Super8 film to digital (size?)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Transeau, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Hey Video pros!

I'm having my wife's family's Super8 Film (about 100 50' reels) restored and transferred to uncompressed AVI. They say that the transfer is done frame by frame, fully digital. Once this is done they will put it on an external hard drive (supplied by me).

My question is this; What kind of space am I looking at? How many megs or gigs am I looking at for each 50 foot (3 minute) reel?

Thanks in advance.

BT

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

you are looking at approximately 26 to 30 GBs I believe.
    my cals...super8 film is approx. 3 mins 10 each which is about 155 minutes so 2 hours 25 minutes

each hour of video is approximately 13 GBs so 2 x 13 + 7 or so is about right.

I will say this, not sure what settings the avi is output at so that may be different. i know they capture each frame to a jpeg and then set the framerate to 'run' or 'play' the jpegs into a movie.

hope that helps.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's MJPEG not "uncompressed AVI", even though you could store MJPEG in an AVI or MOV container. (My Canon digicam does MJPEG in AVi, my Lumix does MJPEG in MOV).

B

4. Transeau thread starter macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Hrmmm

I was trying to figure this out more.. I came up with more like 700M per 3.5 Minute (50', 3600 frame) reel.

Is that a safe bet?

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It all depends on the format and settings they use. AVI and MOV are just containers to hold the info, but they don't tell you wants in the container. It's like saying UPS is going to deliver some brown boxes to you and you are asking us how much we think the boxes will weigh. Well, it all depends on what's in the box. Just like how big the AVI depends on what format is "inside" the AVI wrapper.

If you called the place and asked I'm sure they'd tell you, and you should probably also make sure that they are giving it to you in a Mac friendly format.

I would also inquire about how much it would cost to get tape copies as well so you always have a copy at hand.

Lethal

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

For a worst case assumption, since you said uncompressed AVI, you just have to take the resolution of each frame * the color depth * the framerate (or number of frames) to figure it out, but we don't know the resolution they are going to use so we can't guess.

For 3600 frames @ 640x480 you'd get 640*480*3*3600 = 3.08 GiB per film.

If they used 320x240 that would agree with your estimate of ~770 MB/film uncompressed.

EDIT: 320x240 is (about) 1200 dpi while 640x480 is about 2400 dpi assuming they're scanning the negatives.

B