've never heard of it, maybe because there aren't any here.
    Kroger seems to be OK. We don't have anywhere, but they are where I go for vacation each year.